Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership - TTIP

Xann

The EU minister in charge of TTIP negotiations...

When put to her, Malmström acknowledged that a trade deal has never inspired such passionate and widespread opposition. Yet when I asked the trade commissioner how she could continue her persistent promotion of the deal in the face of such massive public opposition, her response came back icy cold: “I do not take my mandate from the European people.”

Oh.

Who the **** do you take your mandate from?

Independent

:) The European Union in the raw.  You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Leaders of almost every major political party in the United Kingdom have signed an appeal not to allow a transatlantic trade deal known as TTIP become the Trojan horse that allows American business interests to take over the NHS.

Except the Tories, obviously.

Independent

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no fan of Assange but that video is sobering. Of course we could just leave the EU,then it wouldn't apply to us - along with a raft of other anti-democratic and Brussels inspired BS.

The west has been on a dodgy path for a while now with the elites sucking power to the centre and then building walls around it to keep the great unwashed at bay. The United States is cheerfully advancing down the road of authoritarian corporatism and the EU is not far behind. The UK pulling out would probably inspire others to do the same, potentially bringing the whole rotten edifice down and thus preserving democracy for another generation or two before they gear up for the next attempt. 

I've not been on the booze or wrapping myself in bacofoil, but it seems pretty clear the citizens of Europe are in a perpetual battle against forces that wish totalitarian government upon us. The EU is simply the latest in a series of attempts over the last two hundred years to impose that model, although this time by stealth, not force.

Globalisation has created a level of connectivity and mutual self interest between national elites that was previously kept in check by national borders, leading to a zero sum game played out in state on state conflict. However that very connectivity between ordinary citizens through the information revolution is the one thing that can puncture this new reality being created around us. They know it, hence the battle to control it, and through it, us.

Fight the power!! ;)

Edited by Awol
Formatting

Sadly, the organisations that want us out of the EU seem largely focused on the idea that it's not moving quickly enough to a corporate takeover. UKIP and to an extent the Tories are looking at coming out of the EU to get into this deal more quickly and to get a better benefit for the UK's corporate power seat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadly, the organisations that want us out of the EU seem largely focused on the idea that it's not moving quickly enough to a corporate takeover. UKIP and to an extent the Tories are looking at coming out of the EU to get into this deal more quickly and to get a better benefit for the UK's corporate power seat.

Any UK/US bilateral trade deal outwith the EU would by definition be independent of TTIP which is designed to encompass a block - like its sister the TPP.  It would therefore be far more transparent and negotiated by people accountable to us, not by some grey suited Euro soup on our behalf. 

As for UKIP, they've been pushing for NHS exemption from TTIP and other good amendments but were defeated in the EU Parliament by a block including Labour MEPs.  I wouldn't want them governing the UK but it's wrong to suggest they are not on the correct side of this issue. 

Edited by Awol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not TTIP, but TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership), which is basically the same thing but for North America and Asia. New Zealand Economy minister Stephen Joyce faced some slightly unhappy members of the public after his government ratified the treaty this week:

spg0ijisqff1anyd38jh.gif

Yep, that's an enormous dildo to the face. Got to compliment the accuracy there. 

• Like 2

Just try and stop watching it loop! I've watched it about 6000 times over. 

EDIT: It's hard to pick a favourite part of this very short gif, because there's so much to unpack, but if I had to choose, it would be the way the dildo tags the woman on the left right on the bewb on the way down. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â