Lad culture

norwegianvillain

It's just a bunch of bellends who never grew up. I hardly think it's a new phenomenon though, just given a different name. Is the American equivalent the 'jock' that's always been in the teen movies (nothing to do with the Scotch).

It's just a bunch of bellends who never grew up. I hardly think it's a new phenomenon though, just given a different name. Is the American equivalent the 'jock' that's always been in the teen movies (nothing to do with the Scotch).

A 'jock' is an athlete in American culture. There equivalent of laddism is more the frat boy (think Animal House) or "bro" is it not?

You are right though, it's not new and it's not uniquely British. People like drinking excessively and acting like dicks.

• Like 1

why do scousers always say lad in near enough every sentence.

They don't. They say "la". Hence the band, The La's.

Actually La is very old school scouse these days, it morphed from La back to Lad, then into the self piss taking Lid and now rests back with Lad

Oh and I f**king detest being called lad by any number of the words removed that call it me on a daly basis, I'm bloody 50 you morons!

Its actually that ingrained that now even the female of the species even call their female friends lad. My daughter revealed to me the other day that she does it to her mates, I nearly disowned her for a nanosecond.

• Like 3

As someone from Liverpool you have a good point. It is worse the closer you live to the City Centre. It drives me insane. Lad took over from 'la' about 15 years ago when I was at High School. Both are annoying IMO. You still get a few old timers saying 'la'.

Alright lad.....what's 'appnin' lad....... are particular annoyances but as you say, every sentence! If Bickster is still about driving taxi's he will be able to make significant additions to the scouse 'Lad' or 'La' phrase book unless his taxi routes are restricted to Formby and Southport :).

There's a difference between calling people lads and lad culture.

I'll regularly saying I'm going out with the lads tonight. Or I'm watching the football with the lads.

Or if I'm playing football I'll say "Come on Lads" or whatever.

Doesn't mean we're getting absolutely wasted and acting like bellends

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with that really, "lads" isn't owned by the drinking and puking demographic. I say "lads" sometimes and I'm not referring to lad culture.  It's like how the Welsh can often refer to a group of men as "boys". 

• Like 1

As someone from Liverpool you have a good point. It is worse the closer you live to the City Centre. It drives me insane. Lad took over from 'la' about 15 years ago when I was at High School. Both are annoying IMO. You still get a few old timers saying 'la'.

Alright lad.....what's 'appnin' lad....... are particular annoyances but as you say, every sentence! If Bickster is still about driving taxi's he will be able to make significant additions to the scouse 'Lad' or 'La' phrase book unless his taxi routes are restricted to Formby and Southport :).

if truth be told i like the scouse lingo. how come your a villa fan then?

As someone from Liverpool you have a good point. It is worse the closer you live to the City Centre. It drives me insane. Lad took over from 'la' about 15 years ago when I was at High School. Both are annoying IMO. You still get a few old timers saying 'la'.

Alright lad.....what's 'appnin' lad....... are particular annoyances but as you say, every sentence! If Bickster is still about driving taxi's he will be able to make significant additions to the scouse 'Lad' or 'La' phrase book unless his taxi routes are restricted to Formby and Southport :).

if truth be told i like the scouse lingo. how come your a villa fan then?
Best team in the world eh.

That's what people like troon say, whilst wearing his kilt and holding his pet haggi*.

*What's the plural of haggis?

Good question, I've never eaten more than one at a time so never really thought about it.
  • Like 1

I think that young men these days feel so emasculated and irrelevant that they tend to take everything to extremes to feel alive and important. It's separate from drinking culture, but aligned with it, showing off about drinking is nothing new. The proliferation of social media has which brings it's own issues has made the need to appear 'ladish' even worse. I find 'laddishness' artificial, but every generation has their 'code' I guess and this is theirs. I dislike it, it seems you must show off about everything you do, be misogynistic and over the top.

Â