Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Unless he's the strength and conditioning coach I'm not really sure what value he adds. His football brain was probably the worst thing about him. 

To be honest even as a strength and conditioning coach he wouldn't be a good fit because he was far too big and top heavy to ever be effective in a game like football. 

Maybe a motivational coach? Someone to shout come on you lot work harder. Court jester maybe? 

Edited by villaglint

There are lots of Villa interviews with players on the AVFC YouTube channel where they ask each player ‘who is the funniest in the dressing room’. Richards name is always mentioned.

So he is basically a very expensive court jester. But saying that having fun at work always improves the overall atmosphere. (I know I am clutching at any positive i can find in this case)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Unless he's the strength and conditioning coach I'm not really sure what value he adds. His football brain was probably the worst thing about him. 

To be honest even as a strength and conditioning coach he wouldn't be a good fit because he was far too big and top heavy to ever be effective in a game like football. 

Maybe a motivational coach? Someone to shout come on you lot work harder. Court jester maybe? 

It's all guesswork though isn't it?

For all we know he might be a **** brilliant coach.

• Like 1

He seems like a very likeable bloke all other things considered. Even if he and Kodija aren't playing due to injuries (at least the latter one), I can see them being positive influences on the team with both being jokers in their own ways. If he can't contribute on the pitch...we're stuck with him either way. I'm sure both parties want to get the most out of it.

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If that's the case mutually terminate his current contract and take him on as a coach and help him earn his badges. Benefits both (Just he'll be earning a whole lot less)

Not really mutual benefit if he earns significantly less. He'd probably be losing 20k a week if he did that. Plus he can get his coaching badges right now if he wants. Nothing is stopping him. 

You don’t have to have been a good player to be a good coach.

I’ve never found myself hating Micah in the same way I did with the likes of Lescott and N’zogbia. Don’t get me wrong, I’d obviously rather we had bought a player who was a viable option for us. 

I accept that there will be the opinion that he should be happy as he gets paid a lot with next to no responsibility. But if he’s doing some good behind the scenes, if he’s able to act as a positive influence to the youngsters or even the senior squad, all the while knowing that he’s never likely going to feature, then fair enough. 

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

Not on that sort of money since we were relegated as there was a relegation clause on his contract 

Good shout, didn't think of that.

We've probably got a fair few on £40k upwards, so wouldn't surprise me if he's on a bit more though.

19 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

People won't want to hear this but I have read and heard a few reports that he is absolutely brilliant with the young players, helping them come through and settle with the first team squad. That he's essentially a £25k a week coach at this stage. And that his injuries have basically finished him, just not quite enough for a compo pay out. 

Dumpster fire of a situation I know, but at least we're putting him to some use?

Have heard similar, same for Gabby too.

• Like 1

It's lovely that Agbonlahor and Richards are jolly good company for the others, but I personally would prefer they were out of the club and the money used for players who are not over the hill and can therefor contribute something meaningful.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

It's lovely that Agbonlahor and Richards are jolly good company for the others, but I personally would prefer they were out of the club and the money used for players who are not over the hill and can therefor contribute something meaningful.

I think almost everybody would mate.

We gave them those contacts. We are legally obliged to honour them, just as we would expect if the shoe were on the other foot. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We gave them those contacts. We are legally obliged to honour them, just as we would expect if the shoe were on the other foot. 

I would be to differ that Gabby honoured his side of the bargain when he allowed himself to become too unfit to play the game we paid him so handsomely to play. 

Any other profession and he would have had his contract cancelled, but football is different innit. 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would be to differ that Gabby honoured his side of the bargain when he allowed himself to become too unfit to play the game we paid him so handsomely to play. 

Any other profession and he would have had his contract cancelled, but football is different innit. 

There was absolutely a case for that, yes. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I guess you are not the only one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Dave.....If the shoe/boot was on the other foot.....He would be Garrincha:)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

People won't want to hear this but I have read and heard a few reports that he is absolutely brilliant with the young players, helping them come through and settle with the first team squad. That he's essentially a £25k a week coach at this stage. And that his injuries have basically finished him, just not quite enough for a compo pay out. 

Dumpster fire of a situation I know, but at least we're putting him to some use?

I thought he was on 50K a week? Thats what google says anyway. Am I wrong did he take a pay cut?

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Funny isn't it really. Players can engineer moves (or try to - See Mahrez) and sulk about not being allowed to leave, but when it's the other way around they're happy to get paid for doing naff all at a club where they are no longer wanted.

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

There thing with this is, he fulfilled his contractual obligation so we had no grounds to cancel his contract, if he fulfilled his contractual obligation he must have been reporting to training every day like everyone else and doing what he was told, so how did he manage to get so unfit he could no longer contribute? Surely as soon as he started getting unfit he should have been put on a higher fitness schedule? What exactly were our coaches doing during that period?!

You say he allowed himself, which is true, but more pertinently we allowed him to get unfit, which is, at best, horrendous management of a valuable asset

Richards is a little different as it seems his injuries have just finished him at this level and there's not too much anyone can do about that really except wait for his contract to run down when he'll either retire or drop down a few more divisions. If he's good with the youngsters, while obviously not what we pay him for, at least it's something, at least we are getting some value from paying him all this money

• Like 1

Â