Anti Austerity March - 20th June

Xann

143ksgn.jpg

A lot of organisations seem to have got behind this.

The local Green Party is having a bash to garner support this evening.

Difficult to know for sure, but this looks like it might even attract the interest of the BBC.

Even if it doesn't, you just know Russia Today will be there :)

Reckon I'll be there too.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 4

Reckon I'll be there too.

Good work Sir. :thumb:  :clap:

I bet there's no (official) Labour representation there. How sad. What has the party become?

I think its a good thing. But can anybody explain to me what difference its going to make. Its too late, people decided they didn't care when they voted the Tories in with a majority so the govt are not going to be bothered about a minority protesting against cuts. 

I think its a good thing. But can anybody explain to me what difference its going to make. Its too late, people decided they didn't care when they voted the Tories in with a majority so the govt are not going to be bothered about a minority protesting against cuts. 

would that be the 36.9% of the people that bothered to vote, voted Tory?

I'd say that leaves a wide majority of people who didn't vote Tory.

A good protest, organised in the right way, in big numbers, is always an effective democratic weapon. It needs the numbers, and the coverage.

Edited by Jon

A good protest, organised in the right way, in big numbers, is always an effective democratic weapon. It needs the numbers, and the coverage.

......and what it will get is a couple of thousand soap dodgers getting kettled followed by the inevitable riot and accusations of Police brutality or if you're really lucky Boris' water cannon. 

What it won't do is effect any sort of change whatsoever

• Like 1

If enough people show up, (and it does look like this is getting popular support as opposed to the impromptu protest that didn't happen immediately after the election) then it sends the message to the government "Piss us off too much and we'll be on your doorstep and the doorstep of financial buddies in numbers".

What's making it even more interesting is that the police are facing swingeing cuts to their funding.

If enough people show up, (and it does look like this is getting popular support as opposed to the impromptu protest that didn't happen immediately after the election) then it sends the message to the government "Piss us off too much and we'll be on your doorstep and the doorstep of financial buddies in numbers".

What's making it even more interesting is that the police are facing swingeing cuts to their funding.

There were c.1m people on the streets over Iraq. That changed nothing. Neither will this - sending a message is all well and good but only works if the recipients are listening. 

• Like 1

There were c.1m people on the streets over Iraq. That changed nothing. Neither will this - sending a message is all well and good but only works if the recipients are listening. 

No? We're no longer in Iraq and we didn't go into Syria when they were spoiling for it.

• Like 1

I'd imagine that very few of the intended recipients were originally 'listening' over the years throughout the whole history of protest.

Fortunately, those protesting decided to do it because they wanted to make that statement and they thought their cause (whether it was suffrage, equal pay, equal rights, being for or against war, and so on) worth pursuing.

Had they said to themselves that protest changes nothing and decided against protest, as well as being wrong they would indeed have changed nothing.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Doesn't harm to have the occasional peaceful protest, and BoE to Parliament is so short a journey even students should be able to manage it.

If there is no effective opposition, then it's probably worth reminding them that not everyone in one nation Britain looks like the people they see when they have a constituency fundraiser or a 1922 committee jerk off.

My genuine fear is that there are currently too many people spoiling for a fight before 'cuts' have been announced. That will both put off genuine mums and nans from protesting if it kicks off again, and it will give dubious moral high ground to those tossers that are currently writing up wish lists of things they can close or sell.

Oh, and that march most definitely had an impact on future policy in the middle east.

• Like 1

My genuine fear is that there are currently too many people spoiling for a fight before 'cuts' have been announced. That will both put off genuine mums and nans from protesting if it kicks off again, and it will give dubious moral high ground to those tossers that are currently writing up wish lists of things they can close or sell.

Years ago I did some volunteer work. A meeting was called and, with some effort, we got a large proportion of the volunteers to show up. Unfortunately both the meeting and its agenda were hijacked by a faction within the group intent on pushing a political line that was only really obliquely related to the actual work we were doing.

The result? At the next, far more important meeting, nobody showed up except the political crowd, and the entire organisation thereby fell into the hands of that faction, at the expense of the actual cause we were working for.

So your words are wise, o Crispy one. Plus it's a handy little trick to bear in mind if you are of a Macchiavelian disposition.

Oh, and that march most definitely had an impact on future policy in the middle east.

If nothing else the marches showed how many people dissented, and will have encouraged those few politicians with scruples to actually say something. A few even did.

It is indeed a handy trick straight out of the upstart's handbook.

In fact, briefly, I was that apprentice hijacker. Luckily, in the mid 1980's the internet wasn't around to record your personal learning curve through life.

just another excuse for faux Trotskyist's to smash a few buildings and cause some carnage on the streets of London 

hope the coppers spend the weeks leading up to it watching re-runs of how they baton charged the miners and sorted them out

• Like 1

Yes but my point really is that the time to do is was before the election not after. Thats when it could have made a difference, now although I applaud everybody that goes on it, it will serve no purpose. 

Edited by PaulC

Â