The How to finish in the top 10 next season thread

VillaChris

We shouldn't be dreaming of finishing in the top ten.

:rolleyes:  :bang:

Have you not seen Everton and West Ham for half of this season? Both have those have been awful for 20 games this season and yet one of them will finish 10th next week.

When everyone's fit and playing well we can match West Ham certainly as the last two months results have provided but it's about putting the ground floor in place to support the foundations if you like which is what teams like Swansea and Stoke have.

I mean a team like Aston Villa should have higher ambitions than to finish in the top ten.

Keep Benteke, stop being one of the worst teams in the league for injuries and bring in a couple of reinforcements.

Stoke have had way more injuries than us though...Bojan out since January,...Victor Moses out since March....Shawcross had a 6 week spell out. They have a decent sized squad so have stable players to come in when those injuries happen.

I think we need better on the bench or at least shove a couple more existing players from the first 11 onto it so I wouldn't be getting rid of Gil for a start.

We shouldn't be dreaming of finishing in the top ten.

:rolleyes:  :bang:

Have you not seen Everton and West Ham for half of this season? Both have those have been awful for 20 games this season and yet one of them will finish 10th next week.

When everyone's fit and playing well we can match West Ham certainly as the last two months results have provided but it's about putting the ground floor in place to support the foundations if you like which is what teams like Swansea and Stoke have.

I mean a team like Aston Villa should have higher ambitions than to finish in the top ten.

Oh right....yes I agree but it's small steps isn't it?

A season or two finishing 9th or 10th would stop everyone fearing relegation and we could build towards challenging for the top 6 again.

If we're getting taken over this summer, we're not going to suddenly go from 4-5th bottom to challenging for the top 4. Even when Lerner took over his first season we still finish 11thh don't forget, that was the building season before we started finishing top 6 again.

• Like 1

Keep pretty much the whole squad together, bar some fringe players. Sell both keepers

New keeper

New left back

Tell Bacuna to be better

New attacking player

That should see us comfortable. I'm assuming all our signings will be good and all our current players will play as well as they have under Sherwood instead of Lambert.

Keep Benteke, stop being one of the worst teams in the league for injuries and bring in a couple of reinforcements.

This is an interesting one as the usual excuse is it's down to luck - but I think something can be done.

My NRL team this year had a change of manager and he could not believe the amount of injuries the squad had during the last tenure and put it down to poor training techniques and not enough emphasis on recovery after a match. 10 matches in on his reign so far and he does look to be having an affect on keeping players fit (as much as you can in such a physically demanding game).

Seeing as we had a lot of training ground injuries, this should be looked at. I have heard of "great intensity" in training since Sherwood took over and am hoping that was just for the relegation fight and not the norm. If we can keep our main players fit all season then I think we will finish top 10.

New centre half is a priority after signing Clev. Someone around 27-28 with decent experience. New left back, defensive mid, right sided forward.

Â