Witcher 3

lapal_fan

The only thing you can lose is if you bet on it, just bet the bare minimum until you've got the hang of it and grabbed everyones cards. (spies and medics are good apparently)

8 hours ago, DK82 said:

What other benefits are there to Gwent? Do I lose a lot if I lose often, if that makes sense?

No. You lose what you bet, if you're playing a game where you bet. But that's 50 at most, which once you've played for more than a few hours is nothing. And you choose what you bet anyway so it's entirely dependant on you. You can bet 5 if you think you'll lose (although once you've played for a while, you should be beating pretty much everyone who you play for a wager rather than as part of a quest)

It's an incredibly addictive game, and if you want to complete the every gwent card objective, you'll need to gwent with pretty much everyone who will play you.

Edited by Stevo985

The only thing you can lose is if you bet on it, just bet the bare minimum until you've got the hang of it and grabbed everyones cards. (spies and medics are good apparently)

Spies are ace, you can use the first round to build up your deck, a spy gives you 2 more cards, I think the first spy card you get might be a 9 so yeah it adds 9 to them but 2 more cards to you, if you lose the first round but have more cards than they do more often than not you'll go on to win, the key is to keep them ticking over

Medics let you bring back a dead card, so if you have the back archer who has a value of 10, use him first round, second round use the medic to bring him back and use him again

The other good card to look out for is the bloke who can scorch their front line if it gets over a certain number, I had a lot of trouble with the monster and the elvish like cards where they have the power to add their mates (like I said more cards wins the game) save him, let them build the front line up, then play him and it'll scorch the lot

Yes, spies are the best. The spy with a score of zero is my favourite card.

Agree that the scorch is best against the monster deck. Love seeing them build up a huge line of cards of the same score and then just scorching the lot of them :D

Basic gwent tactic for me is to lose the first round whilst making the CPU play as many cards as possible without hurting your own deck too much. If you have a few shitty infantry or something then just play them and let the CPU play his big cards trying to win. If you have spies then use them in that round, or use your decoys to claim his spies if he plays them early.

Then more than likely you'll be able to play the next two rounds with more cards than him.

Obviously if he gives you an obvious chance to win the first round then take it, but I don't ever really TRY to win the first round.

Also, a clear weather card (or the leader with the clear weather ability) is often a game winner.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Basic gwent tactic for me is to lose the first round whilst making the CPU play as many cards as possible without hurting your own deck too much. If you have a few shitty infantry or something then just play them and let the CPU play his big cards trying to win. If you have spies then use them in that round, or use your decoys to claim his spies if he plays them early.

Then more than likely you'll be able to play the next two rounds with more cards than him.

Obviously if he gives you an obvious chance to win the first round then take it, but I don't ever really TRY to win the first round.

Also, a clear weather card (or the leader with the clear weather ability) is often a game winner.

Gwent's the best bit, in what is still an absolutely brilliant game.  Once you've got all the spy and medic cards that are available it's basically impossible to lose

• 3 weeks later...

Blood and Wine reviews are out and it's brilliant it seems. Have seen a suggestion that is good enough that the reviewer wouldn't have begrudged paying full whack for it as opposed to it being 'just' a DLC.

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Blood and Wine reviews are out and it's brilliant it seems. Have seen a suggestion that is good enough that the reviewer wouldn't have begrudged paying full whack for it as opposed to it being 'just' a DLC.

Awesome, when's it out?  Can't wait to get back into this, and had geared up ready for it.  I bought the last DLC was really good as well.  Game of the last 12 months or so for me, just shading it over MGS, which loses points for the second half and the rip off micro transactions.

Edited by Risso

Blood and Wine is now live, loading times are as quick as ever :rolleyes:

Menu has been revamped, very pretty and a lot easier to find things.

I'm on L10 and just doing stuff around Novigrad with Triss.

Playing lots of Gwent.

I upgraded my fast & slow attacks by 5 points each, added 500 to Health, and improved the dialogue skill by 1.

what else is good to upgrade?

Â