Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

On 3/10/2016 at 14:03, a m ole said:

let's not do this again. He reads the play very well defensively. Unfortunately that is only one aspect of football among a myriad others he has been average or poor at this season.

THIS! theres no point of winning the ball just to give it back. However is this due to the terrible movement and no desire to have the ball from his team mates? From what Ive seen he wouldnt make the pass even if they wanted it. 

Doesnt make him awful just proof that a couple of good stats doesnt make a good player and more knowledge is needed to scout a player than a spreadsheet.

He is good enough for us and others in the Premiership if used in the correct way, he just wont be going to a team in European competition from us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive stats for defensive midfielder..

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-stats-bottom-table-11095744

N'Golo Kante's name has become synonymous with the defensive midfield position this season, with some suggesting the 'Makelele role' should now be changed to the 'Kante role'.

The £5.6m man has arguably been the buy of the season, dominating matches and starving the attacking stars of the Premier League of the space they crave.

David Silva was neutralised over 180 minutes. Firmino was handled at the King Power Stadium. Martial was marshaled in the meeting with Manchester United.

In the Foxes' last outing at Selhurst Park, Kante won 75% of his tackles and made six interceptions as well as completing 75% of his attempted passes.

In the previous match against Newcastle, Kante won 70% of his tackles - winning all five in Leicester's defensive third.

The Frenchman made four interceptions against the Magpies - with only Wes Morgan making more with five - and completed 89% of his passes, which were mostly directed towards Marc Albrighton and Riyad Mahrez to hit teams on the counter.

Kante's exploits this season have turned heads and he is certainly regarded as one of the finest defensive midfielders in the league.

But Aston Villa's Idrissa Gana is, statistically, even more solid than the steely Leicester metronome.

Joining the Midlands side with a £9m price tag brings with it an expectation of high-quality performances and although the midfielder has gone somewhat under the radar, his statistics suggest he has delivered.

In addition, the Villans have conceded 58 times in their 31 games - with a goal difference of -36 - so for a holding midfielder to have such an impressive record is nigh on miraculous.

First off, the claret and blue covering man has won 93 tackles in his 28 appearances - second in the league to only Kante who has completed three more in the 30 matches he has played.

In Villa's last match - the 1-0 defeat to Swansea - Gana made 11 successful interceptions, won 80% of his tackles and created a chance for his team-mates.

In the recent defeat to Everton, the Senegalese international won eight tackles and six interceptions and made 83% of his passes - including three key passes in the final third.

Kante's role as the sweeper in front of the back four has allowed Leicester to play their simple brand of quick counter-attacking to a high degree of quality.

Their midfield terrier has made 126 interceptions this season allowing him to release Leicester's attacking flair at break-neck speed.

The Frenchman has made 29 more interceptions than any other player in the Premier Legaue - apart from Gana who has three more than his Midlands counterpart (129).

Some may argue that, as a Villa midfielder, Gana has had to make more challenges than Kante in a high-flying Leicester side, but the stats suggest otherwise.

Both players average six defensive actions per match and have an almost identical passing accuracy - Kante 82% and Gana 85% - though the Foxes' man has created two more chances in the league this season.

The statistics suggest they have to do a similar amount for their respective sides, but Gana comes out on top in many of the categories.

If the Villa man had signed for a different club the figures indicate he could be making as big a name for himself as Kante is at Leicester, but his season has been cast into shadow by the gathering clouds over Villa Park.

If the claret and blues can hold on to their man in the Championship, Gana could well bring the midfield metal required to push Villa back in to the promised land after just one season in the Football League wilderness.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Second half of the season he's come on a bit - whether that's because everyone else has given up and his natural energetic side stands out more I don't know, but I think he's settled and looks a useful player to have around. I think he'd be very good in the Championship, however, when he arrived here he talked about Villa as a stepping stone to a bigger club, so I can't see him wanting to drop into the obscurity of the second tier.

i think he will leave, but not sure if anyone will pay what we paid for him, same with Ayew, Vertout and Traore.

just have to hope that the ridiculous money floating around in the Premiership means that even the promoted and small teams will splash that kind of money.

Yes I'm a bit dubious about statistics.  I like Gana but he has undoubtedly had some absolute stinkers this season, which we couldn't really afford.  In a better side he probably would be a lot more consistent but that's the same for most players.  I'd like us to keep him next season though.

Gana is probably our best player and I'm sure there will be no shortage of interest in the summer. However, articles like the one above attempting to place his performances on par with Kante's are nothing short of laughable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isa said:

Gana is probably our best player and I'm sure there will be no shortage of interest in the summer. However, articles like the one above attempting to place his performances on par with Kante's are nothing short of laughable. 

He'll be off in the summer no doubt. He was talking of better things the moment he signed so he won't want to stay. 

His stats will impress those who buy players from looking at spreadsheets rather then their own eyes, so I'm sure he will get plenty of offers

29 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

If Kante leaves in the summer I would not be surprised if Leicester go for him..

With champions league football awaiting I think they will set their sights a little bit higher myself.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2016 at 15:58, It's Your Round said:

Gana is one of the few players I really hope we can keep. 

Little chance of that, he was talking about (eventually) moving to a Champions League club at the start of the season so unlikely he'll want to slog it out in the Championship. 

On 24/03/2016 at 17:15, sharkyvilla said:

Yes I'm a bit dubious about statistics.  I like Gana but he has undoubtedly had some absolute stinkers this season, which we couldn't really afford.  In a better side he probably would be a lot more consistent but that's the same for most players.  I'd like us to keep him next season though.

I would imagine that most players, including Kante, have absolute stinkers now and then but I bet you that in a 'decent' side barely anybody would make a thing of it with Gana. I used to think Sergio Ramos was dog shit because I was unlucky enough to watch him have 3/4 stinkers in a row at random intervals. Real Madrid won every single one of those games at a canter mind you. 

Even in a side scraping a 15th place finish, people would be raving about Gana. He had a rough patch after his injury but since Christmas he has been consistently outstanding. 

There's no way he's going to stay. 

• Like 3

I've been impressed by his defensive work, just not so impressed by his work on the ball, he tries things that are beyond his ability (elaborate passes, shots from range etc). He'd be a much better player if his first thought was always the simple short pass. 

That said I think he's one of the very few who is good enough, in a defensive role, to play and even start for most sides in the bottom half of this league. That said, a £9m player? I don't think so. Definitely going to take a loss on him. 

I thought he was better in August tbh although he had a very good game at home to Palace aswell more recently.

He looks as bad as everyone else when we play a decent midfield imo, that suicidal back pass v Man. City sticks out in my mind and I'm sure he also did that in another game a few weeks later, maybe Liverpool although I've tried to erase everything from that game from my mind.

Think he'll go back to France, maybe Marseille or Lyon and he can get his CL football that way.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've been impressed by his defensive work, just not so impressed by his work on the ball, he tries things that are beyond his ability (elaborate passes, shots from range etc). He'd be a much better player if his first thought was always the simple short pass. 

Have you seen the players he has to pass to, I dont blame him shooting ;)

• Like 1

Â