Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

I agree, players like Amavi and Chery are in a good position as age and a decent reputation is on their side. If Villa want to compete we will have to outbid our rivals. Nothing so much wrong with this, I believe clubs like Swansea and Stoke have done it and that is how they have overtaken clubs like us and Newcastle at present.  

When you are in the position Villa are in sometimes you will have to pay a little bit more than other clubs to get good players.

better than spanking millions on donkeys like Harewood just because they scored some goals against you

the MON era saw us overpay for virtually every player, mainly because we kept buying overrated British players.

• Like 2

The Harewood signing was particularly devastating because the speculation for most of the summer had been about Wesley Snjeider and Jose Boswinga signing. It was the worst O'Neill signing - West Ham knew we were loaded, must have been chuckling away to themselves when it completed.

I officially turned on MON the day he thought Heskey would help see us over the line for fourth. Knew there and then that he narrow-minded fool and that was as good as it was going to get.

• Like 3

£9m feels a lot for a fullback given our position, but then, when you put it into the context of the new TV money and the sheer amount we've wasted on left backs over the past 4 years, £9m isn't too bad as long as we're getting it right this time. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Didn't we pay something like £8m for Warnock as well?

£7.5, which tbh was a decent price, capped by England, rated by Liverpool, went to Blackburn and was very good and sold to us, and he did start well enough for us.

Like many of that Mon built team, you can pinpoint the fall from grace as the day we lost the cup final to man Utd. A large majority of the team, particularly the defense was never the same.

Since warnock we've spent what, 8 million on punts that have not worked out. Id rather we just spend a few more quid and buy this amavi

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

Didn't we pay something like £8m for Warnock as well?

Yup same on Luke Young as I recall as well ...

pretty sure Luke Young was £5m . could have been signed a season earlier for about £2m though.
  • Like 1

Shorey at 6m was a ridiculous one aswell, I never rated him much at Reading and my first viewings of him here were he was just too lightweight and weak to be an LB and never got him.

As much as the whole MON net spend thing has been done to death, there can't be too many managers that have been given permission by boards to sign new back 4s three summers running.

From 2007-09 Zat Knight, Curtis Davies, Nicky Shorey, Luke Young, Carlos Cuellar, Stephen Warnock, Habib Beye, Richard Dunne and James  Collins were all signed. 9 defenders within two years. Carson, Guzan and Friedel also came in that period aswell.

We did finally have a very good defensive set up in 09/10 although helped a lot I think by very clever defensive nous from Petrov and also Milner's energy. And we saw it quickly disintegrated the next season so not a long term legacy.

I officially turned on MON the day he thought Heskey would help see us over the line for fourth. Knew there and then that he narrow-minded fool and that was as good as it was going to get.

Carew and Heskey up front together for a few games on the season's run in was utterly depressing.

£9m feels a lot for a fullback given our position, but then, when you put it into the context of the new TV money and the sheer amount we've wasted on left backs over the past 4 years, £9m isn't too bad as long as we're getting it right this time.

Let's not rule out that it may really be nine million in euros. But even if not, if any position required a major signing it is left-back.

If we can sign him, it's exactly the sort of player we should be signing.

Pay £10m, keep them for 1 or 2 seasons, sell them for a big profit (eg £25m) while having reaped the rewards of that player's good form that has earned said transfer. Buy next one for £10m-£15m. That's how you progress in a realistic way that abides by FFP.

Â