Terrorist Attacks June 2015

Tayls

No, that's not correct. The degree to which a claim is believable is not in anyway affected by the number of people who believe it. You are mixing cause and effect.

I disagree.

I'm not talking about the scientific or literary definition of "believable". 

Merely the increased likelihood of someone believing a certain scenario.

If you don't think that likelihood increases if billions of people believe it and have done for centuries then that's fair enough. But I wholeheartedly disagree.

No, I absolutely agree with herd mentality. That doesn't increase the believability of something though. This is the fallacy of an appeal to popularity. It doesn't matter how many believe in something; that does not change the nature of the thing. However, as you insist and acknowledge that you are using the word incorrectly, we should leave it there. We are arguing about definitions, nothing more.

believable
bɪˈliːvəbl/
adjective

1. able to be believed; credible.

I'd argue billions of people believing something makes it both more able to be believed AND lends it a lot of credence.

So I don't believe I'm using the word wrongly, just differently to you.

And you cant spell Believable without 'bible'

No, that's not correct. The degree to which a claim is believable is not in anyway affected by the number of people who believe it. You are mixing cause and effect.

I disagree.

I'm not talking about the scientific or literary definition of "believable". 

Merely the increased likelihood of someone believing a certain scenario.

If you don't think that likelihood increases if billions of people believe it and have done for centuries then that's fair enough. But I wholeheartedly disagree.

No, I absolutely agree with herd mentality. That doesn't increase the believability of something though. This is the fallacy of an appeal to popularity. It doesn't matter how many believe in something; that does not change the nature of the thing. However, as you insist and acknowledge that you are using the word incorrectly, we should leave it there. We are arguing about definitions, nothing more.

believable
bɪˈliːvəbl/
adjective

1. able to be believed; credible.

I'd argue billions of people believing something makes it both more able to be believed AND lends it a lot of credence.

So I don't believe I'm using the word wrongly, just differently to you.

And you cant spell Believable without 'bible'

or "lie"

Coincidence? I think not

My college tutor once said to me:

"There are enough resources, minerals and knowledge on this planet for every man, woman and child to live comfortably now and for the rest of time, so why is there war? How do you make the world realise this?"

Which was a marvellously profound and thought provoking point for him to make, but he was supposed to be teaching SSRS joins at the time so a little out of place.

• Like 2

The question is whether since fewer people now believe in religion, are we more rational as a nation?

The fact that both the government and the opposition, think we are in a sufficiently emotional state after the murders in Tunisia, to now accept the extension of air-strikes to Syria, seems to suggest that they don't think we are. 

So our response to having innocent civilians killed is to kill innocent civilians? Surely boots on the ground is a better option if anything?

Edited by Wainy316

dropping a few bombs is much easier than having soldiers on the battlefield but imo it will do very little in terms of stopping isis. it wont be long before we have boots on the ground and unfortunately its the only option but you can bet your bottom dollar its going to leave us more open to terrorists attacks on the homeland. 

I like the idea of boots on the ground across north africa, across Iraq, through Syria and up to the borders of Turkey and Iran in order to finally bring this to a definitive conclusion.

After all, it worked so well in Afghanistan.

• Like 1

So with the news of shootings in Germany - I am probably jumping to conclusions here, but one would expect this to be terror related?

Will probably need to change the name of the thread again to cover the whole of 2015.

When will the killings of innocent people stop?

So with the news of shootings in Germany - I am probably jumping to conclusions here, but one would expect this to be terror related?

Will probably need to change the name of the thread again to cover the whole of 2015.

When will the killings of innocent people stop?

Apparently went down in rural Bavaria so unlikely to be either terrorism or connected in any way to the religion of peace. Some lone wacko seems much more likely.

Â