Terrorist Attacks June 2015

Tayls

I've not really looked into this all that much but whilst we are on the subject of terrorism and all that jazz I can't understand how there hasn't been another attack in the UK like 7/7

By that I mean it must be a near impossible task to stamp out terrorism and if we are to believe what we hear that extremists are rife in our country it wouldn't need to be a thouroughly thought out plan, it just takes one mad bastard to create a home made bomb and blow himself to ****.

How close do you think we are to another massive attack on the UK? I don't mean anything like Lee Rigby I mean an attack on multiple people in a public place.

I too got on a tube shortly after the bombings. I flew on a half empty plane shortly after the towers.

But I have no faith that the authorities that would be nominally looking after me on a north african holiday would have the ability, desire or wherewithall to genuinely try and protect me. I'm not asking for guarantees, I'm doubting the ability of a north african government to even understand what's needed to competently try and safeguard a north african beach.

Go and take a quick look at a map of north africa and tell me you'd be confident people were able to look after you.

By people I assume you mean in an official capacity ? I.e police , govt etc ?

I wouldn't necessarily rely on those people in my own country

Call me naive but I have a faith in humanity that if I was in a foreign land and trouble like this broke out the local people would look out for me

I say this based on my encounters in places many people would call "hostile " ...

I possibly didn't fully expand the thinking behind that last line. The point was to look at the geography.

In crude terms, you are on a coast line of Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Israel, Syria. I know that's quite a long line, but why would you currently book a holiday anywhere along that line?

I don't think an individual Tunisian is more or less capable or honourable than anyone else.

I do suspect that given a choice of being 'protected' by the UK authorities, or north african authorities, on average I'd still stick with the UK version. 

• Like 1

I went to a school which was 40% Muslim and have never met a bad follower if Islam. Every single Muslim I have ever known ( into the 100s now) have been polite and nice. Whereas I know a number of Christians (out of hundreds I have known) who are part of the local far right, nasty as hell. I see more issues with far right Christians than Muslims!

That's the thing, the majority of us are good people. Almost 2 billion Muslims, yet people are associating Islam with the very small minority of terrorists rather than everyone else.

And even then, these terrorists can't be classed as Muslims when they carry out the atrocities that they do. 'Save a person, it's as if he has saved the whole of mankind. Kill a person, it's as if he has killed the whole of mankind'.

Edited by ismail-villa

Been following the progress of a Tamworth woman feared dead. Turns out she was one of those killed and she is also the mother of Marc Albrighton's partner. Rip :(

yeah I've been following too. Best part of 48 hours without contact meant it was looking that way.

We spent a lot of time looking for a good deal for this year's family holiday (restricted to school holidays) and Tunisia always comes up cheapest because of this security fear. I expect it will be pulled altogether now if it hasn't already.

That's the thing, the majority of us are good people. Almost 2 billion Muslims, yet people are associating Islam with the very small minority of terrorists rather than everyone else.

And even then, these terrorists can't be classed as Muslims when they carry out the atrocities that they do. 'Save a person, it's as if he has saved the whole of mankind. Kill a person, it's as if he has killed the whole of mankind'.

With 2 billion Muslims do you think this community should be doing more to wipe out the extremists operating under the same/similar religiosity banner?

With 2 billion Muslims do you think this community should be doing more to wipe out the extremists operating under the same/similar religiosity banner?

How much do you think they are doing?

Who should be organising this, and from where?

How much do you think the 150 to 200 million shi'a support ISIS?

I've not really looked into this all that much but whilst we are on the subject of terrorism and all that jazz I can't understand how there hasn't been another attack in the UK like 7/7

By that I mean it must be a near impossible task to stamp out terrorism and if we are to believe what we hear that extremists are rife in our country it wouldn't need to be a thouroughly thought out plan, it just takes one mad bastard to create a home made bomb and blow himself to ****.

How close do you think we are to another massive attack on the UK? I don't mean anything like Lee Rigby I mean an attack on multiple people in a public place.

It will happen again, it's inevitable sadly. Whether it's tommorrow, a years time or 10 years something will go off.

I was going to say Lee Rigby, was that seen as IS involvement at the time? Was that group even formed back then?

Didn't they try and repeat the London bombings again two weeks later, but the bombs were out of date and didn't go off? I'm sure loads of plots have been foiled and we have better surveillance of suspected terrorist over here. Some things you still can't stop though.

It's just like the IRA in the past, the authorities knew the players, like they know who these crazy bastards are too, only as in the past we operate a reactive policy and will only touch them if they are in the process of terrorism, what we need to do is change our rules of engagement to be able to act first to save lives.

Not sure why my question to a poster has been answered with 3 unrelated questions from someone else :-/

The questions are 100% related, they're just difficult to answer, and this is an open forum.

IMO of course.

I was just asking our Muslim member if he thought the 2 billon Muslims should be doing more. I then got 3 questions directed back at me from someone else. A yes/no would have been fine.

Â