Witcher 3

lapal_fan

I can't get to grips with the items, potions, alchemy, weapons & equipment side of the game at all. The menus make no sense to me, its to overwhelming and the tiny text means that if I could make sense of it then I'd still have no idea what I'm doing.

All that plus the janky movement and crap water effects still hardly make a dent in my overall enjoyment of the game. Its amazing.

It's been a while since i've dropped so many hours into a single game, but i've done 50+ already on this.

I think 49 of those have been collecting flowers too :D

Joking aside, I stand by my initial thoughts that it's the best game of this gen by a country mile.

Oh, and I want a Godling!

Quick question, am I going to be able to enjoy this /understand what's going on without having played the previous 2?

I would just play them before anyway but my laptops graphics card isn't really good enough.

Can't comment on this one yet, but I played the second one without playing the first one and had no problems.

I can't get to grips with the items, potions, alchemy, weapons & equipment side of the game at all. The menus make no sense to me, its to overwhelming and the tiny text means that if I could make sense of it then I'd still have no idea what I'm doing.

All that plus the janky movement and crap water effects still hardly make a dent in my overall enjoyment of the game. Its amazing.

I thought that at first too. Keep playing, it will just come.

im with ingram, the items side of it hasnt clicked for me yet and agree with what others have said the ridiculous text size doesnt help, have started to go item hunting though as part of the side quests which has levelled me up a bit, also got in to the habit of meditating to heal myself

there are a few flaws in it, the text thing hopefully fixable, swimming is a bit shit and the damage from falling is ridiculous but its a great game, that said ive got a fight with a griffin tonight so i might be back grumbling tomorrow

Got this based on the VT hype. It's incredible and I can't normally play RPG's.

It's Fable multiplied by 1000.

I did stumble upon a side quest last night by accident just wandering about. When it came to fighting the boss I couldn't touch it. No attack was doing any damage.

An hour later I give up thinking it must have glitched and reload an earlier save.

Look up the quest again 'suggested level 34'. 

Whoops!

I've spent hours just looking for treasure and looting. Amazing.

Although the formula of the game hasn't been messed with, I honestly never thought it would be this good. This game is absolutely remarkable. Arriving at Oxenfurt in the sunset, I was completely blown away by how beautiful the town was; the narrow streets and attention to detail in and around the shipyard. I haven't felt so compelled about a story in such a long time. It's a genuine masterpiece. 

• Like 2

Was a bit underwhelmed after I fought the Griffin, but just had to search for a Werewolf that was recommended level 7 and I am level 3. Got no where near beating it but now I'm hooked and I'm going to level up and beat that bastard!

I'm not sure theres anything that really makes a good comparison with it. The temptation (and I might have even done this myself) is to say it's Red Dead Redemption crossed with Skyrim. But it's not really. Theres elements, sure, but that won't really give you a good impression of it.

It's a series of (very large) open areas, which exist in a connected wider world, that you traverse on horseback (if you want) doing some traditional RPG questing. You visit different places, be they random points of interest in the wilderness or one of the many settlements (including whole and sizeable cities) in the area and pick up a variety of quests  (save this guy, kill this thing, etc etc), you do the usual RPG loot and craft and upgrade...

The combat is on the surface very basic but opens out. You have two swords, one for men and beasts, one for monsters and ghouls, a light and heavy attack, 5 basic spells (a shield, a trap, a force push, fire, confusion), and secondary weapons like grenades and crossbows. You can also buff yourself with potions (improve stamina regen etc) and oil for your swords (spectre oil for ghosts etc). On higher difficulty levels the game rewards preparation above all else, and even on lower levels the game will punish you for rushing or trying to blunt force your way through things.

It's all wrapped around some very well written plot lines and it's all well acted and designed, often quite beautiful. The world is a slightly more realistic take on a medieval environment with fantastical creatures and abilities in it, often with a slight darker take on the usual fantasy tropes - the game is based on a series of Polish fantasy novels that have weaved the traditional Western fantasy furniture with Eastern European folklore, leading to some quite grim twists and turns. Some of the creatures, for instance, have quite horrible origins.

It's not flawless (it's buggy, for a start, more being found all the time), but it's certainly in GOTY territory, and stakes an early claim for game of the generation, imo, and I'm not that far into it. By all accounts its a pretty massive game.

• Like 2

Just finished it, did about 78% of everything in the game and my final playtime was 5 days 12 hours :lol:

Wow! I dread to think how much longer it will take me to finish. Absolutely loving it though.

Â