Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership - TTIP

Xann

On 11/25/2015 at 15:23, Awol said:

Any UK/US bilateral trade deal outwith the EU would by definition be independent of TTIP which is designed to encompass a block - like its sister the TPP.  It would therefore be far more transparent and negotiated by people accountable to us, not by some grey suited Euro soup on our behalf. 

As for UKIP, they've been pushing for NHS exemption from TTIP and other good amendments but were defeated in the EU Parliament by a block including Labour MEPs.  I wouldn't want them governing the UK but it's wrong to suggest they are not on the correct side of this issue. 

The idea that, if the negotiating was done by official representatives of her majesties government instead of "some grey suited Euro suit", things would be much better for the average person is laughable. Open your eyes!

• Like 3

But, but... The EU is wonderful... We couldn't possibly make a better and more transparent trade deal as a sovereign country... The UK is useless, etc, etc. 

The European Union is a sovereignty swallowing, democracy destroying corporate project run by, with and for big capital and the European elites who serve them.

It's no coincidence that Morgan Stanley is the biggest contributor to Cameron's campaign to stay in the EU (followed by JP Morgan), you can bet your last penny they know exactly what is in the TTIP as they are probably 'helping' to draft it.

The EU now serves pretty much the same purpose as the Pentagon; it's a device for moving public money into private hands. It's strange, but the EU was conceived as a way to strengthen Europe and allow it some protection from the avarice of US driven corporatism - it now carries out the very duty it was created to prevent.

Unfortunately, it's initial principle still holds true, sovereignty no longer really exists, the UK is already run by and for people like Morgan Stanley, the only real hope was enough people getting together to form some sort of resistance to that - it's failed - and sadly it was about the best hope we had.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The EU now serves pretty much the same purpose as the Pentagon; it's a device for moving public money into private hands. It's strange, but the EU was conceived as a way to strengthen Europe and allow it some protection from the avarice of US driven corporatism - it now carries out the very duty it was created to prevent.

Unfortunately, it's initial principle still holds true, sovereignty no longer really exists, the UK is already run by and for people like Morgan Stanley, the only real hope was enough people getting together to form some sort of resistance to that - it's failed - and sadly it was about the best hope we had.

The European Federalist Movement was funded and directed by the Americans (via CIA) to ensure they would never have to come over and peel France and Germany off each other again.

It was recognised that Germany would always be the hegemonic power of Continental Europe so a mechanism had to be found to achieve that peacefully, hence the EEC/EU.  The EU is not and has never been an "axis of resistance" to the USA. 

I would agree that the UK is controlled by high finance, but the only possible way to alter that is a reordering of our politics.

The first step in doing that is to break away from the EU, which we will have our one and only opportunity to do this summer - assuming the theatre of Cameron's sham renegotiation is completed in time. 

The reason our politics is so sterile and deracinated is the establishment acceptance of the above world order. Free decide our own fate political debate would once again be about ideas, rather than the current pretence and deceit masquerading as democracy.

Yep, the way to stop TTIP, the way to stop big business and banks and the establishment from taking everything, is to leave the EU.

Once we are free of the EU then our current media set up, our politics, the money houses, the international investment funds, lobbyists and our businesses will be free to unite and ensure that the honest hardworking British family is put before profit and control.

Where do I sign up for this bollocks?

I just don't get "it".

I've always thought the the E.U was a good thing, free trade between E.U countries, although we pay into the E.U we always seemed to get more out of it.

I'm not very well versed in the politics (obviously), but what benefit would the UK have by leaving the E.U?

What problems would we face? 

And how would it affect the every man?

It's so obvious what the advantages of leaving would be.

Whilst we are in europe we have to comply with their rules to sell them stuff and their stuff that we buy has to be of an agreed standard.

Obviously if we weren't in the club making the rules we could sell them any old shit that didn't comply with their rules. We would also then be free to trade more with India. Currently Belgium does more trade with India than we do, so clearly it's the EU holding us back.

To be honest Lapal, I think it comes down to what shade of grey suit you'd rather be **** over by. A somber dark grey British suit, a mid grey German suit, a stiff black Chinese suit, or a shiny silver American suit. You're free to pick any colour suit you fancy for your **** over, that's the beauty of democracy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, the way to stop TTIP, the way to stop big business and banks and the establishment from taking everything, is to leave the EU.

Once we are free of the EU then our current media set up, our politics, the money houses, the international investment funds, lobbyists and our businesses will be free to unite and ensure that the honest hardworking British family is put before profit and control.

Where do I sign up for this bollocks?

Anyone can construct a straw man, knock it down and then say "look how clever I am!" 

My point was leaving the EU isn't a destination, it is (or could be) the beginning of a journey to genuine political change. The existing two major parties are corporate shills that need to be smashed and replaced by new parties in a sovereign Parliament that can fight over real ideas.

The EU is a straitjacket that prevents any chance of it ever happening, its purpose is to centralise and suck power to the centre by increasing control over the member states.

If you actually listen to the President of the EU Parliament or the leaders of its various factions they are explicit in stating that the end point of the EU journey is a Federal Superstate. They make that case honestly and openly, which although I disagree is a position I respect. 

The UK establishment goes out of its way to play this down or flat out ignore it because most British people don't want it. 

You may well think that is "bollocks" but at least say why instead of that smug effort above. 

I thought my second paragraph was all the explanation, all the 'why' that was needed for my smug closing one liner.

What odds would you give on Britannia Utopia being the end result of leaving the EU?

What exactly would be demonstrably improved for an average family in Taunton or Carlisle? 

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's so obvious what the advantages of leaving would be.

Whilst we are in europe we have to comply with their rules to sell them stuff and their stuff that we buy has to be of an agreed standard.

Obviously if we weren't in the club making the rules we could sell them any old shit that didn't comply with their rules. We would also then be free to trade more with India. Currently Belgium does more trade with India than we do, so clearly it's the EU holding us back.

To be honest Lapal, I think it comes down to what shade of grey suit you'd rather be **** over by. A somber dark grey British suit, a mid grey German suit, a stiff black Chinese suit, or a shiny silver American suit. You're free to pick any colour suit you fancy for your **** over, that's the beauty of democracy.

maybe India really really likes Belgian chocolate  ?  Cameron signed a £9bn trade deal with India in Nov last year which probably isn't factored into the stat you're quoting though

If you look at direct Imports and Exports  Switzerland is the biggest European trading partner of India and they are outside of the EU  .. as are the 5 trading partners above them in the list ..... 

interestingly during his visit last year Modi was quoted as saying  "As far as India is concerned, if there is an entry point to the European Union, that is the UK".

Yep, noted Tony.

I think my point (as clumsy and rushed as it was), was that it isn't membership of the EU that is stopping us trading overseas. The EU isn't restricting you or me from selling our services to India or Malaysia or Brazil.

I'm not particularly pro or anti the EU. I'm just getting increasingly frustrated by nebulous opinion on what flag is nicest being touted as facts about our future security and prosperity.

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What exactly would be demonstrably improved for an average family in Taunton or Carlisle? 

it's a trick question really  .... chances are any figures quoted for this would be dismissed as being from some Uber right little Britain organisation and then be countered with figures from a pro Europe source 

according to figures in 2013 we paid £10 bn more into the EU pot than we took out , divide that by 60 million people and that's a saving of £166 per person  .... in it's simplest terms .. ( though I'm crap at maths so I'd double check that figure)  .. but Mr Joe Taunton is better off in that case :)

the case about jobs and import and exports is far more complex of course ... if we could leave and still secure zero tariffs on trade between the UK and the EU then the impact wouldn't be as huge as it would be if that deal couldn't be secured .... and I guess that's the millions € question on all of this debate  and why ultimately I think the UK will vote to stay in  

Edited by tonyh29

I've seen that calculation based on the 10 Billion net contribution. Then I've also seen the 'counter' argument that if we scrap all that silly money in versus money out non-sense, leave the EU but still want to be a favoured trading partner, then we will have to 'buy' a licence to trade.

This is what Norway has done, and that costs them 30 Billion. So Joe Taunton would be one hundred and fifty quid worse off. If that is the case, if we are being asked to choose between being 10 or 15 quid better or worse off a month, then it's getting towards insignificant. They could redress that with a shave one way or the other on Nat Insurance.

The 'counter counter' argument currently appears to be that ah yes, but they wouldn't make us pay a licence, we're British!

I don't understand how we can be asked to decide something without any actual agreed undisputed facts and figures. I know we can't predict the future, but surely we can know basic costs and consequences. That leads me to think that we've actually lost any grip on what anything actually costs and what any levers actually control and are being asked to choose between two snake oil salesmen. I don't want to do that.

55 minutes ago, Awol said:

Anyone can construct a straw man, knock it down and then say "look how clever I am!"

The problem with any discussion/debate about the EU and what happens as the result of a yes or no vote in any referendum is that it is littered with straw men and dubious certainties on each side as to what may or may not happen and that includes any trade deals and how they may compare to the likes of TTIP and TPP or in whose interests a supposedly sovereign UK's negotiating team would actually be working.

Edited by snowychap

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

interestingly during his visit last year Modi was quoted as saying  "As far as India is concerned, if there is an entry point to the European Union, that is the UK"

If the UK were no longer part of the EU then wouldn't it therefore cease to be that entry point for a country like India?

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

If the UK were no longer part of the EU then wouldn't it therefore cease to be that entry point for a country like India?

Which itself may or may not depend on whether we leave, then negotiate a 30 billion pound favoured partner status.

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not entirely sure what he meant to be honest  .... I took it at face value to be saying India would deal with you regardless of if you are in or out ( I can't see India stopping direct trade with he EU and going through the UK only ) but would prefer it if we stayed in

2 hours ago, Awol said:

the UK is controlled by high finance, but the only possible way to alter that is a reordering of our politics.

The first step in doing that is to break away from the EU, which we will have our one and only opportunity to do this summer - assuming the theatre of Cameron's sham renegotiation is completed in time. 

The reason our politics is so sterile and deracinated is the establishment acceptance of the above world order. Free decide our own fate political debate would once again be about ideas, rather than the current pretence and deceit masquerading as democracy.

Yes the UK (as per America and much of the rest of the world) is really controlled and run for the benefit of big business and multi-national finance.

I'm not sure I agree with your proposed "solution" though. I think the TTIP is an absolute abomination and the way that it's being progressed within the EU is appalling. Trouble is, the "people" bringing this to our attention are not UK politicians - where's the outcry, such as there is one coming from? Pretty much from Greens and left wing and left-ish MEPs and pressure groups. By and large mainstream UK parties are not addressing TTIP in ways other than to passively ignore it (Labour), support it, but say little (tories), or meekly respond to the odd question by picking on a small part of it that suits their agenda (UKIP).

UK politicians mostly are part of the problem, not part of the solution. Splitting from the EU would likely see the break up of the UK as Scotland wants to stay in. We'd be left with an England with a  permanent tory Gov't. Unfortunately the tories are the most supine, fat cat friendly pro big business and multi-national finance party you could possibly conceive of. leaving the EU would expose us to worse, not better "resistance" to being ever more walked over by corporations.

The whole Europe/EU thing is like choosing between two unappealing punishments. Either way you get a beating

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

We'd be left with an England with a  permanent tory Gov't

even though Blair would have won his 3 terms without Scotland and even allowing for the boundary changes that Labour then put in place to make it difficult for the Tory's to win a majority ( though of course they are changing  (or will)  these back now the Lib Dems can't tit for tat and stop them )

Â