Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Even in the areas where they were apparently "Excellent", I found it to be patchy.

Definitely worth looking into. I don't know how they get their stats, but they claim to cover 90% of the UK I think. I must be pretty unlucky to spend a lot of my time in that last 10%

The maps are usually for outdoor coverage. In this country we don't spend a lot of time outdoors :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

You're going to be living and working in different places. Don't lock in to a contract because inevitably it won't work somewhere you need it to.

Get a MotoG or Xperia E5 and a cheap SIM until you're settled and then you can decide what you want to do. You can get SIM only on most of the networks through cheap resellers so you can try the different networks.

Once you're settled you might want to reconsider and do something different. Don't forget that the prices you quote for the 24 month contract aren't fixed

They're not fixed? That's naughty!  Seeing the offer above I've always done well with O2, but you're right on trying it out first.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Even in the areas where they were apparently "Excellent", I found it to be patchy.

Definitely worth looking into. I don't know how they get their stats, but they claim to cover 90% of the UK I think. I must be pretty unlucky to spend a lot of my time in that last 10%

I guess coverage probably means any type of signal so long as there is a signal.  Perhaps I'll tip them round the post!

I've always had a company phone so not had to think about this for about 15 years. I'm like a philistine!

I wouldn't rely on what i've said, I might have been unlucky. But I'd definitely double check before you lock yourself into 2 years.

I had 2 years with them with almost no signal in my office. Incredibly annoying

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

They're not fixed? That's naughty!  Seeing the offer above I've always done well with O2, but you're right on trying it out first.

I don't think they've ever been fixed. They are only supposed to rise with costs, but what constitutes those "costs" isn't defined.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been waiting for the LG G5 to come out. Pre-orders are up now.

Was looking at buying handset outright but O2 have a couple of contract offers that work out cheaper.

Their cheapest tariff (one I'm already on) is £14 monthly, you can get the handset with no upfront cost for £18 a month coming in at £432. I'm probably gonna go for the option to pay £79.99 up front and then £14 a month to come in at £391.99. Cheaper than the £460 to buy it outright.

How do you know they work out cheaper? The monthly SIM deals change, um, monthly. Are you ignoring the clause which says they can increase the price at any time as long as they can justify it as "reasonable"? Or when you move and there's no signal at your new home or work? Or when your local BTS goes down and you can't use your phone for a few months and have to buy a SIM on another network to use your phone.

It amazes me that people can be so confident that their life won't change in 24 months. That £70 you think you're saving can become a false economy really quickly.

• Like 1

Are you referring to yearly RPI increase clause? I'll be hit by that either way as I'd get a 12 month sim only deal. 

As much as I'd like there's no chance of me moving house anytime soon and my phone goes into flight mode when I'm at work. 

To buy outright I'd be using my credit card and paying off over 5-6 months having a longer commitment with no interest is much more preferable to me.

From Section 1.2(b) of the Simplicity contract.

Your Out-of-Bundle prices may also change and we reserve the right to increase Charges at any time by any amount

There's also nothing in the contract (that I can see) that would stop them reducing the contents of your bundle if they can justify it under such poorly defined terms as "fair use" (the definition of which they can change at any time). You also grant them the ability to cancel your contract because of "fair use" and you'd still have to pay the monthly charge until the end date. I'm not saying these things are likely, just that 24 months is a long time to be tied in.

You are right that if you commit to a 12 month SIM-only deal then it's not much different than a 24 month deal in terms of ease of cancellation. So why do that?

I'm very pleased for you that you know that your house and job are secure for at least 2 years. I don't think that's true for most people.

You can get a 0% credit card and pay the handset off before you pay any interest.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

Looking at the one plus 2 and a sim only deal, anyone any experience with it?

The guy who sits next to me a work has one. I am so tempted. I love that it's dual SIM.

On 4/7/2016 at 08:49, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

Looking at the one plus 2 and a sim only deal, anyone any experience with it?

Is that the 1D deal 500 mins 1000 texts and 4g data for £10? great deal until i saw was owned by carphone warehouse hate them a-holes

Just had this offer come through top cashback. £15 cashback from them with a sim only deal, and theyre offering 16gb data, unlimited minutes and texts for £11.49 per month (£20.99 er month but have to claim cashback from the website to average it out to £11.49). Still seems a good deal though, any thoughts? Seems too good to be true?

http://www.e2save.com/sim-only/contract/ee/pay-monthly-nano-sim-card-on-ee?network=ee&tariffcode=JPJ2EMAR16&giftcode=DPLR1514727

Edited by ThisCouldBeRotterdam

1 hour ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

Just had this offer come through top cashback. £15 cashback from them with a sim only deal, and theyre offering 16gb data, unlimited minutes and texts for £11.49 per month (£20.99 er month but have to claim cashback from the website to average it out to £11.49). Still seems a good deal though, any thoughts? Seems too good to be true?

Rather than make us all follow the link - which network and what's the contract term?

Â