Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

No, I did consider bidding, I'd presumed the price would jump in the last minutes but it didn't.

Went for the £155 which looked like a bargain.

I just presume everything on e-bay is nicked so I was just watching.

Sometimes I have to put 5p on the stylus, to stop the record from repeating.

Which is something I wouldn't be able to do with one of these

27c28f51bfc290c85cd5312c32e1c64c_origina

$239,178 pledged so far on kickstarter.

How well can you hear audio quality.

'Many listeners cannot hear the difference between uncompressed audio files and MP3s'

Challenge accepted! 4/6 with computer and a good set of grado labs headphones. But F me that Coldplay track was horribly mastered and compressed to hell. With a track like that no "uncompression" will save it. Which links into the argument if it is worth it to pay for lossless media. It always comes down to the original master and how the engineer treats the recording (and the equipment you listen through of course). Some artists excel at it. (Madonna, Sting, Nils Lofgren, Sara K, Chris Jones) and other plainly suck donkey balls. (Mostly rock-artists unfortunately but a distorted electric guitar is hard to get right)

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

I can recommend (if you like acoustic guitar music) a label called "Stockfisch records" They specialize in doing top of the line recordings and they sound effing fantastic. I recommend "closer to the music Vol.1" to get a sample of what they can do.

http://www.stockfisch-records.de/pages_art/sf12_cttm1_e.html

MP3 sample

and another

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

I might......might......have the beginnings of a new turntable tomorrow. I'm off to have a look at one as part of a house clearance!

Nothing specially audiophile, just quirky. It looks from the one photo I've seen like it might be a fairly early Lenco idler wheel turntable from about 1970 or so. When they were still made in Switzerland. Not getting my hopes up too much just yet but this might be the pointlessly fussy toy I've been looking for. No belt drive, but a cone shaped spindle so it has totally variable speed from about 80rpm down to about 14rpm. Get some of that original dub going at 14rpm!

We'll see....

ok, a few texts later.....and it's mine

needs a bit of work, but hey, it's a project

it spins and it changes speed - note the speed selecter, it has notches in standard places but is a slider, so you can play at any speed that takes your fancy between low 80's to something less than 16rpm

6 months of pimping my platter ahead!

18998054588_cbd4e76985_k.jpg

18563063304_eb632e0ffb_k.jpg

18997898070_c5a8e4ac38_k.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

so the speed selecter, bottom left, operates a lever at 14 which slides the arm 11 up and down so the idler wheel at 1 hits the spindle (silver conne by the 3) at any variable point.

The top of the wheel rotates the platter around.

The platter weighs an inconceivable amount, maybe 4 or 5 kilos on its own. The solid timber case and electric motor must weigh another 4 or 5 kilos. This is a lump. But mounted on really bouncy springs that self level to an extent.

Switched on and rotating, it's absolutely silent. You have to look at it to know it's on.

2wcnmz9.jpg

• Like 1

little baby pre amp as an experiment - keyring for scale!

£40 because it was previously reserved for a no show customer so had a big neon reserved sticker half ripped off the box!

Thank you Mr Tallon, please feel free to order some speakers and fail to turn up for them too.

--update-- wired up and it sounds bloody lovely

super chuffed with this, I've already got a decent working unit here, I really am just fiddling to make it nicer from here on in

that's Christmas, birthday and anniversary prezzies sorted for a while!

19270219151_5b5ab106fc_k.jpg

Edited by chrisp65

ok, I don't mean to hijack the thread.......but look at this!

19356378446_97cf3dfec6_k.jpg

18759989284_043370fce0_k.jpg

A 1977 amp, still wonderfully fresh in its original box, original polystyrene and original instructions.

That amp, a tee shirt and a few other little bits n bobs including original literature for my turntable came to £80 and included a PAT test and 6 month guarantee on the amp.

I have to give a really really special shout out to Steve from Hifi Hangar  he is running a hell of a shop!  Scroll down the page of his website to see the tall Eminent Technology speakers - click on the learn more link, he's currently got them set up in the 'modern' room (there's also a retro 70's room) and the sound is just ridiculous. I just laughed at the sounds coming off old records on an old stereo, it is an experience to sit in there. I even enjoyed Jethro bloody Tull.

• Like 2

My first budget tt was a second hand Revolver in 1987, with a Linn Basik+ arm and an Audio Technica at95e,  It's still going strong at a friends parents house today. 

I then moved briefly to a Linn Axis for £300 in 90, followed by a second hand Linn LP12 in 1991 with Ittok LVII and Linn K9, for £700 On a student grant. It still sounds good today. at about £35 a year, tha'ts not bad. It's probably stillworth a few hundred. Don't worry about budget - the best stuff remains timeless...........

But if you want to remain cheap, Rob's suggestion of a Dual 505mkII isn't bad, but it's not very upgradable. A Rega 2 or Revolver, better, a Rega Planar 3, should be achievable for a couple of hundred, and a Linn Basik for about the same. Don't forget Dunlop Systemdek's or Mitchell Gyro's for alternatives, or even a Little Pink Triangle if you can find one.  I think even Roksan did a cheaper entry level turntable for a bit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much identical piece of kit to the first one, except this one is badged as a Goldring Lenco, not just Lenco. But other than that, it's the same piece of kit.

Picture doesn't really show it, but this one is immaculate, looks like new and pretty much identically matches my backroom Ikea shelving! Problem though, I can't get a listenable sound out of it. It turns on and turns at the right speed, but it's sending a tiny distorted signal out. I've changed the whole head, putting a head / cartridge / stylus I know works in there and still rubbish. I've used the pre amp and active speakers I know get a decent sound out of the other one, still rubbish.

Cosmetically, it's far better than the other one, so on the weekend I reckon I'll doing a bit of mix n match.

The guy I bought this off is now digging out his old UK build Leak speakers from his attic. They were put away because they looked dated. Fingers crossed.

19882488406_61b446c5f1_k.jpg

Â