Fallout 4

Frobisher

My favourite game franchise of all time hands down. Loved 3 and New Vegas so much. Will have to play them both again soon.

Going to have a constant semi between now and release day

Only ever played 5 hours of Fallout (3) but that trailer was awesome.

Need to blast through 3 and maybe NV before this comes out. When's the release date/year?

You can't really "blast" through the games. I'd probably avoid playing Fallout 3, New Vegas or Skyrim (which is basically Fallout with trees) ahead of Fallout 4 just incase you get your fill of the genre five minutes before the game is out.

As for when it gets released? I'd imagine they announce Q3 2016.

October this year I'm hearing

Yeah the gut feeling is that they have it pretty much done and will announce at e3 that it's out before Christmas.

Edited by Ingram85

Do I need to know the story of 1,2 and 3 for 4 to make sense?

Unlikely

You definitely didn't need to know 1 or 2 to enjoy 3, but I'd recommend reading up on them anyways. They're good and the Fallout universe is really very interesting. The whole thing about the vaults and a number of them being social experiments is very dark and fascinating.

Edited by Ginko

Don't think it's essential to know the story's of previous games but I'd be tempted to read about number 3 and NV as bits might crossover here and there.

Then again, it might have no connection at all. E3 will tell us more.

Agreed. If you're going to read up on any then 3 and New Vegas are your best bet. Even if the story isn't directly related -- it's set in Boston though, which isn't a million miles away from D.C where 3 was set -- then you can bet there will be references here and there.

Simply cannot wait for this.

I must have had one of the strangest play-throughs of Fallout 3 - enjoying the trail trough the barren wasteland, stumbling across an abandoned old garage.. having some sort of epiphany inside and spot this strange looking button on the wall of the second room - then not only does this button work but opens a trap door.. to another Vault.

Illustrates the pure brilliance of these games that I could have progressed the story in that way simply by accident.

Bring on Fallout 4!

So... I've never played a Fallout game before.

Do I need to know the story of 1,2 and 3 for 4 to make sense?

Also, what kind of game is it?

Baaaasically, you're in a nuclear apocalypse and 'everyone' lives in vaults which protected people but then you come out and find there's a thriving world outside of the vaults and (Fallout 3 spoiler) 

The vaults were purely just experiments

Think Skyrim with guns and mutants

• Like 1

Never thought the graphics were great on any Fallout game I've seen and that's always been a barrier to me playing them. I know it's no the end of the world but I expect games on my PS4 to look good as that's why I bought it. the

Witcher 3 has set the bar high in regards to story telling and graphics. I hope fallout can do the same as I want to love and I love the premise.

I absolutely loathed Fallout 3 but really liked New Vegas which was done by Obsidian, so I dont have any hopes for this.

Writing was so horrendous in fo3, "Have you seen my dad, the middle-aged guy", argh.

Well that was impressive, few of the Fallout community moaning about the new conversation system and some people suggesting now that it's voiced acted there won't be as much content in the game (Clearly haven't played The Witcher 3).

The outpost building was impressive.

Â