Off Season Optimism Thread

jackbauer24

I'm sure a mod can edit this thread to look like the monthly optimism ones.

So how you feel this off season? Optimistic about the future? Fed up of football? Concerned the only Villa stories in the press are about departures? Bored by the takeover saga?

Takeover: If this happens, I'll be confident of mid-table.

No takeover: Relegated.

Simple as that really.

If we're taken over by a mega rich owner, there's still a limit to the amount they can spend.

Does anyone know the maximum net spend we're allowed under FFP and how this compares to other teams around us? I would imagine we can outspend most teams outside the top 8 if the owner decided to surely?

Not optimistic about the future. Fed up of some part of football probably highlighted more by the corruption at FIFA and FFP now having some change because Inter and Milan/PSG ask whereas English clubs don't matter. Not concerned about some departures but probably the scale of work needed could be a worry. Not too fussed about the takeover but need a new direction which I expect the club will confirm either way via a new chairman or the sale of the club.

Simple as that really.

If we're taken over by a mega rich owner, there's still a limit to the amount they can spend.

Does anyone know the maximum net spend we're allowed under FFP and how this compares to other teams around us? I would imagine we can outspend most teams outside the top 8 if the owner decided to surely?

Yes I know. But whilst we are looking for a new owner, Lerner isn't going to stretch beyond what he thinks he can get away with.

we are going to lose benteke i have no doubt about that and imo he has kept us up for the past three seasons so thats a big concern. also we need some decent quality instead of the half arsed shit we have now. without being too negative i fancy us to go down next season as it stands but that could change depending who comes in.

Simple as that really.

Yes I know. But whilst we are looking for a new owner, Lerner isn't going to stretch beyond what he thinks he can get away with.

Whilst we've been shit for many years, this is the first time he's been forced to make a mangerial decision during the season. We really were that shit.

Hopefully this has given him a bit of a wake-up call to try to at least be competitive in the market. We're the last placed surviving team that's about to lose 3 key players. Fox will surely realise that serious investment is required just to maintain 4th from bottom. Hopefully the ambition is a bit higher than that though.

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure our revenue stream will be higher than all bar the top 4 + Liverpool, Spuds, maybe Newcastle and Everton. We'll need to outspend the other teams if we're to survive another year.

we are going to lose benteke i have no doubt about that and imo he has kept us up for the past three seasons so thats a big concern. also we need some decent quality instead of the half arsed shit we have now. without being too negative i fancy us to go down next season as it stands but that could change depending who comes in.

I agree we'll lose Benteke but we're unlikely to be able to replace those goals unless we find a real gem. Getting someone like Austin could be good but we need a team that simply has more match winner in it.

I'm normally very upbeat about all things AVFC but I have no enthusiasm whatsoever for the forthcoming season. Maybe it's just a hangover from last Saturday.

Edited by Robbie09

I agree we'll lose Benteke but we're unlikely to be able to replace those goals unless we find a real gem. Getting someone like Austin could be good but we need a team that simply has more match winner in it.

i think austin would be a superb signing but i think hes destined for better things which is sad to say. 

I think the last three inept performances, complete with baffling line ups and substitutions, naive tactics and the inevitable losses of benteke, Vlaar and cleverly (gone) have sapped all optimism from me.

We need wholesale changes coming from reinvigorated investment from the owner (again unlikely to happen)

Even if we cobble together a squad, I can still see us struggling.

Yes, we'll play a more open game but teams will continue to suss out how to competently defend against us and score.

As it stands right now, we'll be in the same relegation battle next season.

• Like 1

Pretty much what everyone else is saying.. 

I am normally a positive kind of guy but also will base my decision on what's apparent in front of me whilst also taking into account Media BS etc.

We were the worst of the rest last season and have been falling backwards year on year for way too long. In life there is no standing still, you are either on an upward curve or a downward one, sadly i think our owner is of the belief that you can "hold" your position by standing still.....This is incorrect Mr Lerner and we are currently still on a downward curve we started several years ago.

If we remain on that curve into next season we will be relegated. 

We need to find a way to reverse the curve, then i will be optimistic.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

I'm optimistic as before Sherwood came in watching Villa was a painful chore and now it is fun again even if last few weeks have been poor but most part has been a fun renaissance so far

• Like 2

Â