Micah Richards

Demitri_C

I get the impression he thinks he's too good for us, well sorry to break it to you Micah but you ain't all that and are full of errors and dodgy decision making. I'd play him at right back if I felt we had any other decent options. Senderos is the type we need at the back, he constantly is talking and organising while richards just bombs around everywhere and then flings his arms all over the place when we concede as if it's nothing to do with him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

I get the impression he thinks he's too good for us, well sorry to break it to you Micah but you ain't all that and are full of errors and dodgy decision making. I'd play him at right back if I felt we had any other decent options. Senderos is the type we need at the back, he constantly is talking and organising while richards just bombs around everywhere and then flings his arms all over the place when we concede as if it's nothing to do with him.

Yeah, his antics are getting annoying.

Very much unsure of the arm throwing from him as well.

Can imagine he's very unhappy with the passionate british up and at them here have 75k a week Tim getting the boot.

Start performing skipper.

• Like 1

Give me a better suggestion as captain. Maybe that sums up our squad but I really don't see one as the other experienced players like Guzan, Gabby, Westwood and Hutton are our four longester serving senior players and most on her don't want them anywhere near our team.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Give me a better suggestion as captain. Maybe that sums up our squad but I really don't see one as the other experienced players like Guzan, Gabby, Westwood and Hutton are our four longester serving senior players and most on her don't want them anywhere near our team.

Most people this summer would've said Clark, I doubt a single person would call for him to be captain right now.

Maybe Sanchez, but that's just because of a lack of alternatives.

He's not experienced enough to play at CB and be captain. I would bring in one of our other CB and play him at RB , or even LB 

I do wonder what he would be like in midfield as a Sanchez mk2 type player , I think he has all the attributes to play there alongside Sanchez. I know it sounds desperate but that's where we are now I'm afraid.

far too often he runs towards the opposition player with the ball, leaving the man he is meant to be marking or the area he is meant to be defending completely open

it's far too easy for teams to play through our defence as our positioning is useless

Crespo looked far more a defender than Richards did in one appearence, and he's not meant to be that good!

We need Okore back in my opinion.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

No wonder we are in this bloody mess. shambles

Captain Micah Lays down the Law

Micah Richards: Too many Aston Villa players are not willing to run the extra yard

Interview: Captain Micah Richards talks frankly about Midlands club’s battle to avoid relegation and the need to toughen up across the pitch

share-fb.svg    
  share-tw.svg    

share-p.svg    
  share-in.svg    
  share-share.svg    
  share-email.svg
Email

Micah Richards is pictured at Aston Villa's Bodymoor Heath training ground
Micah Richards says his team-mates have to toughen up and defend better Photo: GETTY IMAGES

10:00PM GMT 26 Nov 2015

Comments2 Comments

Micah Richards is sitting in a dressing room at Aston Villa’s training ground and pulling no punches on the season so far. He always knew his first season back in the Premier League would be difficult, but this has been an eye-opening experience that even he cannot have envisaged when he bid farewell to Florence.

Tim Sherwood, the manager who signed him, was sacked in October after 10 games and Villa are bottom of the table under Rémi Garde, with fears growing that this could be the season they are relegated. Last weekend at Everton, Villa produced arguably their worst performance of the campaign in losing 4-0, with Richards admitting that an 8-0 defeat would have been a fair reflection.

And ahead of Saturday’s huge game against Watford, the time has come for a few home truths from the captain, in a brutally honest assessment of the club’s struggles.

Micah_richards_3_3511175b.jpgMicah Richards battles in the humilating Everton defeat

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it, we’ve got too many nice players and we’re too easy to play against,” he said. “Everybody seems to be – I wouldn’t say passing the blame – but they don’t want to run that extra mile and take responsibility. I’m not big on stats but I think we’ve run the least in the Premier League – if you’re not prepared to run the extra yard for your team-mate then obviously you’re going to concede chances.

“When we’ve got the ball we’re fine but defensively we’re too nice and it’s too easy to get past us. We haven’t got the players who have the mentality to not lose the game.

“There’s a few good players in the team and they’re probably thinking, ‘If Villa get relegated I’ll get a move in the summer’ – but it doesn’t work like that any more. They’ve got a massive chance at Villa, a club with great tradition and great facilities, and we need to realise the situation we’re in now.

villa_everton_3511364b.jpgVilla players lick their wounds after the Everton defeat

“People said we’d always struggle when [Fabian] Delph and [Christian] Benteke went, but that’s gone now. Get that out of your head. Go and show that you’re the next Benteke and we don’t need them. That’s the attitude I have.”

How Garde could do with more players like Richards, who has led by example for much of the season and grasped what is at stake. Richards could have signed for a number of other Premier League clubs this summer after his contract at Manchester City expired. He had talks with West Ham United and Sunderland, but Sherwood’s sales pitch swung him to Villa, despite five years of the club battling against relegation.

But soon after the defender’s arrival, Delph jumped ship to join Richards' former club City, barely a week after insisting he would stay, while talismanic striker Benteke moved to Liverpool for £32.5million. Villa signed 12 players over the summer, with many of the new recruits coming from Ligue 1 in France, yet there is already huge pressure on chairman Randy Lerner to spend in January to save their season. When Richards is asked if Premier League experience is lacking, his response is admirably honest again. “Yeah, I think it is. You need experience in the Premier League and the players that will go over and beyond for you.

Micah_richards_4_3511173b.jpgRichards' Fiorentina sojourn was one of the best experiences of his life

“I don’t want to blame anything on the new players. When I went to Italy [he spent a season on loan at Fiorentina] I wasn’t expecting to be the best player there. But we’ve had people come from France, Spain and the Championship and they need time.

“It’s not about if they’re not good enough, they need time to adapt and we haven’t got that now. The new manager has come in and hopefully he can get the best out of the French players, because there were certain things Tim was trying to get across that they didn’t understand because of the language barrier.”

Now 27, Richards has an abundance of experience at the top level of English football, ever since his star-is-born performance for City at Villa Park in a 2006 FA Cup tie. He flashes that trademark smile when you remind him of that game, when he scored a dramatic equaliser, ran into the crowd to celebrate and then dropped the F-bomb in a live post-match interview with Garth Crooks.

Micah_richards_2_3511176b.jpgRichards leads by example in training at Bodymoor Heath

He has since lifted a Premier League title and the FA Cup under Roberto Mancini at City, made 13 appearances for England and played at the London Olympics in 2012. Relegation battles are nothing new, however.

“People think because I was at City that I’ve only won leagues and cups, but I was there when we were struggling. They don’t understand that I’ve been through this before when I was younger, so I know what it takes to get out of it. It’s just whether the other players understand what we’re in, do you know what I mean?”

Richards talks fondly of that season at Fiorentina, even though he made only seven league starts. He embraced life in Italy, and could have stayed in Serie A, but the lure of returning to the Premier League was always there.

“It was weird at Fiorentina, because I wouldn’t sign a contract and commit, so they played somebody else. But I definitely think it was still a good move and living in Florence was probably one of the best times of my life,” he said. “The football isn’t anywhere near the Premier League, though. There’s a lot of good technical players but it’s a little bit slower and boring to watch. This is more suited to me.

Micah_richards_1_3511177b.jpgDespite their travails, Richards 'has enjoyed every single minute' at Villa

“Coming here was a massive relief for me and, to be honest, apart from the situation we’re in, I’ve enjoyed every single minute. I knew this wasn’t going to be easy but I still didn’t think it would be this tough.”

After two games in charge, Garde is acutely aware of the task ahead and Villa will face Watford five points adrift of 17th-placed Newcastle. There have also been further unpalatable headlines this week after footage emerged of Jack Grealish partying in a Manchester nightclub after last weekend’s defeat at Everton. Richards is determined to lead a response after that nightmare.

“We came up against an amazing team and they capitalised on all our weaknesses. It was lucky to be 4-0, it should have been 8-0, to be honest. It was like a training game for them. I think we had one shot all afternoon. Now we’ve got a massive game against Watford and if we win we can cut the gap on the teams above us. It’s not over for us, just look at Leicester last season.

“I like a challenge and if we get out of this we will have done very well. We have to stop the talking and just do it.”

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

wow richards interview today my god he lays into the players, and he openly admits the french players had trouble understanding what sherwood wa saying. Unbelievable what is going on at the club

It's no surprise really. We are such a small time outfit, it's really quite embarrassing 

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

It's no surprise really. We are such a small time outfit, it's really quite embarrassing 

it actually unbelievable what Richards has said above, circus. we are laughing stocks. If our captain thinks the players are wimps what chance do we have?

Â