Amsterdam

Jimzk5

Heineken Museum is well worth a visit, lot of bars and clubs though quite expensive compared to UK for a pint. In nightclubs you have pay everytime you use the toilet unless do a deal with staff

Thanks Zatman, wow a toilet tax. Better make sure dont get too smashed then :)

Hang about by the table football game in the Heineken museum and you'll be able to pickup loads of the free beer tokens that people who don't drink or are in a hurry don't want and you can get nicely merry for free ( you get 2 tokens with your entry ticket , which is for 2 small beers , less than a pint)

The sex museum can be worth a quick run through with your mates but you'll see far worse on the internet nowadays

Food wise head for the Argentinian  steak house and get some proper food down you but if you are on a session in all honesty you'll end up grabbing pizzas and kebabs from the countless little café type shops .

The Old sailor on the corner is popular and can be a good place to start before you walk down the main street and almost certainly get talked into visiting a live show ( hint don't sit on the end of the row unless you fancy the idea of participating ..( it involves a woman and a banana I'll say no more )

I quite like Tiger bar down the red light area , it's quite relaxed with a few pool tables downstairs and upstairs you can sit by the window and watch blokes going in to visit the women and have bets with your mates on how long they will be in for  ...

If you find the Tibetan restaurant then opposite is a small bar that does both beer and Space cakes / smokes ... I don't partake myself but in a lot of cases it seemed to me (through my drunken haze) that the cafes were one or the other and not both .. this bar means that those who want to partake can still stay with those that just want to drink  ( someone can probably come along in a mo and say that you can do both in 99% of the cafes)  ... The Tibetan restuannt does quite nice food as well whilst you are in the area :)

If any of your mates suggest a visit to Madam Taussauds  , then kill them with a blunt spoon and throw them in the canal

I have (reluctantly) agreed to go Dam with my cousins in january, barring the usual smoking and red light is there absolutely anything else here?

Bars/clubs any good? Is it cheap? What kind of food do they do over there?

Many Thanks

It's actually a very nice and very cool city. I went years ago with a group of mates and it was all about the drinking and smut, but then I went back with my girlfriend (of the time) and realised that it's a fantastic place. 

What kind of things are you looking for? Cultural? So stuff like the Van Gogh museum, for example.

In terms of nights out: stay away from some of the tourist traps and you'll find some amazing clubs/bars (Check out Thrillist for nightlife suggestions, but there is plenty). 

You could do the Ajax Experience, but I'd sack that off and get a bus to Volendam to watch Volendam FC play in the Dutch second division. That's proper football! 

'Reluctantly' agreed to go :)

C'mon Demitri, I bet it was your idea!

Amsterdam is a great city. Lots of museums, galleries, good bars and clubs etc. Oh, and the sex and drugs as well Can't forget that! It is a fantastic place for a weekend break 

Horses for courses but behind Bratislava I'd  say it was one of the worse places I've been.... Just not a fan , maybe it's just I went there so many times when unimaginative friends decided we should go there for lads weekends / stag do's etc 

Maybe if I took drugs and shagged prostitutes I'd have a different opinion but it's just a bit meh for me 

Probably over exposure to the place Tony. I've been 3 times - all stag do's. First time I did the drugs, second time I was cultured, doing the Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum and Heineken Experience, along with Ann Frank's House and a few other things... the last time was just drinking far too much. 

I probably wouldn't go back but I had a lot of fun when I was there. 

Horses for courses but behind Bratislava I'd  say it was one of the worse places I've been.... Just not a fan , maybe it's just I went there so many times when unimaginative friends decided we should go there for lads weekends / stag do's etc 

Maybe if I took drugs and shagged prostitutes I'd have a different opinion but it's just a bit meh for me 

Dont say that Tone!! I might be going bratislava for a stag next year! i thought Riga was up there for your worst places?!

And btw thank you both for your input, Xela I can assure you it was reluctant. i am very cheesed off at the hotel I booked, did on booking.com said pay on arrival and the hotel didnt just take £400+ out of my account and now I am overdrawn not impressed!

The red light district, whilst worth a quick look just to say you've seen it, is mostly worth avoiding. I also don't think it's worth going to Amsterdam just to waste time sitting in coffee shops. I'd say neither of those things if you'd have got involved would have enhanced your experience of it.

The real nightlife is immense, though. 

I'd be interested to know where people went for nights out? 

We went to a different club each night - Chicago Social Club (it was supposed to be locals only, but we charmed the door girl to let us in), a place called Paradiso and then Club Air. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2015 at 11:10, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The red light district, whilst worth a quick look just to say you've seen it, is mostly worth avoiding. I also don't think it's worth going to Amsterdam just to waste time sitting in coffee shops. I'd say neither of those things if you'd have got involved would have enhanced your experience of it.

The real nightlife is immense, though. 

I'd be interested to know where people went for nights out? 

We went to a different club each night - Chicago Social Club (it was supposed to be locals only, but we charmed the door girl to let us in), a place called Paradiso and then Club Air. 

Im going next week Club Air is one of the clubs that I am thinking of going to how was it? Are they quite anal about men getting in clubs over there? As I am only going with about 6 guys. Four of them want to just get stoned while me and two others are more interested in seeing the city and raving.

Although the sex museum may receive a visit :)

• 2 weeks later...

So im back from Amsterdam have to say its a pretty average city. Night life is ok, foods meh. Never seen a place try rip you off so much. Cabs are the worst here, they quote you a price and then when they drop you they try add extra 5-10 euros. Then the bloody shops i witnessed first hand they charged my mate 15 euros for two bottles of water and some milka biscuits but then charged a dutch person 8euros for two bottles of same water and more chocolate! 

Joke. No hurry to go back that's for sure.

as previously stated I'm not a huge fan of the place but  I've never encountered the over charging thing in taxi's or in shops when I've been  ..maybe you just got unlucky  ?

even 8 euros for 2 bottles of water and a choc bar sounds like a rip off though !!

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

as previously stated I'm not a huge fan of the place but  I've never encountered the over charging thing in taxi's or in shops when I've been  ..maybe you just got unlucky  ?

even 8 euros for 2 bottles of water and a choc bar sounds like a rip off though !!

funny enough spoke to alot of english people on flight on way back to London and they all said similar things that they were getting ripped off. Definitely wont be going again.

• 3 years later...

Haarlem is a nice city with no tourists.  20 mins from Amsterdam.  Got canals and stuff and is really old.  Oldest newspaper is from Haarlem (I think?).  Loads of Churches,  small streets, canals and loads of shops.

Image result for haarlem shopping

Haarlem (You can at least walk around with no tourists in the way)

2 stops after Haarlem.....

There is a beech 30 mins away from Amsterdam on the train (Zandvoort) - Where the Grad Prix track is.  Beech well nice and really huge. 

Image result for zandvoort beach 

Zandvoort

A few Dance clubs on the beech (2km up the beech) Bloemendaal 

Image result for bloemendaal beach

Bloemendaal 

I don't go to Amsterdam if I can help it.

We're looking pretty much all over Holland now, trying to do a saturday in Amsterdam to see the banksy stuff then a Sunday in either venlo or roemond to do the Sunday shopping that you can't do in Germany 

Not many places for under €80 For 1 night, Holland seems really expensive for hotels let alone Amsterdam 

• Like 1

Â