Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Nah - dead rubber.  Winning this shouldn't have any bearing on performance in a cup final - that should be enough in itself.  The important thing is to avoid injury and give a bit of a rest to the likes of Delph who've run themselves into the ground.  

This is a great chance to evaluate some of the squad players who've been seen as too much of a risk during the relegation run in (I'm looking at you Carles) and see if they can push for a place on the bench for the cup and/or show enough for next season.

Don't see any reason why we can't win as well.

Surely we'd get a further fine if we played a team like that? Considering Blackpool and Wolves did once.

No doubt, plus they've shown they like to come down hard on Villa. Maybe then throw a few more recognisable first teamers in there, but nothing that affects the cup final side.

The one thing that would be in our favour is that our match is a complete dead rubber. It influences nothing at the bottom or the top of the table irrespective of the result, so it could be reasonably argued that it in no way compromised the integrity of the competition to field a weakened side, and that it was appropriate given the upcoming cup final.

• Like 2

Surely we'd get a further fine if we played a team like that? Considering Blackpool and Wolves did once.

No doubt, plus they've shown they like to come down hard on Villa. Maybe then throw a few more recognisable first teamers in there, but nothing that affects the cup final side.

The one thing that would be in our favour is that our match is a complete dead rubber. It influences nothing at the bottom or the top of the table irrespective of the result, so it could be reasonably argued that it in no way compromised the integrity of the competition to field a weakened side, and that it was appropriate given the upcoming cup final.

This. Nobody would complain, because nobody would care. I'd put a few fringe players in and see if they can play themselves onto the Wembley bench.

I completely understand that. But surely the rules of the Premier League should exist for every game, not just when it suits everyone?

FWIW i think it's a stupid rule and the Premier League should have no say in what team you put out. But for the sake of consistency, which is a word the FA don't understand the meaning of, they should really fine us.

Oh well.

Given

Bacuna Vlaar Baker (Senderos if not fit) Richardson (Lowton if not fit)

Sanchez Westwood 

Gil Cole Sinclair

Gabby

Don't even let Benteke outside over the next week, wrap him in bubble wrap.

onOvptA.jpg

cfa4674512b98c5c1ec386ed32411c68.png

Absolutely no chance of a fine playing that team.  9 established PL players there.

Guzan Lowton Vlaar Senderos Hutton

Sanchez Delph Gil Sinclair Gabby Robinson

Some need fitness others just need game time. I'd take Delph off at about 60 min. I don't think Gardner can play as not in the 25 otherwise I'd rest Delph altogether. It'd be nice to have another couple of youth players on the bench for the last 20 aswell

Nah - dead rubber.  Winning this shouldn't have any bearing on performance in a cup final - that should be enough in itself.  The important thing is to avoid injury and give a bit of a rest to the likes of Delph who've run themselves into the ground.  

This is a great chance to evaluate some of the squad players who've been seen as too much of a risk during the relegation run in (I'm looking at you Carles) and see if they can push for a place on the bench for the cup and/or show enough for next season.

Don't see any reason why we can't win as well.

Well, you should know!

• Like 1

Hepburn-Murphy may have had a first team substitute appearances, but he's on the bench for the reserves - he's behind Robinson, Burke, Sellars and Green for a start I'd have thought.

I think he was on the bench for the u21s because he was being saved for this game but i could be wrong, he's definitely not behind burke in the pecking order in my opinion