Micah Richards

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

I'd add Okore to that. I know there is some talent in him, but refusing to sit on the bench is too much for me. 

Didn't he make some comment on twitter to quash these accusations ?

Just now, dounavilla said:

Didn't he make some comment on twitter to quash these accusations ?

If he has I missed it (which is entirely possible), and I'm not sure I'd believe him as Black certainly said he'd refused. Neither our players nor Black have that much credibility to make either easily believed. 

He did refute it in Danish media (and on twitter). Remember, this is a player that didn't want a Chelsea move because he wanted sufficient time on the pitch. IMO, that's Okore's main concern: to be in consideration for the Danish National team. He has stated that he didn't think playing in the Championship would affect his chances to get into the Danish squad that much, but not playing regularly would, and that a new manager might be make-or-break for him at Villa. 

I cannot remember any report of Okore having any problems with being on the bench throughout his time at Villa - before Black, that is. AFAIK Okore hasn't been fined by the club for the alleged incident, either. Someone is telling porkies here. I wonder who?

• Like 4

I was told that he was one of a very few players that gave a shit and acted in a professional manner. His knees are shot hence why he hardly played towards the end of the season.

On 30/05/2016 at 22:02, Robbie09 said:

I was told that he was one of a very few players that gave a shit and acted in a professional manner. His knees are shot hence why he hardly played towards the end of the season.

They shouldn't be as he is only 27. And if that is true he should have failed the medical and stayed at City.

• Like 1

On 30.5.2016 at 23:02, Robbie09 said:

Well, whoever told you must have a very unique insight.

• 3 weeks later...

Richards has a very low football IQ, but much as we see with political debates and such, he is clearly one of those people who is not aware of this. Such a pity that he is so athletically gifted, but he should have been drummed out of top level football a long time ago.

The more important point here is the number of managers who simply see a beastly guy and think yup, he'll do. Works wonders all the way from u10s to the senior team. A truly integrated footballing structure.

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't really think his attitude was a problem. He always seemed like he was trying hard to me, he was just absolutely woeful as a centre back. 

I think the attitude problem stems from his tweet after the March trip to Dubai, where he called a fan a clown for having a go at them for taking a break "after" a long hard season. Sorry Micah the season ends in May. Other than that episode I though his attitude seemed ok to me, and that he did actually care more than most.

My main issue with him is his inability to play as part of a defensive unit, too often he is way out of position which puts further stresses onto the other parts of the defence. I lost count of how many times he would be miles from the rest of the defence. He was the captain and meant to be organising the defence, if he can't position himself correctly what chance do we have in being a solid back four. He could probably get away with it when he played at Man City as his pace and power or better players organising things saved him. That is probably why he spent most of his younger days at RB, as he couldn't be trusted to play CB. He has never learned the role, and I don't see him improving in all honesty.

• Like 1

i actually think there is a player in there somewhere (admittedly not as a centre back).

I'd be of the opinion that his biggest issue when playing at full back was a lack of strong leadership, managerial and coaching direction, and above all poor tactics.

I wouldn't be upset about him having another shot in the Championship (assuming he has taken a significant wage cut)

I think Micah Richards has all of the physical attributes to make a really good centre back.

What he lacks is knowledge of how to play the position and, more importantly, he lacks a degree of self-control.

By that I mean he still has the mindset of a marauding right wing-back.

That could be utilised more effectively by converting him, for the short term, into a box-to-box midfielder. Then into a holding midfielder before finally converting him to centre back.

• Like 3

I think we need to be careful not to forget last season's debacle to quickly, there's a danger that if we give too many of the underperformers a second chance we'll end up with the same losing mentality again. 

Richards should make a good RB on paper, certainly one good enough for the Championship. But because of his poor positioning, seemingly apparent lack of desire and fight in a Villa shirt and high wages, I think we're better off getting rid. Assuming we can find someone to take him off our hands. If we can't, and he wants to knuckle down, take a reduced salary and actually play for the badge, then I'll give him a chance. I don't want to, but I will. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I don't really think his attitude was a problem. He always seemed like he was trying hard to me, he was just absolutely woeful as a centre back. 

What I despised about watching him play was seeing him rampage forward, refuse to find a sensible pass, have the ball stolen off him, stroll back to position, then throw his hands in the air and look around accusingly at his teammates when the oppositon scored. I swear I saw this exact scenario play out several times, and I didn't even watch very many of our games last season. It's not just the frustration of seeing it once, it's knowing he takes zero responsibility for his own performance, and the fact that he is entirely unable to learn from previous mistakes.

A horrible, horrible captain. And just a bad player. Get rid of him.

• Like 4

I agree with villaakram, all the physical attributes to be a very good footballer, but not the intelligence to use them.

No positional sense, no awareness, no understanding of the game, relys on his power and his pace too much, too old to change.Might, i emphasise might, make a reasonable defensive midfielder, but i wouldn't trust him to play in a position of any responsibility.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The guy has the concentration level of a donkey. Hopeless 

I agree, I would certainly get rid of him, but I just can't see it this coming year.

So with that in mind, I definitely wouldn't have him at CB, I would put him back at RB where he played at ManCity and I think he can do a job in the championship there.

Â