Pre Match Thread

maqroll

I view this differently to many , i'd go strong , we need to return to winning ways before the final

I'd do the same. 

We have gone the grand total of one league game without winning. Arsenal FWIW have gone longer in the league without winning.

Strong team and a win please. Need the morale boost.

I'd only rest Benteke and Grealish, maybe Cleverley since he seems to need it.

And put Guzan back in Tim, so that he can get a good game under his belt before the final.

Beating Burnley is not going to provide much of a morale boost as we should win anyway.

Losing to Burnley if we play a full strength team would damage morale. Losing to Burnely with a reserve team would be good for them, but not affect the first teamers in anyway.

Losing Benteke or Delph etc to injury when playing Burnley would be devastating.

I'd rather the U17's get a run out.

• Like 2

*cough* Forgot about this re- my previous team selection.  We'd actually be fine (as opposed to fined).

Clickings

Premier League set to loosen 'weakened teams' rule that hit Holloway

One of the most controversial rules in the Premier League handbook is set to be loosened from next season after clubs agreed not to enforce the "weakened teams" ruling as it stands.

Premier League rule E.20 states: "In every league match each participating club shall field a full-strength team." This regulation has led to several ructions in recent seasons. Ian Holloway and Mick McCarthy have faced disciplinary action for resting players with an eye on future fixtures.

McCarthy's Wolverhampton Wanderers received a suspended £25,000 fine after a second-string side lost 3-0 at Manchester United two seasons ago. When the first-choice XI returned for the next match they beat Burnley 2-0 and eventually stayed up by finishing eight points ahead of the Turf Moor club.

Holloway received a £25,000 fine after effecting 10 changes to his Blackpool first team three days before a match against West Ham United last November. In the event, Aston Villa won the game narrowly through an 89th-minute James Collins header. Blackpool and West Ham were both relegated.

Holloway had forthright views about the rule, saying at the time: "Who the hell are they to tell me my players are not good enough?"

Holloway's anger at the fine has led to the Premier League clubs re-examining the rule. At each post-season AGM clubs have specifically been asked about how this controversial regulation should be enforced but this year a majority have decided to relax its terms.

A spokesman for the Premier League confirmed: "The clubs voted at the last Premier League Annual General Meeting to modify the rule regarding clubs fielding full strength teams (E.20). From 2011/12 onwards the rule will allow any combination of players included in a club's 25-man squad list to be selected for a Premier League fixture.

"The 25-man squad rules do allow clubs to pick Under-21 players beyond those named in their squad list and, with this in mind, it was agreed by the clubs that it was appropriate for the rule to remain in place in order to ensure the integrity of the competition."

It seems the change of heart has resulted from a sense that the sanctioning of Holloway was unjust. At the time Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, said: "His team was not weak because they nearly made a good result. I have sympathy. It is a rule which may be looked at, especially if you limit the squad. I feel this rule should go."

Beating Burnley is not going to provide much of a morale boost as we should win anyway.

Losing to Burnley if we play a full strength team would damage morale. Losing to Burnely with a reserve team would be good for them, but not affect the first teamers in anyway.

Losing Benteke or Delph etc to injury when playing Burnley would be devastating.

Playing safe won't win us the cup in my opinion. We need to be at our absolute best, and to get there we need a win against Burnley. We are still fragile mentally unfortunately.

Playing safe won't win us the cup in my opinion. We need to be at our absolute best, and to get there we need a win against Burnley. We are still fragile mentally unfortunately.

I dont think so, despite our loss we are high in confidence. im confident arsenal wont have it as easy as they did in league games

The big team selection choice at Wembley will be N'Zogbia, Gabby or maybe even Sinclair - who will all be competing for one spot. I wonder if this game will be used as a way to judge that.

What about Gil?

giphy.gif