Lad culture

norwegianvillain

I find it odd that when I go to watch Villa I see 'lad culture' in it's purest form but then when on a Villa forum the clientele seem to be the complete opposite.

this.

That's what people like troon say, whilst wearing his kilt and holding his pet haggi*.

hagi-NATIONALA.jpg

used to be one of my favourite players.

Hagi metaphorically broke my heart and literally broke my head at the worst football occasion of my life.

Got knocked out of the world cup, got literally knocked out by a steel beam and saw a man killed with a flare gun, fired by someone a few seats away from me. Didn't go to any football any level for a whole season or an international match for 10 years after that.

why do scousers always say lad in near enough every sentence.

As someone from Liverpool you have a good point. It is worse the closer you live to the City Centre. It drives me insane. Lad took over from 'la' about 15 years ago when I was at High School. Both are annoying IMO. You still get a few old timers saying 'la'.

Alright lad.....what's 'appnin' lad....... are particular annoyances but as you say, every sentence! If Bickster is still about driving taxi's he will be able to make significant additions to the scouse 'Lad' or 'La' phrase book unless his taxi routes are restricted to Formby and Southport :).

if truth be told i like the scouse lingo. how come your a villa fan then?

It's the question I am always asked - the answer is simply Villa are the first team I watched and saw and I liked Paul McGrath, Dwight Yorke and Mark Bosnich. I was given the choice to support who I wanted by my old man and I'm glad for that even though he is a big Plop fan. I got a lot of sh*t for it when I was younger but stuck to my guns, wore the kits all year round and had a bedroom decorated in Villa colours. My brother supported Spurs as a kid but bottled it and now supports Liverpool. Both as bad as each other.  

• Like 4

I think that young men these days feel so emasculated and irrelevant that they tend to take everything to extremes to feel alive and important. It's separate from drinking culture, but aligned with it, showing off about drinking is nothing new. The proliferation of social media has which brings it's own issues has made the need to appear 'ladish' even worse. I find 'laddishness' artificial, but every generation has their 'code' I guess and this is theirs. I dislike it, it seems you must show off about everything you do, be misogynistic and over the top.

You might be onto something there. I'm in my mid-20s and feel like many my age are in some sort of prolonged adolescence.

Personally I feel a lot of it is due to changes in society. When my parents were my age they were settling down and having kids. Nowadays, it's the minority doing that for a variety of reasons. Partly financial and partly cultural.

From the financial aspect, people like to feel some form of stability before starting a family which isn't there in the same way it seems it was 30 years ago. Insecure jobs, impossibly high house prices and an inability to raise a family on a single wage don't help.

Culturally, the majority of women my age are more concerned with starting a career than a family. While this isn't a bad thing in itself, it means that the responsibilities that caused past generations to 'grow up' aren't there anymore - or at least not as quickly.

All in all which leads to people my age acting like they're still teenagers.

Edited by TS
  • Like 1

It's turned into Ladette culture and the streets are full of fat girls with some profound statement along the lines of " what doesn't kill me makes me stronger " tattooed across the top of their arse for everyone can see

That's been going on for years.  The first wave of "Lad" culture happened at about the time I was leaving school the mid 1990s with Oasis, Loaded magazine and Men Behaving Badly being incredibly popular.    

I would imagine that Ben Sherman profits peaked around that time too.

It's turned into Ladette culture and the streets are full of fat girls with some profound statement along the lines of " what doesn't kill me makes me stronger " tattooed across the top of their arse for everyone can see

That's been going on for years. The first wave of "Lad" culture happened at about the time I was leaving school the mid 1990s with Oasis, Loaded magazine and Men Behaving Badly being incredibly popular.

I would imagine that Ben Sherman profits peaked around that time too.

I actually own one single shirt, I wear it to weddings, funerals and job interviews, yep it's a Ben sherman

I've has it about 10 years but the fact it only gets worn 2 maybe 3 times a year means it's in tip top condition

Nothing wrong with Ben Sherman, Fred perry, Lacoste etc

I'm not going to let some chav on his way for a cheeky nandos in his baseball cap, trackside bottoms, Lacoste trainers and Ben Sherman shirt stop me from mine with a nice pair of smart jeans and shoes

And lad (and ladette) culture is going crazy because like everything else it's become a way of making money, towie and Geordie shore with their millionaires with absolutely no talent of discernible features other than that they are "lads" then dapper laughs who got his own tv show for being a "lad" then all these "lad" bible things on social media

Reality TV + social media = the huge number of dickheads in society, we actively celebrate stupidity in this country

• Like 2

People on Twitter making rape jokes in the name of bantz.

I remember when I was round my mom n dads and he was watching Emmerdale, someone was on screen who he didn't like so he thrown out what I thought was possibly the single most funniest line ever ''I **** hate her, I hope she gets raped by a cow'' I have no idea where it came from but I spat my beer everywhere when he said it.

Â