Weekends football/Midweek football Premier League 16/17 & 20 May

andykeenan

CFOJa_fWYAI7XvJ.jpg

It's a funny one, because Phil jones comes across as a gurning retard who once played in a charity game at old Trafford and no one seems to have the heart to tell him it's time to leave he'll have the piss taken out of him for ages for this

But it was a brilliant bit of defending, with a proper touch giroud was through, he headed it on to giroud a shin and out for a goal kick

He has no positional awareness at all. Last ditch defending is more often than not caused by a defender's error. People see Jones or John Terry before him throw himself all over the place and call it great or brave defending. The best defenders rarely get caught out of position. I don't think there are many around who are of that quality. Pique springs to mind- the only time I see him lunge about is when he has to cover for the fullbacks or when it's absolutely necessary. Rio Ferdinand was similar and at his peak was a considerably better defender than Terry imo.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

any defender who always rely on last ditch tackles or blocks are poor for me, Jamie Carragher was always the worst for me but then it seems like its what you need to impress the "experts"

I remember the shock and confusion from them a few years back when Alex Ferguson said that he was so good that he never saw Maldini make a tackle

Alex Ferguson said that he was so good that he never saw Maldini make a tackle

I was going to make this point.

The great defenders don't need to make loads of tackles.

That Loftus-Cheek really dosn't know look that good...Just stands there and then passes sideways or backwards.

Insanely harsh. He simply needs to grow into the role, probably intimidated by his teammates.

It's not like he's been hyped up as a superstar either.

Yes he hasn't done much. Should  Fabregas really have got a red. I don't know what the laws are but he just seemed to kick the ball in that direction without any force. Stupid but for me a yellow. 

Didn't he have a 100% pass rate last week? Get somewhere in the 90s tonight, start there, grow in to the role and start expressing yourself later, first priority should always be keep the ball, especially when you have the likes of fabregas and hazard in your team, let them do the flash stuff

When I 1st saw about the red card I assumed he'd blasted it from close range, pinged it at him from 20 yards away, as fergie once said "could have killed him"

Edited by villa4europe

Didn't he have a 100% pass rate last week? Get somewhere in the 90s tonight, start there, grow in to the role and start expressing yourself later, first priority should always be keep the ball, especially when you have the likes of fabregas and hazard in your team, let them do the flash stuff

When I 1st saw about the red card I assumed he'd blasted it from close range, pinged it at him from 20 yards away, as fergie once said "could have killed him"

Yeh but 70% of them passes were to Zouma.

Like I said the rest will come as he gets more game time, 1st thing you should do is keep the ball and gain confidence

Similar argument with Delph when he plays for England "he doesn't do anything" what he does is keep the ball and pass it round, half the battle, in the last game he got a bit excited and started some ambitious passes that didn't work and got slated for that too

Â