Micah Richards

Demitri_C

The surging runs from defence into midfield then losing the ball which usually ended up in our net whilst micah shouted at his team mates for not marking someone is my only memory of him

Terrible deal for us and I don't blame him for seeing out the contract, blame the morons at the club for agreeing to such a bad contract when he was shot to bits a few years before we signed him. 

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 3

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I feel sorry for him. He’s earned millions from us for doing very little. 

But my views on him have softened recently as I think it’s pretty clear he’s had genuine, career ending, injury issues. 

Would be interesting to know if the story about him offering to leave earlier but it being better for the club for him to stay (for insurance reasons)

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Who's worse? Micah or McCormack?

I imagine most will say McCormack instantly.

But if we're to believe his supposed off-field troubles with alcoholism, you're left with a player who has agreed to leave the club for a lower fee than he would have got had he seen out his contract after trying to play elsewhere when it didn't work out here, compared to Micah who seemingly knew that his career was over 18 months ago, but has hung on to cash every pay-cheque, during a time when the club almost went bankrupt.

I'm not saying Micah is worse than McCormack, I just thought it's an interesting comparison to make, when some (not specifically in here, but on the internet) are labelling Micah as a model pro and an unfortunate guy.

Well I don’t know if it counts for much, but guessing from the club’s perspective they did include Micah in that little sentimental thank you and goodbye video with the likes of Adomah, Whelan, Jedi etc. While they issued a separate statement about Ross leaving.

I know all those players, like Micah were out of contract and McCormack’s contract was cancelled, so it’s a bit different and probably meaningless, but if the club were unhappy with Micah they could have quite easily issued a separate statement rather than include him among players who were relatively popular.

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Who's worse? Micah or McCormack?

I imagine most will say McCormack instantly.

But if we're to believe his supposed off-field troubles with alcoholism, you're left with a player who has agreed to leave the club for a lower fee than he would have got had he seen out his contract after trying to play elsewhere when it didn't work out here, compared to Micah who seemingly knew that his career was over 18 months ago, but has hung on to cash every pay-cheque, during a time when the club almost went bankrupt.

I'm not saying Micah is worse than McCormack, I just thought it's an interesting comparison to make, when some (not specifically in here, but on the internet) are labelling Micah as a model pro and an unfortunate guy.

Footballers are every bit entitled to see out their contracts as any other employee is. Both he and the club agreed to its contents, if the club was stupid enough to agree to it why should he have to bare the responsibility down the road? If it were the other way around and he felt he was low balled and wanted a pay raise you know for a fact the club would tell him tough luck, you signed it...and wait out his contract until he was released.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Footballers are every bit entitled to see out their contracts as any other employee is. Both he and the club agreed to its contents, if the club was stupid enough to agree to it why should he have to bare the responsibility down the road? If it were the other way around and he felt he was low balled and wanted a pay raise you know for a fact the club would tell him tough luck, you signed it...and wait out his contract until he was released.

Footballers are 100% entitled to see out contracts, but sometimes they don’t.

McCormack could have stayed for the length of his and earned more, Collins could have been paid for the short-term contract that he ripped up and countless footballers throughout history have agreed to mutually terminate (usually at a lower price than the full contract) to leave early. Maybe I’m being harsh by suggesting that in a season that we almost went bankrupt and were hours away from being liquidated, that Micah could have taken this type of deal?

I’ve always dismissed the ‘he had to stay so that the club could claim insurance’ line, because his knee issues were existing, so I thought the insurance wouldn’t cover this. Not to mention, what kind of logic is it that we’ll wait to go bust and liquidated, knowing that we have to wait for Micah to retire before we can claim :S

(I know Micah’s wages wouldn’t have covered the Tony Xia black hole of money, but it still would have helped somewhat, if microscopically)

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Footballers are 100% entitled to see out contracts, but sometimes they don’t.

McCormack could have stayed for the length of his and earned more, Collins could have been paid for the short-term contract that he ripped up and countless footballers throughout history have agreed to mutually terminate (usually at a lower price than the full contract) to leave early. Maybe I’m being harsh by suggesting that in a season that we almost went bankrupt and were hours away from being liquidated, that Micah could have taken this type of deal?

I’ve always dismissed the ‘he had to stay so that the club could claim insurance’ line, because his knee issues were existing, so I thought the insurance wouldn’t cover this. Not to mention, what kind of logic is it that we’ll wait to go bust and liquidated, knowing that we have to wait for Micah to retire before we can claim :S

(I know Micah’s wages wouldn’t have covered the Tony Xia black hole of money, but it still would have helped somewhat, if microscopically)

I mean those are nice gestures and I applaud those players for doing so but at the same time I won't begrudge someone for seeing out a contract. Those other players still had a career ahead of them mind you, while Micah knew his was pretty much over. Why forfeit whatever's left of your last contract? The onus is on the club and board.

From what I've heard he was a very popular figure around the club and with everyone and seen as genuinely nice lad. Turned up every day but obviously couldn't run for **** without having his knees replaced. Apparently the club had him helping out with coaching the kids and right up til his release was seen as a really nice guy around the place. Just that he was basically more **** in his knees than Miley Cyrus at a glory hole.

Jolean lescott thought, there's a c unit for you.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

From what I've heard he was a very popular figure around the club and with everyone and seen as genuinely nice lad. Turned up every day but obviously couldn't run for **** without having his knees replaced. Apparently the club had him helping out with coaching the kids and right up til his release was seen as a really nice guy around the place. Just that he was basically more **** in his knees than Miley Cyrus at a glory hole.

Jolean lescott thought, there's a c unit for you.

Aww, well, if true, that was a nice tale of us spending hundreds of thousands in a charitable gesture on a millionaire footballer that couldn’t do his job in a season that we almost went bust. :D

• Like 1

As I said above there was also a story that richards wanted to leave early but it was better for the club insurance wise if he stayed. 

I’m sure I didn’t dream that 😂

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What, activity in this thread? Did he finally retire?

Yep in the press yesterday.

And idiotic signing. Looked doomed from the start. The only clubs interested were us and Sunderland - the downward trajectory of both clubs speaks volumes.

Honestly if you knew you'd have to retire at the end of your current job, and probably never be paid that well again for the rest of your life, would you do anything different? Feel very sorry for him, don't think he did anything wrong. Just a very bad signing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Honestly if you knew you'd have to retire at the end of your current job, and probably never be paid that well again for the rest of your life, would you do anything different? 

Yeah it's amazing the amount of people saying he should have just quit.

Not a single one of us would give that up, especially, as you say, if you were retiring after it.

The people to blame here are Sherwood and friends who brought him in on huge wages when, by his own admission, he had an existing knee problem anyway.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Honestly if you knew you'd have to retire at the end of your current job, and probably never be paid that well again for the rest of your life, would you do anything different? Feel very sorry for him, don't think he did anything wrong. Just a very bad signing.

My sentiments exactly. 

Some of the comments I’m reading on some facebook groups are ridiculous. 

A lot of the comments coming out from villa players tells me he will be missed around the place. Good luck to him. 

• Like 1

Â