Ray Wilkins

midian

Certainly an improvement over Roy Keane.

or is it "to", "compared to" or something completely else?)

You could say 'an improvement on' or 'an improvement compared to'. Those would be the most natural choices IMO. 

Thanks, HV. Annoyingly difficult to nail the English prepositions, sometimes.

• Like 1

Welcome Ray!

Delighted. I've wanted this to happen for a while. Wilkins is an likeable and insightful chap. The players have got a massive opportunity to work under some top staff at the moment. This alongside amazing facilities, top support etc. they haven't got many more excuses.

By the way, can anyone find the footage when he swears at a ball boy whilst playing for England? Funny.

You could say 'an improvement on' or 'an improvement compared to'. Those would be the most natural choices IMO. 

No worries, any time!  :thumb:

I agree with you, I think prepositions are the hardest part of English really. 

No worries, any time!  :thumb:

I agree with you, I think prepositions are the hardest part of English really. 

On VT, I sometimes think commas, full stops and capital letters appear to be the hardest part.

But you two guys have nailed that bit.  :)  

• Like 2

I seem to remember Houllier getting lots of stick for saying that.

Yes because the circumstances were entirely different.

Yes. In those days 6th place was the norm.

The Norm I would expect over a period of ten years not 2-3.   Our average is 7/8th over history so I never saw what Houllier said a crime.

Does come across as a bit pompous and patronising at times. However, you really can't argue with his pedigree in the game, should be a very good appointment.

He'd fit in well as a member on VT then :-)

Does come across as a bit pompous and patronising at times. However, you really can't argue with his pedigree in the game, should be a very good appointment.

Keep an eye out for any new members with a nickname like "Baldy Head" or things like that  :ph34r:

Edited by sne

Keep an eye out for any new members with a nickname like "Baldy Head" or things like that  :ph34r:

Or Kryton.

The Norm I would expect over a period of ten years not 2-3.   Our average is 7/8th over history so I never saw what Houllier said a crime.

Well, Houllier took over when we had 3 consecutive 6th places, that's why he was getting some stick. I suspect it was just a throw away remark, and most of us were not bothered by it. More of a problem was that he turned us from a top six side into a top 10 side.

I suppose you could say that he kept his promise. :)

• Like 1

The Norm I would expect over a period of ten years not 2-3. Our average is 7/8th over history so I never saw what Houllier said a crime.

Well, Houllier took over when we had 3 consecutive 6th places, that's why he was getting some stick. I suspect it was just a throw away remark, and most of us were not bothered by it. More of a problem was that he turned us from a top six side into a top 10 side.

I suppose you could say that he kept his promise. :)

He turned us into a top 15 side and then Gary McCallister magically turned us into a top 10 side.

• Like 2

Â