Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

I haven't, but plenty of people at work have and haven't had a problem.

That's obviously the major drawback, if Vodafone suck or my situation changes then I'm stuck in a 24 month contract.

Originally I was going to do just that, buy my phone outright and stick it on my credit card. But I've just checked and it's actually a 20% discount I get on Vodafone, so that £31 a month will actually be under £25 a month. So £10 extra per month than my GiffGaff.

So over the 24 months that's effectively £240 for a brand new phone. Half the price than if I bought it outright.

Not sure I can pass that up.

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

That only has 200 minutes. The old £15 plan had unlimited data, and something like 2000 minutes and 4,000 texts.

Anyone that has to use more than 600 minutes and wants unlimited data needs the £30 a month tariff now.

If I get bumped off my plan I'll go for the £20 plan, because I love the internet, but hate people. :P

The person you've invented could get a dual SIM phone. Use data on the unlimited data SIM and have the other SIM on a contract with lots of voice minutes.

I lot of calls I make now are over Hangouts / Signal / WhatsApp and I don't need an allowance for them.The £20 deal will be fine for me and I suspect most data users.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's all about data for me these days.

My last monthly statement from Giff Gaff had me using 36 text messages and 4 minutes of calls.

If I didn't need to tether I'd be on GiffGaff. I do, so I'm on three.

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's all about data for me these days.

My last monthly statement from Giff Gaff had me using 36 text messages and 4 minutes of calls.

Yep thats how the world has evolved these days. Noone texts these days preferring whatsapp to message

well you could always go with voda and if you experience problems you do get 14 days to cancel if they piss you about like they did with me. but I dont care how cheap they are, I would never go with them ever again

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I'm probably gonna go for it anyway.

But if they end up being arseholes then I'll come back and eat humble pie in front of you, Dem :D

(actually I've already emailed them about the discount we get and the response I got was absolute nonsense, so you may be onto something :D :D)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm probably gonna go for it anyway.

But if they end up being arseholes then I'll come back and eat humble pie in front of you, Dem :D

(actually I've already emailed them about the discount we get and the response I got was absolute nonsense, so you may be onto something :D :D)

Why what did they say??!

I asked them a really simple question: whether I could take out a Vodafone contract through a third party retailer like Carphone Warehouse and still be eligible for the discount, or whether I had to do it directly through Vodafone.

I thought that was pretty simple. I got an overly complicated email back telling me that due to confidentiality reasons they couldn't reveal any account information, and instead needed all my account information first. They gave me a list of stuff I needed to send them. 

Bear in mind I don't have an account, I was just making an inquiry.

I literally just replied "How is that relevant to my question? Forget it"

:D

38 minutes ago, limpid said:

Sounds like a scam.

troll face

It actually does. I had to double check it came from a proper Vodafone account :D

They've since replied and apologised and given me the simple answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It actually does. I had to double check it came from a proper Vodafone account :D

They've since replied and apologised and given me the simple answer.

Ah yes that sounds like Vodafone. God absolute morons stay away Stevo!!!

Contract is up next month.

Any good deals around at the mo? I'd need about 250 mins max, 500 texts max and about 8-10gb of data.

Budget is around £30 a month, not bothered about phone as long as it's isn't crap.

The Ultimate SIM — £16 a month. 
You've only got 3 days left to pick up the Ultimate SIM deal from BT Mobile and save £4 a month on our usual price. So with unlimited calls, texts and 20GB of data - no matter what you love using your mobile for, there's no need to use it wisely. 
Hurry! Offer ends on 15 February (Roundel)

Here's what else you get:
Tick Fast 4G as standard
Tick Monthly spend cap to avoid nasty bill surprises
Tick Unlimited calls to 0800 numbers and voicemail
Tick And you get to keep your own phone number.

Don't 

forget you also get:
Tick Free, unlimited access to the UK's largest wi-fi network

Watch Barclays Premier League matches live, exclusively on BT Sport Lite through the BT Sport app. 

http://ecomm.bt.com/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=E89E7_pt4onGgA%2Br2_6d1acmqPqOAoxJp1gLG_g99bSQOn0owjtnTyA4mvJzeU8zUw2jKsaIua5GxfhtRQ__deAmSDG_a

Was £20. Now only £16 a month. 20GB data Unlimited texts Unlimited minutes 12 month contract (Sim card)

I went for that Vodafone deal I mentioned earlier, although I went up to the £35 a month option (£28 after my discount) as it was only a £29 up front cost compared to a £99 for the lower cost per month deal.

Plus I get a load more data (11GB compared to 7GB) so that's a bonus.

@Stevo985

It's an internet exclusive deal I think, unltd mins, unltd texts, 11gig of data, £30 upfront, green z5. Tempted myself as nothing else around even comes close to that. 

I've got a Vodafone smart ultra 6 currently and apart from a fingerprint scanner and better camera on the z5 I'm not sure if it's worth just sticking with it and getting the £20 sim on giff gaff or going for the z5 deal?

Over 2 years:

Giff gaff sim + smart ultra 6 = £480

Z5 deal = £720

Is the z5 worth the extra £240 over the smart ultra 6? Its better but £240 better?

Edited by Ingram85

Guess it depends on how happy you are with your phone.

For me I needed an upgrade. I'd had my Nexus 5 for 2 and a bit years and it was starting to slow down/ So once I'd decided I needed a phone, the Vodafone thing was extremely attractive as I couldn't get close to it financially on Giff Gaff.

Still a bit apprehensive about the 24 month contract, but I'm sure I'll get over it. Especially as I've found my 4G speeds are quicker than my home internet connection :D 

Â