Pre Match Thread

maqroll

We don't want to go into the final having being thrashed by Southampton and failing to beat an already relegated Burnley. So for me this is a must win match, just to get things back on track and get some confidence back for the Arsenal game.

I'm sorry but it really isn't a must-win game. All we need is a good performance and no injuries.

We need to win as that's the object of the game.

Not that it was an excuse but there was an element of fatigue in today's performance. I'd go for a weakened team, the final is more importsnt than trying to gain a couple more places in the league. Also, it'll be nice to see a few of the fringe players perhaps give Sherwood something to think about:

Guzan | Hutton Senderos Baker Cissokho | Sánchez Delph | Robinson Grealish Gil | Gabby

No benteke? I certainly want to see him for what will probably be the last time

I'd rest Tekkers, or maybe bring him on late for a little tune up. I'd hate to have one of our key players get hurt during a game that means **** all!

We don't want to go into the final having being thrashed by Southampton and failing to beat an already relegated Burnley. So for me this is a must win match, just to get things back on track and get some confidence back for the Arsenal game.

I'm sorry but it really isn't a must-win game. All we need is a good performance and no injuries.

We need to win as that's the object of the game.

Obviously, but it isn't a must-win game in the same sense that say, West Ham and Everton were. Performance is more important.

Got the weekend off work and got my tickets, first game I've been able to go to in a while so looking forward to a Villa win regardless of what team is selected. Fingers crossed✌️

I definitely wouldn't be starting benteke. Too much of a risk of him getting even a minor knock. Out for even 4 days would ruin our preparation. Give Ian rush or robinson a go (assuming Robinson can play) and give a few other fringe players a shot at impressing.

I'd also start guzan next week, and in the final to be honest.

I'm really hoping Sherwood springs some surprises on us with the line-up.

Let's give some of our most important and influential players a rest, so they're firing on all cylinders in the final.

I'd go: Guzan, Cissokho, Baker, Senderos, Lowton at the back.

Gardner, Sanchez and... Cole? In midfield.

Gil, Gabby and.. Erm.. Sinclair upfront.

Then I'd bring Robinson on at some point.

(And hope Sherwood can get a decent performance and maybe a draw/win, from them).

I don't think us losing with a team of fringe players would even be that bad. Yes, it'd be a disappointing way to end a season, but everyone knows our season doesn't end here. Everyone will be thinking and talking about the FA Cup.

The first teamers will be thinking about it, knowing they've been rested for one of our biggest games for a while. The fringe players will be thinking that this game against Burnley will be their chance to impress Sherwood and nick a place in the team for the final (especially considering the Southampton result).

Whatever happens, I'm just going to enjoy the day. We're safe!

• Like 1

As we're officially safe - I would rather see our top players rested ahead of the Cup Final and give a chance for the fringe players to stake a claim for it too.

I'd also return Guzan to the No.1 slot.

I'd pick

....................Guzan

Hutton.Senderos.Baker.Cissokho

...........Gardner.Sanchez

Gil...............Cole..............Sinclair

...............Agbonlahor

Subs: Steer, Vlaar, Lowton, Kozak, Weimann, Robinson, Calder

Edited by theboyangel

I really hope we rotate the team as much as possible . . . in an ideal world, I'd want only Given to start from the last game. I know that won't happen, it never does, but it would be useful to see who's totally off the boil and who's challenging for a place. Also, avoiding injuries to the first XI is more important than winning the game. 

play guzan, cissokho, gil, senderos and a few youngsters in my eyes

rest okore, vlaar, tekkers, grealish, delph and cleverly

This is a meaningless game for us, our focus now is the fa cup

Would go with a front trio of Gabby-Gil-Sinclair.

Based on his two sub appearences, Gabby is in no shape to threaten Arsenal so needs a start under his belt and well if Sinclair and especially Gil can't get a start in a dead rubber game they might aswell not be here next season.

Think Senderos is worth a start aswell and maybe Baker if he can get a good week's training.

I'd certaintly rest most of our regular starting 11...yes we could lose momentum but it's not worth a pointless injury or red card imo and one's bound to pop up if we play the usual 11 especially with our injury record this season.

I would rest as many players as possible.

WIth burnley down and us safe it's a nothing game and will have no effect on other teams.

I guess after the southampton result sherwood might want a few to earn their final spot.