Amsterdam

Jimzk5

I'm going on a stag do in September but I'm only doing the Friday and Saturday, planning on coming back on the sunday morning (the rest of the group are staying till monday night) so I'm booking separately

What I'm looking at doing is rather than pay for hotel in Amsterdam (they seem a tad expensive) & I'm not stopping a hostel, staying at the ibis or similar at the Schiphol airport, this would mean making my way to the city itself, just how easy is it from the airport to city centre?

Any tips appreciated

Edited by Jimzk5

Very easy. About 20 minutes on a train and about €3 I think. I'd still book in the same hotel as your friends though, just for ease after a night out. Alternatively, try AirBNB

better off staying in city centre and cheap in hostels or AIRBNB as suggested, hostels arent too bad either if honest in Amsterdam as they are pretty decent

Edited by Zatman

Believe me, some of the people going are lunatics, not just "oh, he's a character isn't he" types, they are just lunatics, they've got kicked out of hotels on stag do's from Barcelona to Dublin for being dick heads, hence why I'm only doing the 2 days and want to be in my own room when I can

Its my best mates stag do and I do want to go, I'd rather just be at a distance when they do something mental

Do the trains run all night? For ease I'd rather stop in the city. There must be some fairly cheap small apartments on Air bnb?

Do the trains run all night? For ease I'd rather stop in the city. There must be some fairly cheap small apartments on Air bnb?

From what I can gather there are 4 trains an until 1am, then 1 train an hour until 5am

Yeah that airbnb looks cheap, 1 room apartments for £22 a night, seriously considering that

Edited by Jimzk5

• 4 weeks later...

I found Amsterdam less tolerant of drunk wild stag do's than other Eastern european cities.

so your lunatic friends are probably going to get themselves arrested and spend a night in the cells  :P

oh, and if you get robbed don't bother reporting to the police - they will just shrug and refuse to log it.

and even if you threaten to the police in a police station that you're off to murder someone as they don't log crimes, they still won't be bothered.

Edited by ender4

• 2 weeks later...

Try the stayokay hostels, the one we stayed in was sweet as, 4 in our room, no hassle, pool table and bar downstairs, away from the aggro in town too.

If you would prefer the aggro, stay at Durty Nellys, right on the red light, minutes away from all the good stuff.

Enjoy the place for what it is too, as said above boozy groups of blokes aren't that common there (most of the beer hounds get too battered in the coffee shops too early in the day), don't skip something thinking it'll be seeds or not your seen, do it while you're there and enjoy it man. The first time I went, I ended up going three times the same year, it blew my mind man, and some of the women, not just the tarts, christ mate SMOKING HOT.

But, always check your change there, sometimes the bars will short-change you

It seems bleeding obvious, but clear thinking is usually in short supply in Amsterdam - Don't buy drugs on the street.

If you're with a group, there's usually someone that wants something not on the menu. It's likely that you will be offered, er, just about everything.

What is proffered as a sample is exceedingly unlikely to be what you walk away with, they have palming skills like Paul Daniels.

Don't fall asleep in the parks, or you may find someone takes a razor blade to your pockets to remove the contents.

Keep an eye on your baggage in transit. Turn your back on your stuff at your peril.

Basically petty crime is a high art over there, there are lots of confused bozos to prey upon.

On the plus side, you probably won't get bored in the central areas around the station, but if you fancy a change of scene, De Pijp is a nice place to spend an afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I went (2012ish), it was anywhere between 4 and 7 euros for a beer, so depending on how much you're planning on drinking. You won't get much in terms of 'entertainment' for that mind, YE GET ME LAD!?

• 1 month later...

I have (reluctantly) agreed to go Dam with my cousins in january, barring the usual smoking and red light is there absolutely anything else here?

Bars/clubs any good? Is it cheap? What kind of food do they do over there?

Many Thanks

Â