• Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

This poll is closed to new votes

You see, the thing is, we've had two goes at this in the last 58 years; one insipid in 2000 and today's tragic effort. Statistically, that means the likelihood is that come the next time Villa get into this position, I'll either be too old to go, or dead. That's a depressing thought when you've got a two and half hour coach trip ahead of you. There's nothing like extinguished hope to trigger thoughts of your own mortality, and I think it's likely I can now cross 'see Villa win a major trophy' off the things that are likely to happen before I die - as such, tonight I feel closer to the grave than I did this morning. In essence, if the question is "How has OBE taken cup final defeat?" the answer is probably "Not particularly well, he keeps talking about death".

How about our last FA Cup final? Nothing to bet excited about then either

180 minutes of fa cup final football without a proper chance. Just wanted us to give it a go today.

Just got back,

That was a shocker, right up there with the lowest i've felt after watching Villa.

I didn't expect us to win, but we didn't have a single moment throughout the 90 minutes to get excited about. And that's a bit heartbreaking to be honest. I can't ever recall seeing a match where there has literally not been a single moment to get excited about. Right from the first minute, until the last, nothing to even warrant a clap, save a couple of saves from Given.

It's going to take the summer to forget and forgive this one.

Agree with all of that, the out worked bit is the main thing, unforgivable, it's the only shot we had, 2nd goal irked me, Sanchez wanted the ball more than Hutton, should never have let it bounce

I've seen other threads and comments saying we were loud personally I thought us fans were disappointing too, we were nervous, certainly not as good an atmosphere as the semi

I'm pretty disgusted. Not with the Villa team or manager, but with most of the reactions on here. We were outplayed by a superior team who were on their game. It happens. I'm as disappointed as the rest of you, but some of the comments on here are pathetic. For **** 's sake grow up.

Right on the money...

My eyes haven't seen the glory of the Villa win the cup

Seven times we've won it and since we've f ucked it up

We are the boys in Claret and Blue, we are fodder for the few

And the Villa go marching nowhere

Boring, Boring Aston Villa

And the Villa go marching nowhere

The pain continues. What a shite day!

For us to have any chance, we needed Arsenal to have a stinker (like Liverpool did in the semi) and we needed to play at our best (like we did in the semi). The opposite of those two things happened.

• Like 1

Well that's put a real downer on an already terrible season.

I guess we all knew in our worst moments that this Villa team were capable of putting a performance out that was so bad that Richardson at LB was our best player.

Really worried about where we go from here, maybe it's just my reaction so soon after a nightmare final but I now have real doubt about a manager who prefers CNZ over Gil. If he can't see that one is a useless lazy nothing player and the other has the ability to change a game then I'm worried the jobs too big for him.

Well done to Arsenal, as painful as it is to write that.

The silver lining is we are still a Premier League club, with a TV deal windfall coming, and perhaps a new owner with more money to spend on better players. We proved to all the people who wanted to see us relegated  that Villa are a proud club who do not surrender. We were outplayed by a better team yesterday, it's as simple as that. We don't have many big game players, their lineup is full of them. The occasion may have got to us. Certainly seemed like Grealish was playing tentative and Benteke had a bad day. The manager probably should have made wholesale changes at halftime, but didn't and the subs he did make were pointless. We came out nervous, Arsenal smelled blood and it was over the moment they scored their first. 

Very disappointing result, embarrassing that that's the Villa team that the entire world saw yesterday as we are capable of much better football than that. 

But for me, the big prize was always survival. We will be back next year with a stronger team, and try to progress in all competitions. 

I'm proud of the team for showing the fight and spirit to survive the relegation scrap and make it to the FA Cup Final. It was a mostly abysmal season, but they gave us some thrills too, so I'm gonna focus on those positives.

Arsenal were better than us, we lost. 

We will be back, and we will win it.

UTV Forever.

• Like 4

i admit arsenal were at the top of their game and we could not get near them BUT we were utter dross and never turned up. even if we had we would of probably got beat as arsenal were very good yesterday. really thought we was going to win.

I awake this morning dreary.

I will retain some wonderful quarter, semi, and pre-match final memories. Oh, and the flag and scarf. They can sit in my 'villa corner of despair' along with Bradford semi flag, etc.

• Like 1

Problem for the Villa is simple. We are a one trick pony  when it  comes  to our strikers.
It is made worse  for Benteke if your only tactic is to serve up crosses  that are out of Big Ben's range but perfect for Mertsacker and  co who had him in their pocket for the 93 minutes of the game.

It didn't help that our lads seemed  tired and listless and even moreso as the game dragged on.
With hindsight perhaps starting  with Bacuna  and  Gabby might have worked better. Who knows?

To survive next season we  HAVE to bring in at least 2 potent strikers plus midfielders who are capable of scoring goals . Until those  changes are made, we can expect more of the same and  the eventual trip to  the Championship.

I thought  that the only player who played  very well was Richardson. Given  made a  couple of good saves   but then also was caught out on a  couple more. Grealish kept  at it  and with some  quicker and  better movement  from  the players with him might have accomplished something.  Reality was though  that our creative spark was on a low  ebb  and they played  a solid  compact game  whose high line and through ball tactics  for us were spot on. All credit to the Arse, they are the better team and their  quality is undeniable.

As a long time Villa fan it will always annoy me that our old foe  still haunts us and these  days  we   simply are not in the  same league as they are . I   would love that to change.

I am however massively proud that we got to the  FA Cup Final and that the  lads  did not bow their heads. There is no shame being beaten  by a better team and today we  were.
Up the Villa !

Oh by the way for any  that doubt  this, today was a good example of  what   Aston Villa will look like without  Benteke  because in reality  today we  were.

It is  going to be an interesting   summer transfer  season. Let us see what Randy Lerner plans  to  do to solve our immediate problems.

Fans were magnificent, team were shite.

On sherwood, people have been saying he is a good motivator and not much else, well they didn't seem motivated yesterday and in terms of tactics and player selection he got that wrong too.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

Did anyone hear Sherwood say in his post match interview at he's already told some players that they won't be required next season. I m wondering when he chose to broke the news to those players and if anyone of them were starting for us yesterday - as that could explain just how vacant our players were...

...or we're simply not a match for Arsenal.

Did anyone hear Sherwood say in his post match interview at he's already told some players that they won't be required next season. I m wondering when he chose to broke the news to those players and if anyone of them were starting for us yesterday - as that could explain just how vacant our players were...

...or we're simply not a match for Arsenal.

I am sure that TS's revelations that if the buy out clause on Benteke's  contract is  triggered  he will be  gone   didn't do Big Ben's or the teams confidence much good. This was one game  where his presence was needed. Mind  you the tactic of  serving  up the ball to  Mertsacker;s head all the time didn't help either.

In the  dejected  state that all of  AVFC  are in after  that game it is difficult to read  between the lines of any  statements.

Reality is that  until Lerner clearly  announces  his real  plans & intentions for the  future of  AVFC  everyone  at  B6  is in limbo particularly TS .

• Like 1

Â