Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

• 4 weeks later...

20954478720_7663b5aae4_k.jpg

a matched pair of Monitor MA7's from the late 1970's

Had a listen to them earlier today and they were just mesmerising, so rich. They've got one strangely slightly mis shaped cone but absolutely no influence on the sound, just perfect - but then again, they were being fed music via a £4,000 amp at the time! I'm sure my ancient Trio amp will be just as good. Anyway, not 100% perfect so massively discounted.

Now they're mine mine mine, which completes the set of approximately dated 1968/69 turntable, 1977 amp, 1977 speakers, total cost about £160 all in including cables - and I've got a complete working spare turntable. About the price of an ipod. The game was to build a 70's system as cheap as possible. 

The only piece of new kit I bought was a pre amp from Richer sounds - which didn't work and had to be returned. Which was a godsend really, because it wasn't needed in the end and would have been a waste of money anyway!

I must get my carpet cut.

After sitting on, and destroying, two pairs of headphones in 6 months (Aaaarggggh, clearing in the woods!). I just remembered I had a pair of Marley cans that had been part of a Christmas bonus thing at work a couple of years back.

They're bloody terrible.

For a similar listening experience, place an inverted nappy on your head so your ears are covered, then put your regular headphones on over the top.

• Like 1

After sitting on, and destroying, two pairs of headphones in 6 months (Aaaarggggh, clearing in the woods!). I just remembered I had a pair of Marley cans that had been part of a Christmas bonus thing at work a couple of years back.

They're bloody terrible.

For a similar listening experience, place an inverted nappy on your head so your ears are covered, then put your regular headphones on over the top.

What sort of headphones would you be using there Xann?

I kinda imagined they were the sort of thing you'd 'acquire' by just walking out of work with them still on your head! A bit like I do with neon yellow ppe coats.

I like the fact that you can try out all those Marley branded speakers and stuff in HMV. You're trying them out in the middle of a big shop full of noise and two different music or film types competing for volume. But yeah, you can try them out.

My last piece of kit now will be headphones, I have a set but I have to keep liberating them from teenagers bedrooms, and that's never a good plan going in there. Last couple of things I've bought from Richer sounds locally haven't worked, so I think I'll have to make sure I don't reward them with a third shopping trip.

I don't buy expensive headphones or sunglasses, inevitably they get crushed. Would shell out for something like HD600s otherwise.

My favourite bargain headphones of the last couple of years was a pair of Cresyn 720Hs.

The frequency response was nothing like as flat as the Sennheisers above, but they were comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Cresyn stuff usually verges on disposable, but they were quite chunky things. Got quite fond of them.

Couldn't get another pair, so tried another 'top end' (£40 ;)) Cresyn, the 750H. Lab tests were better, but they're just not as comfortable and are quite meh really.

Not sure about what next... Will investigate.

My work headphones are decent as it goes, HD25-1 mkIIs. Our sound engineer owns a pair himself. They're pretty solid, but not very cosy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sonic Boom!

.....before all of these came Classic Album Sundays, the session run by Colleen “Cosmo” Murphy where fans gather to listen to a record in its entirety, played from original vinyl over speakers and amps that cost more than most of their homes. Public hi-fi sound has, without question, become A Thing.

I'm going to a thing in March where a couple of German guys are bringing over some quite good speakers and setting them up for people to have a listen to their own records. It's £15 to get in on the Sunday.....I'm going on the free Saturday, when the merchandise stalls and stuff are still setting up!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

firstly, we need @blandy to tell us what turntable he bought...

secondly, I'm going to try and get this thing installed and up and running on the weekend, the radio is cute in a 1976 kind of way (the receipt says this one was bought in 1978), but apparently the phono stage allows you to play a turntable through it and is supposed to be stunningly good.....well we shall see what 1976 stunningly good does with some scratchy old Jam singles....

26999635364_5fe6850c4b_z.jpg

Eventually (one day / some day), my plan with this is to rather deviously take the top off it, take the boxing off a DAB radio and ram the DAB radio into this some how. Maybe.

I'm going to check the exact wording of the house insurance first.

Just now, limpid said:

Or get a shed :)

it's in the shed / garage / workshop at the moment

it's in that tricky transitional period between arriving home and declaring: 'what this?, nah I've had it years'.

Very tidy, too.

------

I had a play with a prototype of a new turntable a couple of days ago. A new table as in they are still thinking of a name for the company and the product. It's probably going to be called a T 12 because 'T' can stand for turntable and 12 can mean 12 inch. But apparently, T12 is actually a joke from League of Gentlemen, but it's lost on me. Every component made and put together in Hampshire apparently, so I'm not expecting it to be £99.

It sounded bloody lovely, but then it had a lot of expensive kit wired up to it and was in a clever acoustic room.

Edited by chrisp65
oh yeah, I just remembered...
  • Like 1

I inherited one of these:

95b7b4_8913778129ce461db0aa678b8664ab73.

A mid-century modern Zenith stereo AM/FM/turntable stereo console (pic is of a similar system with an 8-track tape player and which had had an iPod conversion; the seller wants $750 for it) .  One of my to-do projects is to update the inputs to this (satellite radio, PC, television, etc.) and move it into my home office/den.

• Like 3

Â