Lad culture

norwegianvillain

After living in Britain for two years, I have still not fully understood the concept of lad culture, and it seems to be a ''thing'' in the media. Is it just about drunk 18 year olds behaving like cavemen on a saturday night, or could someone try to explain?

I don't think 'lad culture'' really exists any more, if you ask me it was something that was around with oasis and them sorts of times, these day's 'lad culture' is all about lads who hit the gym to turn themselves into muscle bound freaks who then get shit tattoos, wax their chest and pluck their eyebrows.

• Like 1

way I see it is that is a justification for people to act like clearings in the woods and then call it LAD culture

actually I think you should be allowed punch people that use the expression lad

• Like 1

way I see it is that is a justification for people to act like clearings in the woods and then call it LAD culture

Zatman my lad, What's up lad  :D

• Like 2

It's turned into Ladette culture and the streets are full of fat girls with some profound statement along the lines of " what doesn't kill me makes me stronger " tattooed across the top of their arse for everyone can see

• Like 1

I single handedly blame Tim Lovejoy and his merry band of twatty producers in the late 90s/early 00's for Soccer AM giving football fans ideas on how to be a bloke.

It's all about who shouts loudest now and 20 year old men calling everyone they know 'son'.

• Like 4

It's turned into Ladette culture and the streets are full of fat girls with some profound statement along the lines of " what doesn't kill me makes me stronger " tattooed across the top of their arse for everyone can see

That's been going on for years.  The first wave of "Lad" culture happened at about the time I was leaving school the mid 1990s with Oasis, Loaded magazine and Men Behaving Badly being incredibly popular.  The "ladette" movement was very close behind, Zoe Ball & Sarah Cox made a fortune out of fronting it.  

Blissfully unaware of the irony as they scoff their third packet of Beef McCoys before noon.

In 1997 I was working in Scotland, and one Friday the saucy Fiona, fancied by every one of my male colleagues, asked me if I'd be going to the office pub meet-up. In my surprise and excitement my brain switched to Low Function mode, and I came out with something like "Not sure, I'll just check what the lads are doing." It was the first time I'd ever used the word in my life. Thinking back I can literally see her face change to an expression which said "Oh my god, he's actually an idiot."

• Like 1

Â