limpid

To be honest it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either.

Fair play to Swindon, they pressed hard and played the ball on the floor.

I thought the back four of Amavi, Clark, Richards and Hutton looked ok. Some expected errors but think the unit will get better with time. For his debut, having only met his new team mates yesterday, Amavi showed real class.

Midfield was an issue, Gardner started poorly but did come into the game. Westwood didn't look too comfortable in a midfield two but did the basics well.

Attack wise, Sinclair was much better than his last appearance, Gil again showed flashes of greatness but went to ground easily but Bacuna was awful.

Gabby did everything a lone striker should do (lead the line, dragged defenders out of position, get behind the defensive line) but squandered all his chances yet again.

2nd half became a bit of a sub-fest and the game naturally petered out.

Out of the youth, Sellars performed well (and outshone Robinson), Calder was also pretty decent.

Hopefully with the likes of Guzan, Okore, Gueye, Grealish and Kozak to come back into the team, we'll have better strength and depth.

• Like 2

One thing I was impressed with tonight was the coaching of the subs, there was a coach along the touch line with the subs when they were warming up, there was loads of stuff going on at half time and there was a guy helping those subbed off warm down properly

Not sure who instigated it, might be a case of me never noticing it before but either way it all looked incredibly professional, I'd even say borderline looked like we knew what we were doing

Gardener must be made of glass, injured again. We played better in 2nd half when all the kids came on. Richards should not be bullied into losing the ball by someone who looked about 9 stone ringing wet. Amavi is going to be class. He laughed when some of our lot started singing Allouette when he came off 

My observations:

- Sellars and Calder looked good out of the youngsters

- Amavi looked better on the ball and going forward than defensively, where he got turned a couple of times

- Gil played a couple of brilliant through balls, but lost the ball easily a couple of times by not being strong enough, once nearly led to a goal

Looking ahead Gueye, Grealish and maybe Kozak/Okore will improve us, however it is obvious we are a quality midfielder and quality striker light. At this moment in time our current squad would do well to stay up, important few weeks coming up for Sherwood and the club.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

tbf to gardner he took a good whack on his shin so its not surprising he went off 

amavi to me made reading the game look like he was reading a mr men book, knew how to draw the opponent in to misjudging the flight of the ball, could hold his position and then step forward or backwards timed to perfection to win the ball pretty much uncontested, there were a couple of times where he was outdone by some dancing feet but that was more a case of it being pre season and he didnt stick the boot in, think in a prem game those 2 aspects of his game will reverse, he'll be up against players who can also read the game but less likely to be done by a twinkle toed youngster

Â