Players that you think are rubbish

Zatman

I'm 99% sure Pepe will turn out to be terrible business. Even if after time he's getting 10 goals and 10 assists in a season that's not a good enough return on a £70m+ player. But Ligue 1 is definitely a hot bed of talent and it seems like players from that league are generally better adapted to English football and have a tendency to hit the ground running quicker (some obvious examples to the contrary aside). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm 99% sure Pepe will turn out to be terrible business. Even if after time he's getting 10 goals and 10 assists in a season that's not a good enough return on a £70m+ player. But Ligue 1 is definitely a hot bed of talent and it seems like players from that league are generally better adapted to English football and have a tendency to hit the ground running quicker (some obvious examples to the contrary aside). 

Yeah, I think they overpaid for him, but he has 4.5 years left on his contract at which point he'll still only just have turned 29 so he'll not be a write off (pending injuries)

If it doesn't work out at Arsenal he'll probably end up at Sevilla and have an amazing season only to be sold on to PSG for £300m :D 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Makes some of the Villa transfer business look almost genius like.

7 hours ago, sne said:

It's not THAT bad and the number of quality players that has come out of Ligue 1 rivals pretty much any league in the world.

The Clairefontaine academy for example has been outstanding over the years.

I get why people want to build up the PL (and for unknown reasons the Championship) as stupendous and every other league as utter shite.

But I don't subscribe to that view.

There’s a space that exists between utter shite and the premier league, Ligue 1 occupies this space, it’s not as competitive as the Premier League, I think that’s a fairly widely accepted fact.

4 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

1000%. Always thought he was shite, how he's been in a first team regular for so long is baffling 

When Southampton is shit he is the go to defender. Its weird. Like if Villa started Richards every few weeks

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yoshida.

Quite. 

You do have to question the operation that has quite so casual an approach to replacing an individual so at odds with what it takes to play at this level.  A team not looking to replace a Yoshida either has very misplaced priorities or, quite frankly, self-esteem issues. Ah, Maya Yoshida is playing, I see!  Japanese international, some experience in the Dutch league.  Probably quite organised, technically sound, tactically aware?  No?  So, tenacious, a terrier, an indefatigable never-say-die attitude?  A withering wallflower, is he?  Crisp, clean passes?  Fast?  Threat at set pieces?  Leader?  Outlandish haircut?  The Japanese Tommy Elphick, you say?  Ah well...

Much as it distresses me to pour scorn upon my fellow countrymen, with the jolly exception of the mad goblin Okazaki, quite a few Japanese players have been more than a bit crap in the Premier League.  Shame.

9 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

Quite. 

You do have to question the operation that has quite so casual an approach to replacing an individual so at odds with what it takes to play at this level.  A team not looking to replace a Yoshida either has very misplaced priorities or, quite frankly, self-esteem issues. Ah, Maya Yoshida is playing, I see!  Japanese international, some experience in the Dutch league.  Probably quite organised, technically sound, tactically aware?  No?  So, tenacious, a terrier, an indefatigable never-say-die attitude?  A withering wallflower, is he?  Crisp, clean passes?  Fast?  Threat at set pieces?  Leader?  Outlandish haircut?  The Japanese Tommy Elphick, you say?  Ah well...

Much as it distresses me to pour scorn upon my fellow countrymen, with the jolly exception of the mad goblin Okazaki, quite a few Japanese players have been more than a bit crap in the Premier League.  Shame.

I think I mentioned him on the last page but Shinji Kagawa is at Real Zaragoza now, still only 30. Was fantastic in his first spell at Dortmund but could never find a starting place at Man. United then couldn't get going again back at Dortmund.

Similar to Mikhitayran.

Â