• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

This poll is closed to new votes

I believed we would win today.

But I never really thought so.

But I expected us to turn up. After 15 years waiting for a cup final I wanted to celebrate a goal, but we were never even close.

Just gutted.

• Like 1

Well we all knew that was going to happen, wrong team selection one plan no back up and no brains anywhere on the pitch or bench. Richardson was the only bright ray on a day that the gunners only needed second gear to totally dominate a bunch of misfits and brainless footballers. Nzogbia was a waste of a villa shirt, okore lumbered around the box looking like an overweight telephone box that was out of order, if that is the future we are adrift on a sea of mud and no way out of the mire.The midfield was totally outclassed and made poor decisions all day. Tekkers missed gabby from the start and fell into the pocket of the german by poor tactics of only putting the highball into the box, we needed movement upfront on the ground and behind the defenders.  If you let arsenal play  they will win, the gungho has to be replaced by thinking football and not lottery tactics that win a few but is easy to overcome by better teams and brighter footballers.

• Like 3

Just got back. Totally dismantled by a team who are so far ahead of the likes of us it's painful. We didn't show up but I really don't think it would have mattered if we had. Trust us to have to face an Arsenal team who didn't flatter to deceive. 

Going to be an interesting summer I think

I'm pretty disgusted. Not with the Villa team or manager, but with most of the reactions on here. We were outplayed by a superior team who were on their game. It happens. I'm as disappointed as the rest of you, but some of the comments on here are pathetic. For **** 's sake grow up.

no shots on target in an FA Cup final

• Like 4

We didn't show up but I really don't think it would have mattered if we had.

It may not have mattered to the result (actually, I agree with you that I don't think it would either) but it would have mattered to the supporters who would have felt that we gave our best (or at least something that might resemble it).

I accept the result (and credit Arsenal with a very good performance - though they weren't tested much) but I don't accept our performance which was woeful.

A thousand times this.

I can take a loss. But today was pathetic.

• Like 3

Just got back.....totally gutted. Arsenal were immense, we never had a chance. Every one of their players was on fire and we just don't have equal quality to match. By early second half we knew it was over.

Not really going to blame the players, as whether you argue whether they, the villa players, turned up or not which'll be an ongoing debate we just couldn't compete so losing 1-0 or 4-0 still means we lost.

We need changes at our club if we are going to move up the table as our quality is not great, just better than relegation and potentially a few places higher but that's it. I really hope we can change that.....

Flew in from Sydney, paid OTT for tickets and now I'm sitting in my moms house after being spanked 4-0.....sometimes it's hard being a villa fan

• Like 1

Terrible all the players bottled it,didnt show no passion,need new owners and a complete whole squad or we are doomed next season,on a positive note im off to Lanzarote at 6am if this train ever gets back UTV

A poor performance from a poor team set up badly by a manager whose confidence in his "just get stuck in" style of football has seen us embarrassed by Southampton and embarrassed today.

Strange then that the same approach saw us put on such a commanding performance against Liverpool. How do you explain that if you think the manager is so poor?

I didn't say the manager was poor, I said the team was poor. Anyhoo, the simple answer to your question is that an approach that works against one team might not necessarily work against another, and - and stay with me here - Liverpool and Arsenal are different teams. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to football. Last week Burnley were prepared to score early and grind out a result. Chelsea just won the league by knowing when to turn on the class and when to win a scruffy one-nil. If Sherwood is going to remain inflexible in his approach then we're going to get beaten as soon as people figure that out, and we're going to get beaten a lot. He is, of course, still an inexperienced manager, so I hope he can learn from this.

Edited by Villanun

If playing Arsenal is so difficult how come Hull, Wigan and Reading all in recent times get extra time against them? Or is that too simplistic an argument. Would they say have battered Swansea or Sunderland 4-0 today when they didn't in the league a few weeks back?

If playing Arsenal is so difficult how come Hull, Wigan and Reading all in recent times get extra time against them? Or is that too simplistic an argument. Would they say have battered Swansea or Sunderland 4-0 today when they didn't in the league a few weeks back?

If Arsenal are on top of their game (which they most certainly were today) then they will comfortably beat most teams.

Obviously that doesn't change the fact that we were poor as well but we were thrashed both because we were shit and because Arsenal were very good.

• Like 1

I've had a few beers and I'm am international fan, nonetheless I love this club, despite the terrible performance today I'm proud that they made it this far, respect to the fans who were there and know that one day, it'll be the turn of AVFC. VILLA VILLA VILLA

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2

'It's Arsenal' could be an excuse for losing.

"It's Arsenal' isn't an excuse for one of the most woeful performances in recent years (no shots, corners etc)

• Like 2

You see, the thing is, we've had two goes at this in the last 58 years; one insipid in 2000 and today's tragic effort. Statistically, that means the likelihood is that come the next time Villa get into this position, I'll either be too old to go, or dead. That's a depressing thought when you've got a two and half hour coach trip ahead of you. There's nothing like extinguished hope to trigger thoughts of your own mortality, and I think it's likely I can now cross 'see Villa win a major trophy' off the things that are likely to happen before I die - as such, tonight I feel closer to the grave than I did this morning. In essence, if the question is "How has OBE taken cup final defeat?" the answer is probably "Not particularly well, he keeps talking about death".

Statistically I guess that's the case but that's two FA Cup finals we've been in in the last 15 years now - no reason why we can't go again within the next 15 years.

Just got back,

That was a shocker, right up there with the lowest i've felt after watching Villa.

I didn't expect us to win, but we didn't have a single moment throughout the 90 minutes to get excited about. And that's a bit heartbreaking to be honest. I can't ever recall seeing a match where there has literally not been a single moment to get excited about. Right from the first minute, until the last, nothing to even warrant a clap, save a couple of saves from Given. 

It's going to take the summer to forget and forgive this one.

• Like 1

Â