Witcher 3

lapal_fan

Performs really, really well on my medium range PC and looks great. Far better than DA:I does. Only a few hours in and can already tell it's going to be one of the best games of the last 5 years or so.   

Well put my first 4 hours into this and I'm pretty much hooked. I think this is going to be a true epic.

My only gripe is using the 'x' button to do things. It is often unresponsive and so I'll press it twice and Geralt will start running.

Now I am going to sound like a graphics whore :)

Been reading the digital foundary article on this and I can't wait to get it, im off to merry hill in a bit to pick it up.

I've always championed cdpr as the honest good guys of developers and while they are still in that category this whole 'downgrade' thing has watered that feeling down a little. Only a little though.

It seems a lot has changed from what they have marketed to us and what is the final game. Lighting, colour palette, effects etc... Just look at the water.

They don't say downgrade, they say optimisation. Which is true to a certain degree I guess but I just wish they had been more upfront about it from the start, it's obviously a fantastic game that still looks rather beautiful but it's not the really beautiful game we have been watching in trailers as recent as a few months ago.

I think the initial trailers were made in expectation of the new consoles being more powerful than they ended up being and obviously cdpr had to scale back accordingly.

I guess I'm finding this more important than I should because of cdpr's consumer centric track history with honesty and transparency.

Still, always interesting to read this stuff I think as it gives more insight into how things work I suppose. Not bashing, as I said I'm off to get it in a bit, just thought I'd share it as I thought it was interesting. A tiny bit deflating, but interesting none the less.

Edited by Ingram85

When you reach the second main area (Velen) the game really opens up.

Without spoiling anything, a couple of the side quests have had me grinning like an idiot at how brilliantly written their storylines are.

And that's one of the many standout things that i've noticed throughout the game so far, all of the quests (whether main or not) have rich back stories that mean you get more emotionally involved when playing them. I haven't felt the urge to skip a single piece of dialogue and have even been reading though the books that are scattered around the world.

From a world-building point of view, it really is top notch.

Ok, y'know what, cdpr just get consumers don't they :) . Just got back and unwrapped it to find stickers, a soundtrack CD, compendium guide, a beautiful map and a thank you note from cdpr. That's just the standard edition too!

I feel dirty now for even doubting cdpr 1%, if they did downgrade then it must have been essential to do so we can play and enjoy it properly. I'm sorry cdpr.

They shouldn't have released such nice trailers of what they thought it would look like or so close to release but I can forgive :P

Now to get stuck in!

• Like 1

Well even this downgraded console version is really rather beautiful :P

Only issue I'm having so far is with the tiny tiny text. Its like dead rising on the 360 all over again. Seriously, I can't bloody read anything in the menus and picking up loot is a lottery :P

Enjoying it very much so far though, can see I'm gonna get hooked like I was in skyrim. Hopefully this will scratch the itch that the disjointed collectathon DA:I failed to.

Edited by Ingram85

Controls taking a little getting used to and it has the same finicky registering of picking up loot I found Dragon Age Inquisition to have, and have to agree with Ingram that the text is too small in many cases. Not unreadable at the distance I play at but still a strain.

Otherwise, with an hour or so in the clock... All the elements are there for this to be an absolute copper bottom classic. The Red Dead Redemption feeling is definitely there. At first I thought it was just the horse riding but there's that intangible feeling of exploration and beauty to the landscape that RDR had in spades the moment you get going proper.

Genuinely exciting to have it all there ready to open up in getting of me in the coming days.

• Like 4

Geralt has a ridiculous amount of charm for a moody protagonist too. An unbelievably great character in the gaming world.

Yeah, I agree he comes across as a great character, sounds like Solid Snake though. That said, I think they could've done better with his face model - everybody in the game looks incredibly realistic whereas Geralt looks like he could do with some extra details.

I'm not far enough into this version yet  to really get into his character but if you haven't played Witcher 2, you just spend the whole game really discovering his personality and history and really, really wanting him to get justice for what's happened. Just a really powerful character. 

Edited by nobler

Only thing i am disappointed in is that they made it sound like it was open world in a Skyrim sense not area's like Dragon age.

Though tbh the area's are almost the same size as skyrim :lol: especially Velen.

Â