Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

To be honest most weeks if he wasn't on the pitch it wouldn't make any difference. It's nice he runs about and puts an effort in. But there are 35,000 fans who would be happy to do the same for far less than he is paid. I'm free this weekend, i'll be happy to run about for 90 minutes for free. I will make sure my phone is safe on my drive home so I don't accidentally tweet any photos of cars I own or might buy as well.

18 minutes ago, bringbackbigron said:

To be honest most weeks if he wasn't on the pitch it wouldn't make any difference. It's nice he runs about and puts an effort in. But there are 35,000 fans who would be happy to do the same for far less than he is paid. I'm free this weekend, i'll be happy to run about for 90 minutes for free. I will make sure my phone is safe on my drive home so I don't accidentally tweet any photos of cars I own or might buy as well.

Get your boots on son.

Averages 4.2 interceptions per match, joint highest in the league with Kante.

If you want to be a good footballing team, you must have someone that can break down play like Gana does week in week out. 

He may not be the best passer but that's not his primary role. 

To call him another Ashley Westwood is quite ridiculous. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

The primary role of every midfielder is to pass the ball in order to keep possession and link play from back to front. A midfielder who can't pass is like an umbrella that can't keep out rain. You might find some use for it but it's not going to do the job it was bought for. Case in point ex-montreal impact player Nigel Reo-Coker who's career seems to be over at 31. The same was said about him back in the day and look how that worked out.

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

Averages 4.2 interceptions per match, joint highest in the league with Kante.

If you want to be a good footballing team, you must have someone that can break down play like Gana does week in week out. 

To call him another Ashley Westwood is quite ridiculous. 

What's the point in intercepting the ball so much if you then give it back to the opposition? 

He may have joint stats with Kante but he plays nothing like him. 

• Like 1

Westwood can pass the ball - that's it. Doesn't offer an attacking threat or defensive solidity, doesn't make a lot of tackles or interceptions. 

Gana makes a ton of interceptions and tackles, passes reasonably well with the occasional slack one. 

Gana is a far more useful player to have in any team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What's the point in intercepting the ball so much if you then give it back to the opposition? 

He may have joint stats with Kante but he plays nothing like him. 

Personally, I think they play incredibly similarly.  Break up the play and try to drive forward with the ball.

Whether he is as good as Kante is another question.  I think a lot of it is confidence and part of it is having poorer players around you.  Kante has been superb for Leicester, of course.

I like Gueye, though.  I hope he stays.

I should have been clearer. In styles they're similar but I meant the level they're performing at. 

Although I would say while kante drives forward he's also more composed. Gana seems to rush and force things too much at times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I should have been clearer. In styles they're similar but I meant the level they're performing at. 

Although I would say while kante drives forward he's also more composed. Gana seems to rush and force things too much at times. 

I think that's a good point, rushed and panicked when on the ball. Probably a confidence thing but at the moment he's highly frustrating the way attacking moves can break down when he gets the ball. Even the same with his shots. Maybe just trying to play at 100mph too much.

I should point out I always appreciated Makelele, and it is not a good comparison because Makelele was very good at distributing the ball after he won it and could shoot. I know what a good defensive midfielder does and one of the things is not giving the ball straight to the opposition in front of the back 4.

Like a lot of our players, potentially good in a system that would suit him, but I find him highly frustrating at the moment.

As a side note, my phone autocorrected Makelele to 'Snakelike', which reminded me of the player this guy was supposed to replace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

With the possible exception of Gil, Gana usually has nothing to hit as there is precious little movement in front of him. Compare that to what Kante has and it helps explain the "rushed and forced" way Gana has to play.

• Like 1

cant see anyone paying 10m for gana, lets not forget I think its African Cup in january so he will probably be gone for a month as well which we dont need mid season. Definitely sell if we get a good offer for him in the summer. 

Â