Witcher 3

lapal_fan

Has anyone picked up the physical Gwent decks with the special editions? I'd really like to own them but missed the boat. Would have to shell out a fair bit on eBay for them now. 

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I just don't like it. I avoid playing it in the game entirely. I never bothered to collect the cards and thusly never win, and I can't be bothered with the game shoehorning it into the stuff I actually want to do. Thankfully so far, apart from the specific Gwent quests, which I've ignored, every time the game raises playing it you can either wholesale refuse or losing doesn't seem important.

You're missing out.

It's a whole game in itself!

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I just don't like it. I avoid playing it in the game entirely. I never bothered to collect the cards and thusly never win, and I can't be bothered with the game shoehorning it into the stuff I actually want to do. Thankfully so far, apart from the specific Gwent quests, which I've ignored, every time the game raises playing it you can either wholesale refuse or losing doesn't seem important.

But, but, it's awesome!  Go on, have some Gwent, don't worry, it won't become addictive...

I love the Gwent story lines, and the big tournament was excellent.  The only "mini game" I'm not a huge fan of is the horse racing, as the horse mechanics and controls are a bit iffy, and sometimes I'll lose because of it, which is annoying.

I found the horse racing annoyingly easy. 

Just hammer sprint until your horse is almost knackered, wait about 3 seconds for his stamina to completely refill and repeat.

And if anyone did try to overtake you in those 3 seconds you could usually just steer infront of them and they wouldn't get past.

The horse mechanics are poor though. The holding X to keep your horse following whatever path you're on worked perfectly on RDR. On this your horse just randomly runs off the path at times for no reason.

2 hours ago, nobler said:

I still think the best horse mechanics to date are in Shadow of the Colossus.

I take it you didn't play Barbie Horse Adventures. 

Toussaint is my new favourite area.  I liked Skellige, but the fancy dan knights and the French feel of Toussaint are brilliant.  Great sense of humour about it too, and it feels a bit of a relief from the rest of the areas, which were great but a bit dour.

First broken mission this morning. Theres a side mission where you seemingly can break the scripting by finding something before you're supposed to which means the mission won't progress. A shame as it seems like a cool mission.

On 4 June 2016 at 13:30, Chindie said:

First broken mission this morning. Theres a side mission where you seemingly can break the scripting by finding something before you're supposed to which means the mission won't progress. A shame as it seems like a cool mission.

Which one is that Chindie?

This game, and the expansion is awesome. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't started on the main quest line yet.  I've cleaned up on Gwent, won the tournament and got every Skellige deck card. Also got all of the L40 Witcher patterns.

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

Which one is that Chindie?

This game, and the expansion is awesome. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't started on the main quest line yet.  I've cleaned up on Gwent, won the tournament and got every Skellige deck card. Also got all of the L40 Witcher patterns.

The mission is called Equine Phantoms.

I was wrong that I was being able to discover something early, it seems the scripting for the mission just breaks very easily. Another character is supposed to help you find something which progresses the mission, but for some reason the character didn't do anything so it was impossible to proceed. A reload sorted it however, thankfully.

I've now got all the grandmaster diagrams, and have crafted all bar the Feline ones, have cleared up all the ?s on the map, now just working my way through the side missions. It's a really good slice of extra content. Only real criticism is a number of the new enemies can be irritating to fight and they're scraping the barrel with the pop culture references.

Another bugged quest, Mutual of Beauclairs Wild Kingdom. I'm unable to progress as I'm unable to investigate anything at the camp to discover more about the second victim. This time I don't seem able to get around the problem.

If this game has a genuine problem, it's far too buggy.

I have been recommended this game by a work colleague, and have been eyeing up purchasing it now for quite a few months. Today i took the plunge and I ordered it from Zavvi for £24 less 10% discount, so with a bit of luck with the post should hopefully receive it before the weekend. Looking back through the last few pages of this thread, the references do not mean much to me at the moment as I have not played any of the series before. I guess all will become clear once I get the game and start playing.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

The mission is called Equine Phantoms.

I was wrong that I was being able to discover something early, it seems the scripting for the mission just breaks very easily. Another character is supposed to help you find something which progresses the mission, but for some reason the character didn't do anything so it was impossible to proceed. A reload sorted it however, thankfully.

I've now got all the grandmaster diagrams, and have crafted all bar the Feline ones, have cleared up all the ?s on the map, now just working my way through the side missions. It's a really good slice of extra content. Only real criticism is a number of the new enemies can be irritating to fight and they're scraping the barrel with the pop culture references.

Agree about some of the new enemies.  Not a fan of the triffid-like plants, or the giant centipedes, but these are very minor criticisms in what overall so far is a glorious expansion.  The other thing I will criticise though, is the slowness of the menu system.  It's absolutely unacceptably slow, and a real ball ache when you have to scroll through lots of options.

I'd also criticise the menu speed. It's dreadful. The new layout is good but it's pushed the speed of jumping through menus back beyond where it started , which was bad already.

The triffids are incredibly irritating to fight. The spit is like a sniper and takes out Quen in one hit, the pods they spawn hit hard, and fighting 2 quickly turns into a series of hit and runs. And particularly annoyingly , a number of side quests involve killing them. Including a long running linked series of quests which, if you're not jumping about quests, means you'll spend an hour fighting the **** things back to back. The centipedes can be annoying if they won't spit, but they're completely undone by Yrden.

The other bugged quest mentioned can be completed by effectively ignoring the immediate task and jumping ahead to the end of the quest, it turns out.

Also, the Grandmaster swords aren't necessarily the best swords in the game. Which is annoying given how expensive forging them can be.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'd also criticise the menu speed. It's dreadful. The new layout is good but it's pushed the speed of jumping through menus back beyond where it started , which was bad already.

The triffids are incredibly irritating to fight. The spit is like a sniper and takes out Quen in one hit, the pods they spawn hit hard, and fighting 2 quickly turns into a series of hit and runs. And particularly annoyingly , a number of side quests involve killing them. Including a long running linked series of quests which, if you're not jumping about quests, means you'll spend an hour fighting the **** things back to back. The centipedes can be annoying if they won't spit, but they're completely undone by Yrden.

The other bugged quest mentioned can be completed by effectively ignoring the immediate task and jumping ahead to the end of the quest, it turns out.

Also, the Grandmaster swords aren't necessarily the best swords in the game. Which is annoying given how expensive forging them can be.

They're stupidly expensive to craft, aren't they?  Also, the one I wanted, Griffin, I had to go all the way back and get the L20 enhanced one, which somehow I'd missed in the first play through, in order that I could get all of the upgraded ones.

I like the armor dye though.  In advance of crafting all of the Grandmaster stuff, I've still got the L39 Viper Witcher gear, and it looks brilliant in different colours.

Â