The How to finish in the top 10 next season thread

VillaChris

So West Ham lose next week and they'll probably end on 47 points but still 10th. This is a West Ham that's won what 2 games since December 20th or something ridiculous.

So I long for a season where nothing dramatic happens, we have plenty of good games, score lots of goals and finish 9th or 10th.

If we beat Burnley and finish on 41 the margin from where we finish to 10th might actually only be 6 or 7 points. This remember is a season where we couldn't score a goal in half our games and went on two long losing streaks.

What do we need apart from obviously keeping Benteke and having a takeover?

I think Sherwood's win or bust strategy will help us, we'll get the odd thumping every few months but we'll win plenty of games and teams like West Ham and Stoke certainly don't win every week but both have been very comfortable this season.

Edited by VillaChris

So West Ham lose next week and they'll probably end on 47 points but still 10th. This is a West Ham that's won what 2 games since December 20th or something ridiculous.

So I long for a season where nothing dramatic happens, we have plenty of good games, score lots of goals and finish 9th or 10th.

If we beat Burnley and finish on 41 the margin from where we finish to 10th might actually only be 6 or 7 points. This remember is a season where we couldn't score a goal in half our games and went on two long losing streaks.

What do we need apart from obviously keeping Benteke and having a takeover?

I think Sherwood's win or bust strategy will help us, we'll get the odd thumping every few months but we'll win plenty of games and teams like West Ham and Stoke certainly don't win every week but both have been very comfortable this season.

Most we can finish on is 41 btw.

Sorry yes edited that.

Also didn't realise Everton are now 10th. They should be with their squad but again a few weeks back they were level on points with us and have strung a few wins together and suddenly are top half.

Proper defensive coach, and work them double hours when they return from holiday. Okore and Bacuna are great athletes but need intensive coaching. New left back and replacement for Vlaar. Keep our biggest assets.

We shouldn't be dreaming of finishing in the top ten.

:rolleyes:  :bang:

Have you not seen Everton and West Ham for half of this season? Both have those have been awful for 20 games this season and yet one of them will finish 10th next week.

When everyone's fit and playing well we can match West Ham certainly as the last two months results have provided but it's about putting the ground floor in place to support the foundations if you like which is what teams like Swansea and Stoke have.

Aside from today, Sherwood is doing his best and in a short time has inject positvity and a winning mentality into the squad which was no mean feat the state we were in when he turned up. He deserves our support.

The ownership is up in the air, no idea what will happen there. If it's still Lerner I can only hope he fights tooth and nail to keep Benteke and gives Sherwood the 30m he seems to be demanding of any new ownership but I won't be holding my breath on that one.

Nothing. As it is, if we keep the same players and carry on playing as we have been since Sherwood's been here, we'll just about finish top 10.

Our greatest problems are:

Immobile defence - Vlaar and Okore aren't the most athletic players and got embarrassed by some very fit athletes today.

No full backs - Or very poor ones. Bacuna isn't a natural FB, Cisskho is hit and miss and has been injured for ages. Hutton flatters to deceive.

No decent strikers apart from Benteke - Gabby isn't really good enough for where we want to go. Neither is Weimann.

I think foreign defensive players are hit and miss so this is where we need to spend the most money. Other than that a highly regarded young striker, and then a lower league punt should be fine.

We do the above and we're challenging Spurs and Southampton for European places.

You just got to try and win football matches.

Everton and West Ham have actually only won 12/37 games this season so one will finish top 10 with less than 33% win ratio.

I can't believe with Sherwood as manager we will not make at least 12 wins next season. He has what 5 wins in 12 games?

• Like 1

We need a new defence really, possibly to include a keeper. Keep Benteke and Cleverley vital too.

Midfield, as it is, is fine. Strikers/ attacking players we are ok for, one more might be nice.

But defence;

Vlaar - past it, bad all season

Okore - inexperienced, struggles regularly

Senderos - broken

Baker - made of glass

Clark - unreliable but played ok

Lowton/ Bacuna/ Richardson - despite other qualities, poor defenders

Hutton - more chance of red cards than successful tackles

Given too weak, Guzan fragile confidence but might be ok.

Before today, Spurs had actually conceded more league goals than us which suprised me.

I think there's a lot to be said for this scoring lots of goals approach as they'll be plenty of teams we can outscore next season in the league so above all keeping Benteke is paramount imo.

Â