Witcher 3

lapal_fan

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded the 2 DLC's a few weeks back, I'm about half way through the first and hopefully soon I will be starting blood and wine, looking forward to it!

Sad state of affairs that the release schedule is so sparse at the minute I'm forced to go back to a year old game for my entertainment.

Edited by AVFCDAN

• 4 weeks later...

Started playing this at the weekend. I tried when it first came out but couldn't get into it but gave it another go as I'm sure I was missing something.

Persevered and I'm enjoying it now, though the controls are a bit sucky and the combat system doesn't feel very weighty, but considering the only 3rd person sword game I've played consistently in the last few years is Dark Souls maybe it's an unfair comparison.

Either way, finished in White Orchard tonight thinking it was a decent sized area but needed to be bigger. Then I step into Velen... Jeezum Crowe it's no wonder this game can take 300 hours, the size of it! Managed to piss off (and slaughter) a bunch of soldiers after being in Velen all of five minutes. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me...

• Like 2

I completed this a week or so ago, awesome and immense game game with a well told story. I struggled at first with the controls as well, but as the game wore on got the hang of them. I did find it a bit easier than I was expecting towards the end of the game on the standard difficulty, so I may up that a notch when I download the DLC expansions.

There are lots of repurcussions throughout the game, so you need to think what may happen from your decisions, although none are game ending you just have to approach things differently to achieve your objective. My brother told me that there are lots of variations of the ending that all tie in with decisions made throughout the game, as someone who missed a generation of gaming that is pretty amazing in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

If that's true and the choices you make actually do affect the outcome in the end then that's a real achievement, especially considering the sheer size and scope of this game. Many smaller, less detailed games have tried that formula but failed when those decisions didn't have any effect on the end of the story.

I've been playing a bit more this weekend. Did the Botchling quest, creepy but good. Decided to try and transform it rather than kill it so my conscious is crystal clear ;)

Im also starting to get the hang of Gwent though whereas I beat most everyone first time, there have been a couple who just absolutely destroyed me. I did manage to figure out the way to beat the female armourer in Crow's Perch which I was proud of. Her deck of monsters was really strong, if a little limited.

Gwent? Who said Gwent?  I'll play Gwent. I'll play anyone at Gwent. I often play the same merchant several times with different decks.

Northern Realms easily the best deck. It's easy to get a numerical card advantage with spys, decoys and medics and round wins. Then bully your opponent in the second and third turns with big combos.

That's been my tactic so far (I'm still in Velen) and I play with the second King Foltest leader card in case anyone tries to ruin my day with a weather card. Nine times out of ten I'll throw the first round, especially if I have a spy card.

• Like 1

Really starting to fall for this game now. I just came up against the hardest choice I've had to make so far and spent a good ten minutes agonising over it. I'll put it in spoilers on the off chance someone reads this who wants to play the game but hasn't yet...

Spoiler

The crones of Crookback Bog sent me to the tree to kill it but the tree put up a pretty convincing argument. I struggled to choose and so I spoiled it for myself and read up on the effects each choice had. I don't mind spoiling it so much though, and it seems the choice I was leaning towards might be deemed slightly more benevolent and heroic than the alternative, though I guess the point was that both have their own consequences and I really like that about this game.

Anywho, I decided to spare the tree and free it, in turn creating some sort of nightmareish (no pun intended) demonic Seabiscuit. Tough choice, but I had to at least try to save the kids, right? Seems as if I've sent the Bloody Baron to a grisly end, mind you. Shame really. Quite liked the guy despite his spousal abuse, that and he's a Brummie.

Edited by Ginko

• 3 months later...

Still playing this game, still loving it, still nowhere near finishing it.

I finally completed my objective of completing every active quest in Novigrad that was recommended for my level or below before moving to Skellige. That only took me about 5 months real time :crylaugh: 

So just got to Skellige. It's cool but I imagine the mountainous terrain will become a real ball ache when you're trying to find your way around.

The first quest there was very longwinded so got a bit bored of that, despite getting to

Spoiler

**** Yennifer on a horse :crylaugh: 

Getting nervous about collecting Gwent cards. I thought I'd cleared out most of Novigrad but then I found a new area of the city and new cards were popping up. Lord knows how many ploughing hours it will take to circle back and find any I've missed.

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I started this about a year ago but I just couldn't get in to it. I don't know anybody who hasn't loved it though so I may have to give it another go at some point.

It definitely took a while to really take hold of me.

I think it's quite daunting at first. The world is so vast, the menus are confusing and the scale of what you can do from potions to weapons to armour to herbs to friends etc makes it a very hard game to immediately click with.

But when it does click it's fantastic. And FWIW, various updates over the past year have addressed the inaccessible menus and lack of tutorials etc quite comprehensively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It definitely took a while to really take hold of me.

I think it's quite daunting at first. The world is so vast, the menus are confusing and the scale of what you can do from potions to weapons to armour to herbs to friends etc makes it a very hard game to immediately click with.

But when it does click it's fantastic. And FWIW, various updates over the past year have addressed the inaccessible menus and lack of tutorials etc quite comprehensively. 

It is vast and the menus are quite difficult to get to grips with at first, but the investment in time and effort is hugely worth it in terms of payback.

And I assume you haven't even started on the expansions yet?  The second one in particular, is amazing.  

In terms of opening up the map, upon finding a new area, I liked to ride round on the horse, finding as many signposts as possible, to make quick travel, erm, quicker.  Even in areas where your level is quite a bit lower, you can normally outrun most baddies on your geegee.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I finally completed my objective of completing every active quest in Novigrad that was recommended for my level or below before moving to Skellige. That only took me about 5 months real time :crylaugh: 

So just got to Skellige. It's cool but I imagine the mountainous terrain will become a real ball ache when you're trying to find your way around.

The first quest there was very longwinded so got a bit bored of that, despite getting to

Reveal hidden contents

Getting nervous about collecting Gwent cards. I thought I'd cleared out most of Novigrad but then I found a new area of the city and new cards were popping up. Lord knows how many ploughing hours it will take to circle back and find any I've missed.

Google a Gwent card checklist as there's a lot of quests that have miss able cards due to making a wrong decision. Also, there's a book you can buy now which tells you how many cards are left in each area. Think you can buy the book in White Orchard. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Reveal hidden contents

If you're trying to do a completionist run, Skellige will drive you absolutely insane. As you say the land is all mountains so you can't take straight lines anywhere, and then the sailing element makes everything an even greater ballache.

Testament to how good the game is that that ultimately doesn't matter at all. It's still excellent.

31 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Google a Gwent card checklist as there's a lot of quests that have miss able cards due to making a wrong decision. Also, there's a book you can buy now which tells you how many cards are left in each area. Think you can buy the book in White Orchard. 

That book will be very helpful! 

i've had a look at that checklist before and think I've already avoided missing a few crucial cards.

55 minutes ago, Risso said:

It is vast and the menus are quite difficult to get to grips with at first, but the investment in time and effort is hugely worth it in terms of payback.

And I assume you haven't even started on the expansions yet?  The second one in particular, is amazing.  

In terms of opening up the map, upon finding a new area, I liked to ride round on the horse, finding as many signposts as possible, to make quick travel, erm, quicker.  Even in areas where your level is quite a bit lower, you can normally outrun most baddies on your geegee.

Not even THOUGHT about the expansions yet.

I'll get round to them by about 2024 I reckon

I'm currently on the last 2 quests on Blood and Wine. I love the game and it's in my top 10 of all time but I'm a bit burned out on it now. I've completed it twice, trying to Platinum the game on my PC playthough and I must have spent over 150 hours on it in total. I'm not usually a trophy whore but I do when it's a game I love. Not looking forward to the trophy where you have to get 50 crossbow headshots as I've heard that's a nightmare. 

Looking forward to finishing the game at last but it's the best game of this generation for me. 

• 1 month later...
Â