The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

The areas of the country’s voting system that aren’t strictly first past the post, don’t have tories anywhere near power.

Labour currently hold one of the UK’s governments. Another government, is ‘broadly’ left wing. Another has deliberately built in power sharing.

Could the problem be the club that is Westminster?

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Being reported and I've heard from a few people I'd trust on the matter, that Sharon Graham has won the Unite GS ballot. 

Yeah, it's been on the News

Extensive sampling of ballot papers in the contest shows Graham, the union’s national organiser, is narrowly ahead of both the one-time favourite Steve Turner and centrist candidate Gerard Coyne.

Leftwinger Sharon Graham ‘On Course’ To Win Unite Union’s General Secretary Election | HuffPost UK (huffingtonpost.co.uk)

• Like 1

I don't think Starmer is chasing the vote of the splintered left, I think as Bicks suggests, the 'brand' is enough to ensure that there's a big enough proportion of the splintered left that will always vote Labour because it's called Labour, and there's probably some of that anyone-but-Tory feeling in there too. I think Starmer's Labour party is chasing disaffected Tory voters, those that voted for a gentler form of nasty, who just wanted their pockets protected and to feel that things will go on as they are in a nice, dignified, simple British way -without having to steal from the taxpayer, get lots of women pregnant, lie constantly and look like a buffoon on the international stage - that's the target, that's who he's trying to appeal to. The aim is win an election, not to have policies and beliefs and principles - the problem is that at the moment, Starmer's Labour party are a million miles from winning an election and are losing the splintered left a lot quicker than they're gaining the disaffected soft right - it's a bad deal when you sell your soul for victory and lose.

• Like 4

Only going one way isn't it

So the plan is to lose the unions, their funding and their sway over Labour. Well that makes sense if you've some other way to fund the party, but what donor with enough cashola is in their right mind going to back this version of Labour? This is looking very bleak. 

Sharon Graham has been officially confirmed the new GS of Unite. Got to say that's a massive result for her, I don't think many gave her a chance, and suspected her standing would split the left vote enough to see Coyne elected. 

Will be interesting to see where Unite go from here, and what their future relationship with the LP will look like. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Sharon Graham has been officially confirmed the new GS of Unite. Got to say that's a massive result for her, I don't think many gave her a chance, and suspected her standing would split the left vote enough to see Coyne elected. 

Will be interesting to see where Unite go from here, and what their future relationship with the LP will look like. 

That is a massive shock, she was the least expected of the three wasn't she?

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is a massive shock, she was the least expected of the three wasn't she?

Absolutely. When Howard Beckett dropped out and backed Turner, there was massive pressure on her to do the same. The relationship between her and Beckett is going to be interesting now. My mate who is a Unite Community rep reckons the Labour left wanted Turner, and the ex Labour left, SP, SWP, Judean People's Front, People's Front of Judea etc favoured Graham. 

Also interesting, or I guess not that there was only a 10% turn out for the ballot. Which I guess goes to show the majority of union members aren't that fussed about the political side of the union. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Also interesting, or I guess not that there was only a 10% turn out for the ballot. Which I guess goes to show the majority of union members aren't that fussed about the political side of the union. 

I nearly posted yesterday that I bet the turn out will be pitiful (because it was last time). Almost no-one bothers to vote in it.

As long as the winner starts actually working for the members, instead of on vanity projects and hassling the Labour political party every 5 minutes and being a plonker on national telly, then I'll be happy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Well it depends how you define centrist, but pretty much. 

It depends how you look at it - there's loads of ways:

Hardly anyone voted for any of them - they were all humiliated

The vote was relatively close between each of the 3 individuals and their plans for the Union - none were humiliated

The vote for the other two was much more than for any one of them - so that one was humiliated

Sharon Graham sort of said she'd stick more to doing Union things for members, as did Coyne, so the vote for that stance was much larger - Turner was humiliated.

Delete as apllicable

1 minute ago, blandy said:

It depends how you look at it - there's loads of ways:

Hardly anyone voted for any of them - they were all humiliated

The vote was relatively close between each of the 3 individuals and their plans for the Union - none were humiliated

The vote for the other two was much more than for any one of them - so that one was humiliated

Sharon Graham sort of said she'd stick more to doing Union things for members, as did Coyne, so the vote for that stance was much larger - Turner was humiliated.

Delete as apllicable

Hmm, that's an interesting way of coming at it. Personally I'd say Graham was is much nearer to Turner than Coyne. The way I look at it is the membership that bothered to vote wanted to move away from the establishment as is in Unite, so rejected Turner, but didn't want to lurch to the right and rejected the Murdoch backed candidate. 

My biggest worry from this is the possibility of more petty squabbles on the left, as there are now two left factions organising in the union. She'll need to squash that ASAP I think. 

• Like 1

Winning an election on a 38% share of the 12% turnout.

So about 4.5% of those eligible voted for the winner.

I’d presume a priority would be how to get those voting stats improved, starting by asking why people didn’t vote?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d presume a priority would be how to get those voting stats improved, starting by asking why people didn’t vote?

Because, certainly in my workplace, and Unite is our Union, most people absolutely don't care - because to them/us the Union is for workplace protection, pay and Terms and conditions, health and safety concerns, representing us if we need to complain or talk to high up managers,  - day to day stuff, basically. Who the leader is is utterly irrelevant to all that, to a large degree.

That said the last leader actively worked against our interests, so there was that.

• Like 2

A good few months ago, we were all watching PM’s Questions, and Starmer would sort of land a point in a cool calm understated way. But he would never quite actually go in for the kill.

There was a theory that he was building a case, building a methodical list of well made calm killer points. That one day, when he was good and ready, he would bring all these points together and absolutely smash the shit out of Johnson.

Anybody still waiting?

• Like 2

Â