Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

Given that I started this topic, I thought it only fair I updated it.

Turntable finally obtained. Given it was a birthday gift, I couldn't risk being too specific (or greedy) about make/model so I ended up with a ProJect II. Currently hooked-up to my 25 year old Technics system which sounds pony but it's a start. Second-hand Marantz amp on the way.

Obligatory chrisp shot of it in action. As you will see, I christened it in style:

4458B3E3-27A7-4345-AF75-E0D3307A5D59_zps

• Like 1

Chrisp65 endorses this form of literal photography. 

tumblr_mrcu64VF3e1szf0s6o1_500.gif

Been all day trying to persuade a seller to sell me a tonearm he says is 'crap'.

Bizarre turn of events, don't put it up for sale if it's too crap to sell....

• 1 month later...

fascinating, I'll have a look around his other stuff later

70's steel and toggle switches are definitely the future, I had a play with a 70's Sansui Japanese amp a week or so ago, shiny silver, toggles, lots of needles and lights doing their thing, looked brand new and it sounded fantastic - £65. But I had to let it pass, I need an arm and speakers more.

On 9/3/2016 at 11:21, chrisp65 said:

fascinating, I'll have a look around his other stuff later

70's steel and toggle switches are definitely the future, I had a play with a 70's Sansui Japanese amp a week or so ago, shiny silver, toggles, lots of needles and lights doing their thing, looked brand new and it sounded fantastic - £65. But I had to let it pass, I need an arm and speakers more.

Good stuff Sansui.

I never really had much of a fetish for tone arms, I had an unrequited mania for the biggest JBL speakers available, driven by a megawatt Japanese amp/receiver. :)

Yeah, the cost of tonearms gets out of control very quickly. But there are a couple of relatively cheap ones out there that will give me a bit of variation, at the moment I've basically got the same tonearm on every turntable. Nothing outrageous, a Linn Basik would do for me, the geometry of entry level Linn stuff would mean it drops straight in the existing hole. Just watching the prices going up and down for a while to work out what's good value.

Of all things there's a pair of Goodmans speakers out there at the moment for £65. They're early 70's so from when they were still well made. The teak veneer is probably worth the money and the speakers just a bonus feature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Of all things there's a pair of Goodmans speakers out there at the moment for £65. They're early 70's so from when they were still well made. The teak veneer is probably worth the money and the speakers just a bonus feature.

Those speakers look great.

As you say, even if the roll-surrounds have perished or the cross-over is knackered the cabs will be well worth having. :thumb:

Had a Sansui cassette deck for a bit. Late 80s/ early 90s, Monster thing. No cover over the transport by design. It sounded great.

The motor got wobbly, I might have got it repaired, but wanted a deck with Dolby S at the time.

Bought one of these a few weeks back. Lenco Boost 8.

RjM711Y.jpg

I'm sat in the back garden with a laptop streaming to it in the kitchen via Bluetooth.

It works via NFC, will take SD cards, USB devices, plays CDs and radio.

Extra Phono and Aux inputs at the back with a second power dedicated USB port. 30 Watt RMS - £80.

It's doing alright with Count Basie at the minute, and it fared surprisingly well with a behind closed doors Breakcore session earlier. 

Great little kitchen/bedroom system, so far.

On 13/09/2016 at 21:36, Xann said:

Had a Sansui cassette deck for a bit. Late 80s/ early 90s, Monster thing. No cover over the transport by design. It sounded great.

The motor got wobbly, I might have got it repaired, but wanted a deck with Dolby S at the time.

Bought one of these a few weeks back. Lenco Boost 8.

RjM711Y.jpg

I'm sat in the back garden with a laptop streaming to it in the kitchen via Bluetooth.

It works via NFC, will take SD cards, USB devices, plays CDs and radio.

Extra Phono and Aux inputs at the back with a second power dedicated USB port. 30 Watt RMS - £80.

It's doing alright with Count Basie at the minute, and it fared surprisingly well with a behind closed doors Breakcore session earlier. 

Great little kitchen/bedroom system, so far.

Very nice but is it big enough?

I still have a Hitachi TRK-3D8E which was very loud and annoying on the beaches of Spain back in the day.:)

hitachi_trk_3d8_3d_super_woofer.jpg

As to be expected the second cassette player doesn't work but the radio is still great.

To get an idea of the size: it is the third model in on this video:

Edited by limpid
fixed embed

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Very nice but is it big enough?

Not really, but her ladyship would have freaked out if it had been larger? (oo - er)

We have a similar device from the previous generation that she's tried to chuck out, but it has the only working cassette player in the house.

Her motion was vetoed.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

Working on the assumption you want to listen, rather than DJ, which usually means a direct drive deck.

Rega, Pro-Ject, Dual and Lenco are trusted.

The Chinese are making decks now, there may be a gem out there somewhere for a ton? I'd want to see reviews though.

Those Ion decks make me shudder.

If you're the type that likes tinkering with stuff? Your options open up somewhat.

• Like 1

Pretty much as Xann has said.

Avoid the Crosley or GPO or Ion names that Maplin and HMV will try and sell you - unless you are on a really limited budget or if you're just messing about with old records or exploring cheap second hand shop randoms, then they are fine. If you but a £70 Crosley and two £20 albums in HMV, you've probably wasted £100. Having said that, I've got an Ion that I'll use once every 6 months to get something on to a CD, so what do I know! Rigged up to speakers it'll sound ok, but it's knackering your records bit by bit every time you play them.

Try and find out about amps and pre-amps and phono stages and all that stuff that shops like Richer Sounds will try and bamboozle you with. See buying guide below.

Watch prices on e-bay and gumtree for a while if you are looking at second hand. I only ever buy second hand and so far I've been happy every time. I'll buy a duffer at some point though, guaranteed.

Most people's ears, in most people's non-acoustically designed living rooms don't need expensive kit.

Vinyl Factory Buying Guide

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xann said:

Working on the assumption you want to listen, rather than DJ, which usually means a direct drive deck.

Rega, Pro-Ject, Dual and Lenco are trusted.

The Chinese are making decks now, there may be a gem out there somewhere for a ton? I'd want to see reviews though.

Those Ion decks make me shudder.

If you're the type that likes tinkering with stuff? Your options open up somewhat.

Thanks very much for this. I have bought a second hand Sony turntable for very cheap today so I'm hoping that can act as a decent introduction.

I'll see how I get on and will definitely consider the brands you suggested as a future upgrade.  

Funnily enough I almost bought one of those Crosley type brands a couple of months ago, but was lucky enough to read some comments about the damage they can cause!

Can reasonable amps etc be had for good prices second hand?

Thanks again, 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Pretty much as Xann has said.

Avoid the Crosley or GPO or Ion names that Maplin and HMV will try and sell you - unless you are on a really limited budget or if you're just messing about with old records or exploring cheap second hand shop randoms, then they are fine. If you but a £70 Crosley and two £20 albums in HMV, you've probably wasted £100. Having said that, I've got an Ion that I'll use once every 6 months to get something on to a CD, so what do I know! Rigged up to speakers it'll sound ok, but it's knackering your records bit by bit every time you play them.

Try and find out about amps and pre-amps and phono stages and all that stuff that shops like Richer Sounds will try and bamboozle you with. See buying guide below.

Watch prices on e-bay and gumtree for a while if you are looking at second hand. I only ever buy second hand and so far I've been happy every time. I'll buy a duffer at some point though, guaranteed.

Most people's ears, in most people's non-acoustically designed living rooms don't need expensive kit.

Vinyl Factory Buying Guide

Thanks Chris.

I was initially planning to try and buy it all second-hand, sure I'll struggle along the way, but the learning curve will be part of the fun.

I won't be buying a Crosley (although seeing them in the first place got me interested in vinyl), but I think it's wise if I start with a very low budget. I can then upgrade as I go on / as I learn more about the equipment etc.

Glad I've now got a cheap turntable on the way, now to find an amp and speakers!

There's loads of decent amps second hand.

Nad, Arcam, Rotel and Cambridge Audio, the Richer Sounds sort of brands are well affordable.

Marantz, Pioneer, Technics and Sony, the John Lewis sort of brands also made ok stuff.

You might get something nice like a Cyrus or Roksan if you were patient?

If your Sony record deck has a third connector? It'll want to go to ground. It'll be handy if your amp has the post to attach it to.

Amps you can go back a few decades. Speakers have come on a bit, so I'd probably opt for something from the last dozen or so years.

If you opt for any old stuff, unusual brands, mini/micro components or anything custom make sure the impedance of speakers and amp match.

Quiet speakers are boring and blown speakers are crap ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this...

Finally managed to buy a Technics amplifier and got some cheap new speakers. Now all set up, and considering my turntable was only around £20 off eBay, I'm amazed how good it sounds. Not the most advanced set up but it sounds great to me and can always upgrade in the future. 

Now all I need to do is buy more records. Let the collecting begin!

Thanks guys for the help. 

Cheers

• Like 3

yeah it's easy to be suckered in to spending more money on stuff, on one of the hi fi messageboards there are regular updates on who has found the most expensive speaker cable with the most techie sounding super spec

anyway, for those that want new stuff, two new pro ject decks, selling just above and below £200

personally, a twenty quid second hand punt sounds much more fun

Quick question - on my cheap 90's Sony turntable I changed the stylus, but haven't done any sort of cartridge replacement... 

Am I risking any damage to records by not changing the cartridge? Apart from the odd crackle, I've heard nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with it. 

Thanks guys 

the tip of the stylus is the only piece that's in contact with the vinyl so that's the only piece that can damage it

if the cartridge is a duffer, it'll just sound crap

---

how precious are you going to get about tonearm set up and all that?

lots of articles on the interweb about how to set up and balance and measure force and set up your anti skate and all that, most of it is waffle, some of it is just plain wrong, so if you get in to all that, if you start buying force gauges and little weighing scales, read across quite a few articles

---

a quick caveat on any advice I give you - I haven't got a clue! happy amateur playing trial and error!

Â