• Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

This poll is closed to new votes

Serious request : if you are a dark haired girl and you were at the match yesterday with your daughter who had claret and blue ribbons, and you were standing in front of me waiting for the train and you were wearing Fred Perry shoes and had a go at me for my shoes, please get in touch!

• Like 1

I honestly think if we ould of rode our luck till half time , who knows ? Maybe they would of got a little fustrated , but then maybe not . Just can't believe we did'nt turn up , thats what hurts most , because we're better than that , however good Arsenal were on the day .

Just got back . Have to say I thought our fans were fantastic in the pubs before and after the game . Terrible performance but a great day out . Personally I didn't see any trouble in the ground or outside .

• Like 1

Great to have a couple of months now where Villa cannot ruin my weekends and depress me on a regular basis. There was a time a few years ago when I hated the close season, couldn't wait for the fixture list to come out and got really excited on the first day of the season. Now I look forward to the close season, couldn't give a stuff about the new fixture list and look to be somewhere far away on the first day of the season. This owner and his succession of incompetent appointments have been killing it for me and yesterday just about put the finishing touches to it all.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 3

OK, I'm just home and want to give my thoughts on yesterday. I've not read any posts in this thread yet, so apologies if I make similar remarks to some that may have already been posted.

First off, I've got to say how flat everything was, before the game, in comparison to the Semi. I don't know if it was to do with a lot of the Arsenal fans being local, so not really drinking or being in and around Wembley pre match, but compared to the Liverpool match, there seemed a real lack of a buzz. Even the Villa fans were quieter. I don't know if this was down to the lack of Arsenal fans to buzz off, or the fact deep down we knew what was likely to happen? Inside the ground was a bit different, and our fans seemed well up for it pre match. Abide With Me brought a tear to my eye, and my heart really did swell at the sight of the claret and blue masses, in the West side of the ground (this was spoiled somewhat later on, which I'll go into later).

The game its self was just about as horrendous as you're going to get. Arsenal dominated from the off, and I thought we were probably lucky to go into the second half only 1-0 down. Sanchez goal was world class, and you can't argue at what a brilliant display it was from the whole Arsenal side. They really are a cracking side. I'm not sure who got MOTM, but I'd have given it Coquelin. He didn't put a foot wrong, and was the start of everything they did well. As for us, it was plain to see that they just weren't good enough. Some poor displays, and in all honesty, I hope that was the last game we see a lot of that team play for us.

Finally, I've got to say how disappointed I was to witness our own fans turning on each other. I saw grown men, arguing with and punching each other. Obviously the late kick off didn't help. With everyone tanked up, emotions were high. That's no excuse though. My cousin nearly go attacked, because he tried to calm a guy down, who was ranting and swearing at a guy who asked him to sit down, so his kid could see the match. Also the guy who was running our coaches apparently got knocked unconscious, when another Villa fan kicked him in the head. Absolutely ridiculous behaviour, and put a real downer on what turned out to be a pretty miserable day around.  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

day out, few beers,great vibe around the place,spirits high,,got in wembley.. singing,, spirits high, team sheet,songs,fireworks, then the team got spanked for the first minuite,

we sang,we hoped for a bit of luck but this squad of players were done after 25mins

3 nil down i turned around to see villa fans fighting villa fans.. stewards/police broke it up,,ejecting some fans

4 nil i felt num, i felt let down by the chairman,the filler has run out in sherwoods tool bag,the cracks are huge & this team need new players, 

Left just after the 3rd goal and there was more Arsenal fans on the tube than Villa

Seriously? Please tell me you're joking?

Nope, i had seen enough on the pitch to last me a lifetime, then to put the cherry on the cake it looked as if we had some blue on blue action in the near by 546-547 blocks.

OK, I'm just home and want to give my thoughts on yesterday. I've not read any posts in this thread yet, so apologies if I make similar remarks to some that may have already been posted.

First off, I've got to say how flat everything was, before the game, in comparison to the Semi. I don't know if it was to do with a lot of the Arsenal fans being local, so not really drinking or being in and around Wembley pre match, but compared to the Liverpool match, there seemed a real lack of a buzz. Even the Villa fans were quieter. I don't know if this was down to the lack of Arsenal fans to buzz off, or the fact deep down we knew what was likely to happen? Inside the ground was a bit different, and our fans seemed well up for it pre match. Abide With Me brought a tear to my eye, and my heart really did swell at the sight of the claret and blue masses, in the West side of the ground (this was spoiled somewhat later on, which I'll go into later).

The game its self was just about as horrendous as you're going to get. Arsenal dominated from the off, and I thought we were probably lucky to go into the second half only 1-0 down. Sanchez goal was world class, and you can't argue at what a brilliant display it was from the whole Arsenal side. They really are a cracking side. I'm not sure who got MOTM, but I'd have given it Coquelin. He didn't put a foot wrong, and was the start of everything they did well. As for us, it was plain to see that they just weren't good enough. Some poor displays, and in all honesty, I hope that was the last game we see a lot of that team play for us.

Finally, I've got to say how disappointed I was to witness our own fans turning on each other. I saw grown men, arguing with and punching each other. Obviously the late kick off didn't help. With everyone tanked up, emotions were high. That's no excuse though. My cousin nearly go attacked, because he tried to calm a guy down, who was ranting and swearing at a guy who asked him to sit down, so his kid could see the match. Also the guy who was running our coaches apparently got knocked unconscious, when another Villa fan kicked him in the head. Absolutely ridiculous behaviour, and put a real downer on what turned out to be a pretty miserable day around.  

I witnessed the latter incident too....very disappointing, not sure what sparked it off.

I'll put it in here again because I think it's worth discussion,

Is there really any point in supporting a club that isn't in the top 4?

There really isn't, and that's the problem.   It never used to be as big of a deal as the Premier League was a domestic affair and lots of fans would support their local teams regardless of how good or bad they were.  

In recent years the Premier League has expanded to serve a global market.  There are hundred of thousands of new fans with every passing season and as those fans have no connection with the cities each club plays in then they just tend to pick the teams who are the most successful.  If you live in North America, the Middle East or the Far East then why wouldn't you support a club who win every week? Why wouldn't you support a club who regularly qualify for the Champions League? They are on TV more often so you get to see them regularly, it makes total sense. 

Unfortunately for everybody else these new fans are putting measurable differences in audiences for games which sponsors will react to. Chelsea are going to get bigger sponsorship deals than Aston Villa because they sell more shirts, get bigger viewing figures for games when they are on TV and are on TV more often. This money pays the bills and locks down their place at the top of the tree.  FFP looks like it's losing some of it's teeth, but it's still a second layer of glazing to an already difficult to crack glass ceiling. 

You'd think people would get pissed off with only being there to make the numbers up, fans of clubs like Villa certainly do, but the money is so good in the Premier League even for the also rans that somebody is always going to be happy to be the guy who turns up to lose to Chelsea/Arsenal/Manchester City/Manchester United.  

The only pleasure I draw from the game now is the schadenfreude at Liverpool's expense because they are being screwed over by a system they helped create. 

• Like 1

I'll put it in here again because I think it's worth discussion,

Is there really any point in supporting a club that isn't in the top 4?

There really isn't, and that's the problem.   It never used to be as big of a deal as the Premier League was a domestic affair and lots of fans would support their local teams regardless of how good or bad they were.  

In recent years the Premier League has expanded to serve a global market.  There are hundred of thousands of new fans with every passing season and as those fans have no connection with the cities each club plays in then they just tend to pick the teams who are the most successful.  If you live in North America, the Middle East or the Far East then why wouldn't you support a club who win every week? Why wouldn't you support a club who regularly qualify for the Champions League? They are on TV more often so you get to see them regularly, it makes total sense. 

Unfortunately for everybody else these new fans are putting measurable differences in audiences for games which sponsors will react to. Chelsea are going to get bigger sponsorship deals than Aston Villa because they sell more shirts, get bigger viewing figures for games when they are on TV and are on TV more often. This money pays the bills and locks down their place at the top of the tree.  FFP looks like it's losing some of it's teeth, but it's still a second layer of glazing to an already difficult to crack glass ceiling. 

You'd think people would get pissed off with only being there to make the numbers up, fans of clubs like Villa certainly do, but the money is so good in the Premier League even for the also rans that somebody is always going to be happy to be the guy who turns up to lose to Chelsea/Arsenal/Manchester City/Manchester United.  

The only pleasure I draw from the game now is the schadenfreude at Liverpool's expense because they are being screwed over by a system they helped create. 

I don't really know how to answer the question, as I have always supported Villa, because I just have. It's a cliché, but I was chosen, rather than me choosing to support. It was a family and area I grew up thing. For those not like me, I suppose it depends what you're looking to get out of it. If you're looking for glory, then the top 4 is for you. If you're looking for something with a bit more substance, then you'd choose someone like us. If you were an absolute loon, then you'd support small heath.

not really sure why so many are down beat after the game - we were never likely to get anything but a beating from he game in all honesty.

Though i disagree with Sherwood playing such a strong team against Burnley, i actually thought that going out in the first half and trying to stifle Arsenal was the right move.

I personally feel Given should have saved the first goal.  Beaten at his near post by a very average shot with not a great amount of pace and at a very comfortable height.

Any keeper worth their salt would be very disappointed is not at least getting a palm to it.  Having said that he did make a number of good close range saves.

If we went in at 0-0 its a very different second half where the likes of Gabby and Sinclair could have been introduced into a game to a frustrated Arsenal who would have been forced to take more risks to win the game, leaving them open to pace on the counter - i like the plan.  The players let him down big time.

N'Zogbia was atrocious, Grealish was poor first half, Cleverly was abysmal, Westwood anonymous and Delph wasteful.  When your entire central midfield fails to turn up you know things are going to go badly.

All this talk about Sanchez's 'wonder strike' baffles me to be honest.  Yes, it was well struck and moved in the air, but if given doesn't take the step to his right as its being hit then he catches that easily.  I again feel the keep should have done better with that as it really wasn't all that far away from him.

Moving on to the third goal... well this is Sherwood's biggest tactical mistake - Benteke has no business being in our box defending, he has no defensive awareness whatsoever and was Arsenals biggest threat at set pieces as whoever he was making was going to get a free header.  But, i hate to drone on about Given, but a more commanding keeper would have claimed that cross before Per M had a chance to head it.  It's Shay's biggest weakness - always has been.  Which means after 70 minutes, with better keeping we still would have been level at 0-0.

That brings us to the referee, who i thought was very consistent and steady in the first half.  Second half he had a real stinker.  At full speed Gabby should have had a penalty, though replays will show it was a free kick.  However, Grealish was practically strangled to the ground in the area and i have no idea how the linesman nor the referee managed to award the penalty - criminal.  This would have actually put us 1-0 up (if not 2 had the gabby one been given) and that changes the closing moment of the game dramatically.  I'm not saying we deserved anything from the game, but i don't think we were all that dreadful, and with slightly better keeping and a better ref, we may have actually played an average game and been winning. 

I truly believe that 4-0 flatters Arsenal, they were good yes, but they really didn't deserve 4 goals.

A few things are clear to me though:

We need a goalkeeper urgently, the ones we have are either past it (Shay), out of form (Guzan) or not good enough (Steer, Siegriest).

Vlaar's number is up - he has been truly dreadful since the world cup and i pray he doesn't get a new contract.

I'd happily accept 32.5 million for Benteke.  I don't believe he's as good as he thinks he is. He clearly doesn't want to play for us, and i don't particularly like the guy.  Not  saying he isn't brilliant, cos he is.  But i think we could replace him with some to spare at 32.5m with someone perhaps not as good but who could score a lot of goals.

Delph, Grealish are really the only players in our squad who deserve to stay.  Though Delph wasn't great, most of his mistakes were due to the limitations of those around him and his over exuberance.  He will learn from this and become a better player for it.

If Sherwood stays he needs to bring in a lot of players and release a lot of deadwood.  Hopefully Lerner can either find a buyer or bring in a chairman who actually knows something about the sport.

But all in all i am encourage but what's happening at the club.  We got to an FA cup final.  Yes, we nearly got relegated, but this is the result of 4 years of mismanagement which is slowly being turned around by some forward thinking.

There is a glimmer of a bright future - time will tell whether its the start of an inferno, or an ember about to be snuffed out.  I live in hope.  UTV

• Like 3

I'll throw a spanner in the works... I slept on it and came to a conclusion that we weren't all that bad. We were simply toothless as we did not even get a chance.

Firstly , I will start with Arsenal's performance. This was the best footballing 90 minutes I have ever seen live by any team. I am confident that this kind of performance is Barcelona esque. Not a single misplaced pass, not a single bad touch. Perfection.

Which brings me on to our performance. We didn't have much problem with getting the ball in their half. In fact, we did so on numerous occasions. Arsenal did not leave us any space, and we did not know what to do with the ball. If we played any more defensively, Arsenal would have thrashed us waaaaay worse than they did. Hence, I will not blame Tim for the tactics.

He set the team up well. Played it a little safe with Hutton, which was understandable. Good call in my opinion. We just lost it in midfield... Delph was doing his fancy footwork, which would have worked 9/10 times in any other game. He did everything he does in every game. We love it in every game. But it just wasnt meant to be againts such a mighty opponent. 

Of course, we were put to shame. In fact, I heard a statistic that this was the only cup final since WW2 where a team did not get a shot on target. But I think to myself that if it was Reading we were up against, we would have all been drunk on Victoria square right now. I will not say that the score flattered them because they fully deserved even more. But maybe, just maybe, we deserved a little less of a beating. I think they would have won against anybody in the world if they played the way they did. 

I am not angry like most people on here, I am deeply sad that it was Arsenal, because there isn't a better footballing team in the country right now. 

Was it embarassing? Yes. Could I ask for more from the lads? I am not so sure...Yes, they could have kept it simpler on occassion, but it would add up to a much worse performance, and a lot of us (including myself!) would blame them for not having a go.

The better team won, simple as. Bring on next season.

• Like 2

Anyone know what happened to the lad that ended up in an air ambulance? Didn't look good when I walked past.

Unfortunately he fell from the bridge above, (touch wood) it appeared he was lucky that his head didn't hit the floor first or he most likely would have died instantly. I was actually one of many who phoned for an ambulance as was nearby as it happened, the sound was horrific, and the air ambulance rang back to confirm location etc which the police acted on brilliantly to clear the landing area so soon - credit to our services where it's due.

Me and my sister didn't know the man, but like many others who witnessed it were both pretty obviously affected and if anybody knows the guy would really like to know how he's doing - have been hoping/praying for the best as he appeared conscious, if not moving when they took him to the helicopter.

Villa fan or not, it really did put things sharply into context straight after the game - just hope he's still with us and able to make a decent recovery

Arsenal are a brilliant footballing side and it was always going to be a huge ask to win. But to not even have a single shot on target, a single chance or a single corner in an FA Cup Final - no matter who the opponent is - is pretty unforgivable whichever way you look at it. I think Sherwood got it wrong with the team selection against Burnley and again in the final - his subs too were like-for-like replacements and therefore pretty pointless. And as for the players, yes they did look utterly tired and were of course up against far superior opposition, but where was the passion and commitment? This was a one-off game and yet Arsenal not only showed us how to play football but they also won the vast majority of 50/50 challenges and the like.

In a few weeks we'll look back at the season overall and say we did all right - staying up was always the priority. But we were desperate to win another piece of silverware and the manner of the defeat is pretty hard to take. Arsenal, I think, had another 2 gears if they needed it. We were just woeful.

• Like 1

not really sure why so many are down beat after the game - we were never likely to get anything but a beating from he game in all honesty.

Though i disagree with Sherwood playing such a strong team against Burnley, i actually thought that going out in the first half and trying to stifle Arsenal was the right move.

I personally feel Given should have saved the first goal.  Beaten at his near post by a very average shot with not a great amount of pace and at a very comfortable height.

Any keeper worth their salt would be very disappointed is not at least getting a palm to it.  Having said that he did make a number of good close range saves.

If we went in at 0-0 its a very different second half where the likes of Gabby and Sinclair could have been introduced into a game to a frustrated Arsenal who would have been forced to take more risks to win the game, leaving them open to pace on the counter - i like the plan.  The players let him down big time.

N'Zogbia was atrocious, Grealish was poor first half, Cleverly was abysmal, Westwood anonymous and Delph wasteful.  When your entire central midfield fails to turn up you know things are going to go badly.

All this talk about Sanchez's 'wonder strike' baffles me to be honest.  Yes, it was well struck and moved in the air, but if given doesn't take the step to his right as its being hit then he catches that easily.  I again feel the keep should have done better with that as it really wasn't all that far away from him.

Moving on to the third goal... well this is Sherwood's biggest tactical mistake - Benteke has no business being in our box defending, he has no defensive awareness whatsoever and was Arsenals biggest threat at set pieces as whoever he was making was going to get a free header.  But, i hate to drone on about Given, but a more commanding keeper would have claimed that cross before Per M had a chance to head it.  It's Shay's biggest weakness - always has been.  Which means after 70 minutes, with better keeping we still would have been level at 0-0.

That brings us to the referee, who i thought was very consistent and steady in the first half.  Second half he had a real stinker.  At full speed Gabby should have had a penalty, though replays will show it was a free kick.  However, Grealish was practically strangled to the ground in the area and i have no idea how the linesman nor the referee managed to award the penalty - criminal.  This would have actually put us 1-0 up (if not 2 had the gabby one been given) and that changes the closing moment of the game dramatically.  I'm not saying we deserved anything from the game, but i don't think we were all that dreadful, and with slightly better keeping and a better ref, we may have actually played an average game and been winning. 

I truly believe that 4-0 flatters Arsenal, they were good yes, but they really didn't deserve 4 goals.

Some of this is just utter nonsense. How dare we expect anything other than a beating. Lowly little villa. Your breakdown of the game is truly baffling. You can't take incidents in isolation and then presume the game would have carried on as usual. It's just ridiculous. If you truly believed that 4-0 flattered Arsenal then you didn't watch it. 4-0 flattered us.

Not to mention that we should good a new keeper because 'Guzan is out of form'

Nightmare stuff.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I thought it was the correct result. We were simply outclassed by a vastly better team on every level, and as usual the ref favoured the bigger club. I thought Cleverly and particularly Zog had a pretty shitty attitude throughout though.

The Sanchez goal changed everything. We were in the game until that point. That's what you get when you pay 30mil odd for a player, nothing we'd know about tbf.

Â