Witcher 3

lapal_fan

Can't wait for this but I'm already overwhelmed by the thought that it's 20% bigger than Skyrim.

Never played that either, is it big? Like GTA5 big?

The Witcher 3 is colossal and that is because it doesn't do western RPG like other games, in other games they are split into two distinct categories main quests and side quests, the main quests you have to do but the side quests are pointless in the grand scheme of things besides XP and a little time waster. In The Witcher 3 it still has main quests and side quests, but the line between them is blurred. In The Witcher 3 side quests can be as important as the main quests as things you do or don't do in them affects the main story, affects characters and the world around you. For example if you find a traveler in the woods and accept their quest, they may for better or worse appear in the main story later down the line, if you say no, that quest is gone for good as that character will carry on without you and attempt to do that quest themselves. What this does is takes a game that is probably 80 hours long if you just do the main quests, and turns it into something 200 hours long because the line between main quest and side quest is blurred so much everything takes on the same importance.   

Edited by Daweii

Sort of interested in this. need a new game to get stuck into.

Then I read this

The game also features a dynamic beard growth system

and I was sold.

• Like 3

Then I read this

and I was sold.

It's also quite a draw for the consumer that there will be 16 free DLC 'packages', regardless of platform, or whether you pre-ordered or not.

One of the first DLC packages is hair and beards, which actually disables the beard growth, so watch out for that if you pick a new beard style.

There is still a paid for expanstion pass, though, for 2 larger scale DLCs which add approx 30 hours of gameplay according to the dev.

Edited by hogso

I absolutely loved the story in Witcher 2, it was a fairly mature and complex storyline and I genuinely cared about the characters and decisions I made. A part of me is actually a little concerned that the world is so open now because I don't want that feeling of being bogged down so much with a million quests because when there's so many areas to explore and so many side quests you tend to lose focus on the actual point of the game and it becomes a bit of a chore of collecting pointless things. I think people see linearity as a negative thing but it's not at all, it just depends on the type of game it is and what it's trying to achieve.

That said, I still can't wait to get into it. It's certainly a series with its own identity and style and stands out above the majority of similar games of the genre. There's a very deep system of upgrading mechanics, combat decisions and role playing and sure it will be a game to talk about for many, many months.

I think I might just go by my plan of picking games up a year later for £3.74 on a Steam sale. I'd have to buy it on my PS4 now as I haven't built a PC yet and I prefer to play games like this on a PC. Skyrim on my Laptop was streets ahead of the 360 version I had.

I still have Fallout 3 & NV to start too so they will tie me over.

I think I might just go by my plan of picking games up a year later for £3.74 on a Steam sale. I'd have to buy it on my PS4 now as I haven't built a PC yet and I prefer to play games like this on a PC. Skyrim on my Laptop was streets ahead of the 360 version I had.

I still have Fallout 3 & NV to start too so they will tie me over.

You lucky git.

Then I read this

and I was sold.

It's the newly develop 'Mellberg engine'.

Just pre ordered mine. Couldn't find Neil, looked everywhere.

• Like 1

Only played a couple of hours so far and i'm pretty much hooked already.

Everything so far is impressive, the world itself which is dripping with atmosphere and the characters that inhabit it are all superb.

They've sorted out the clunky combat, and the spell system seems to be much more fluid. 

I'm just taking in the sights at the moment and doing a few quests here and there, all of which have been interesting and have some sort of decent backstory.

If I had to make a lazy comparison I would say Red Dead Redemption crossed with Skyrim.

Don't mean to sound like a graphics whore but how are the graphics? As good as the reveal stuff? I've read that they have had a bit of a downgrade but are still bloody good.

Don't mean to sound like a graphics whore but how are the graphics? As good as the reveal stuff? I've read that they have had a bit of a downgrade but are still bloody good.

The graphics are excellent, some of the areas look absolutely stunning and I haven't had a single bit of slowdown even with multiple enemies on the screen.

Going to wait for Zero Punctuation's review before I think of buying this. He's never been a fan of the franchise so if he gives it an OK critique then it should be very good.

I love the Yahtzee reviews but I would never, ever buy a game based on one of them.

[hyperbole] played around 15 hours now and it's comfortably the best game of this generation and one of the best RPG's I've ever played [/hyperbole]

• Like 1

Â