Players that you think are rubbish

Zatman

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit I was engulfed by the hype. I would've loved us to take him on loan when he was linked under Lambert but he's done very little now at either Dortmund or Sunderland so his career will fizzle out as would imagine Man. United will let him go this summer.

It's just modern football culture. A few good games and a player is "world class". It's why so many players seem to flop, because they're built up to such a ridiculous standard by fans, that the only way is down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's just modern football culture. A few good games and a player is "world class". It's why so many players seem to flop, because they're built up to such a ridiculous standard by fans, that the only way is down. 

I agree with this and add in the expectancy of fans nowadays is by far more than ever. 

The rise of social media has been a conduit for this, along with the ever increasing financial gulf between footballers and everyday man. 

You just have to listen to talk sport, to hear a player being bigged up one week and labelled world class only to be destroyed the following week. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I agree with this and add in the expectancy of fans nowadays is by far more than ever. 

The rise of social media has been a conduit for this, along with the ever increasing financial gulf between footballers and everyday man. 

You just have to listen to talk sport, to hear a player being bigged up one week and labelled world class only to be destroyed the following week. 

It's why I tend to avoid football talk with most people. It's all a point scoring thing these days. I try to not get overexcited by a player and wait until he's done something for a decent while. So when I rate someone, I get responses of "I said he was going to be great 18 months ago!". You mean after his debut? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

SWP syndrome too

English football seems to have thing about getting over excited about tricky paced wingers who very quickly get found out, januzaj is just one of several

Like Sterling, who will be at a mid table premier league team within 5 years.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:59, rodders0223 said:

Remember when everyone was clambering for Januzai to play for their nation?

Seems like a long time ago does that.

I seem to recall it was front page tabloid news!

I think the fact he played for Man Utd exacerbated the furore. 

On 28/04/2017 at 21:39, theboyangel said:

It's also the media who hype up players really early on. When Martial scored against Liverpool, they were all "the next Thierry Henry!". After one game. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 21:51, Zatman said:

Grant Leadbitter is an awful midfielder

Good Championship player when he helped Boro get promoted. That was his level though

23 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sorry but I just don't get Marcus Rashford, not very good at all.

I didn't like his dive yesterday (not as bad as mane for citeh) but I like the energy and directness he can bring to the game.

he's young and still raw but I can see him developing into a good player. 

However he is far from the finished article and nowhere near the hype surrounding him. 

• Like 1

Isn't he Florentino Perez's favourite player or something? Must admit I just look up his Madrid stats and really surprised he's been there 8 years now, signed same summer as Ronaldo.

I think it's the link up play that keeps him there. I know he's my favourite hobby horse atm but sell Benzema, replace him with Lukaku and he'd probably score more goals than Benzema but Ronaldo would start whinging at yet another pass that is overhit and goes out of play. Could say the same for Higuaín I guess, better finisher but just not as good as getting involved in the creation of attacks and keeping Ronaldo happy.

I do think he underwhelmed for France before his expulsion. World Cup 2014 is only tournament where he really did anything.

His goal-scoring record isn't bad to be fair. Better goal per game ratio for Real than Bale and is a lot more than his goals but I have never been enamoured by him. You wouldn't rate him up there with suarez

Â