Moving abroad - who has done it?

Chap of Steel

Firstly, my apologies if a similar thread already exists but I couldn't find one.

As someone who loves to travel I've often entertained the idea of someday moving abroad and find it interesting to hear stories of people who've left the UK for pastures anew.

Seeing different locations from time to time under VillaTalk posters' avatars I thought I'd ask you guys.

Would be great to hear of your experiences.

Did it.

Poland is great initially but once you settle and you're earning Polish wages then the novelty wears off.

Plenty of work for English speakers too with outsourcing.

• Like 1

I did it back in 2001 and moved to Budapest

Hungary wasn't in the EU then so I had to leave the country every few months and take the train to Austria to get a new entry stamp  ... I could have registered with the local authorities etc but couldn't be done with the hassle ( everything is a hassle in Hungary if it involved bureaucracy )

I joined up to a language school and whilst not fluent at least I learnt enough of the language to get by , assuming you head somewhere non English speaking that would be my first piece of advice

tbh wages in Hungary were low to that point a months salary was about what I'd use to earn in a day back in the UK , I'd sold my house and the bank interest rate was pretty good so I was able to live off the bank interest alone and wasn't desperate to find a job to survive  .. but it was still a bit of a shock not to be in demand work wise , having always been kinda head hunted for work in the UK.... probably though get a job working with locals so that you are using the language day in day out and become more fluent .. I played football with a couple of teams out there and learnt to swear in Hungarian :) and pick-up the more informal words they use that you don't get taught in language class

My main reason for going was that had the now Mrs H come to England at that time I doubt the relationship would have survived ... I used to get a 5:30 am train to London and get home around 19:00  , even later on a lot of nights , her English was good , but not that good  and again being non EU companies weren't really prepared to give her a job as her stay was limited to 6 months  ... she'd have been homesick , lonely and bored in all likelihood  .... by going out there I had a year off work and we got to make longer term plans , which ultimately we decided were better suited to the UK , but it was a great experience and one I'd do again if the situation arose 

• Like 3

I'm American. I've lived abroad in Czech Republic and Israel. I'm currently back in the States and looking at other options overseas—maybe Asia this time. We'll see. There are challenges associated with making such a big jump, of course, but I obviously think it's worth it, as I keep doing it. If you have no preclusive encumberments—relationships, dependent family, mortgage, career, etc.—I recommend it as it really broadens and enriches your perspective on the world. I personally envy anyone with an E.U. passport as it makes it so much easier to move within Europe and to get visas. If you have the opportunity, I say go for it.

Edited by JamieZ
  • Like 1

Got bored of my cushy government job in Ireland and moved to Canada in 2009, just about beating the worst of the crash. Met my future wife, haven't done a day's hard work (beyond writing and designing, which doesn't count) and absolutely love it. Just been approved for permanent residency, and then in 2 years I'll be taking Canadian citizenship. Certainly not planning on returning home any time soon.

Previous to that I lived in Wolverhampton for a year for uni in 2002/03, not sure that counts though

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got bored of my cushy government job in Ireland and moved to Canada in 2009, just about beating the worst of the crash. Met my future wife, haven't done a day's hard work (beyond writing and designing, which doesn't count) and absolutely love it. Just been approved for permanent residency, and then in 2 years I'll be taking Canadian citizenship. Certainly not planning on returning home any time soon.

Previous to that I lived in Wolverhampton for a year for uni in 2002/03, not sure that counts though

Where about do you live Pete?

I'm just out east of Toronto in a place called Oshawa, but we're likely moving to Pickering/Ajax/Rouge Hill in the new year now that the wife is finally graduated and working

Edited by P3te

• 3 weeks later...

Taught English for 19 months in South Korea.  It's **** great, I'd go back if circumstances allowed.

Awesome. I actually spent a month in South Korea on a summer school thing and absolutely loved it. Not sure I'd make a good teacher but I must admit it's something I often consider.

I've spent some time in Wolverhampton. Its shit and the language is undecipherable.

Living or working? I'm here now (well, I'm in the leafy bit which I like to call South Staffs)

Spent a year in Canada teaching, always wanted to go back but it's been eleven years since I came back now and the moment has probably passed, if you've got the itch I would certainly take advantage of it sooner rather than later before life circumstances change and the decision loses possible practicalities. 

Spent a year in Canada teaching, always wanted to go back but it's been eleven years since I came back now and the moment has probably passed, if you've got the itch I would certainly take advantage of it sooner rather than later before life circumstances change and the decision loses possible practicalities.

Brother the moment has never passed
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me England is abroad, kind of, I am originally from France but travel a lot, I would definitely recommend moving abroad even if it is just for a short while, so many new experiences you can't get from staying in one place!

Ed

I lived in Nuremberg from 2001 till 2007, then Amsterdam for 4 months until early 2008.  I moved back to England until last July when I moved to Vancouver.  I love home, but love being abroad too.  It's a hard choice, but you can always move back.  You won't always get the chance to go.

• Like 1

Â