The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Apparently Andrew Adonis has been quoted as saying that the next Labour leadership campaign shouldn't be restricted to MPs, can only conclude that he's referring to Burnham in saying that

grin.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There are some who claim to be Labour supporters who are really pleased Starmer/Labour have taken a good shoeing in these elections just as there were some who claim to be Labour supporters who were really pleased to see Corbyn fail. As long as there are people like that on either side of the Labour party and it remains fractured they will continue to fail. 

The traditional left has pretty much always been Life of Brian, not just here, everywhere. It's no different to religion in that respect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There are some who claim to be Labour supporters who are really pleased Starmer/Labour have taken a good shoeing in these elections just as there were some who claim to be Labour supporters who were really pleased to see Corbyn fail. As long as there are people like that on either side of the Labour party and it remains fractured they will continue to fail. 

Not sure any Labour staffers or MPs were actively sabotaging Starmer in the lead-up to today. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'll plead partially guilty to this. But to be honest, the guy took over making a bunch of commitments that he immediately reneged on and clearly never had any intention of keeping. On the whole, I think it's better for politics if that kind of behaviour isn't rewarded. So sue me 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'll plead partially guilty to this. But to be honest, the guy took over making a bunch of commitments that he immediately reneged on and clearly never had any intention of keeping. On the whole, I think it's better for politics if that kind of behaviour isn't rewarded. So sue me 🤷‍♂️

And yet Boris seems to be doing quite well despite it all

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not sure any Labour staffers or MPs were actively sabotaging Starmer in the lead-up to today. 

It doesn't need there to be though does it as these results show. You have people who voted for Corbyns Labour who didn't vote for Starmers Labour yesterday. Conversely you had people who voted for Starmers Labour who previously didn't vote for Corbyn.

I'll be honest just as I have for as long as I have been able to vote I voted Labour. During those almost 30 years there have been leaders I haven't liked, been some policies I haven't agreed with but my over riding feeling as always been a Labour party that may not be my ideal is still going to be way better for the masses than being governed by The Tories. 

Just to be clear though had I have lived in a constituency that meant if I could vote Green, Lib Dem, SNP etc and that would be the way to go to beat the Tory I'd have happily done it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I'll be honest just as I have for as long as I have been able to vote I voted Labour. During those almost 30 years there have been leaders I haven't liked, been some policies I haven't agreed with but my over riding feeling as always been a Labour party that may not be my ideal is still going to be way better for the masses than being governed by The Tories. 

Just to be clear though had I have lived in a constituency that meant if I could vote Green, Lib Dem, SNP etc and that would be the way to go to beat the Tory I'd have happily done it.

If I didn't live in a constituency that had an enourmous Tory majority, I'd have definitely voted Labour if they were the most likely competition. As it is, I get to vote with my conscience as there's very little chance my vote will affect the result, this time around that vote was Green.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It doesn't need there to be though does it as these results show. You have people who voted for Corbyns Labour who didn't vote for Starmers Labour yesterday. Conversely you had people who voted for Starmers Labour who previously didn't vote for Corbyn.

I was just being flippant. Actually sad it's come to this - the only gladness is that the snakes are being exposed for what they are, arrogant and clueless. The left of Labour has always supported the team, all the way through Blair too (well most of the way) - but I sense something has changed now. I am not in the least surprised that there is low turnout in London, the disrespect the BAME voters have had since Starmer took over not least with the LabourLeaks debacle I am certain has dented the vote there. Elsewhere it;s due to complete apathy. We must beat the Tories, but I can't help but think that the only way to ultimately live without them now is to move to Scotland or eventually Wales. 

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The left of Labour has always supported the team

This bit can't be described as anything other than delusional. All as bad as each other, always have been always will be. The only reason Blair got a free run was because Kinnock marginalised the hard left so much so that many of them left the party and didn't return until Momentum was born.

• Like 3

In Liverpool, Labour have taken a minor shoeing, by my reckoning they've lost three wards to the LibDems which won't have much of an effect on anything and still had 50% of the vote overall

Labour won 23, LibDems 6, Green 1 and Liberal 1 (yes you read that right). The Liberals pretty much alway win Tuebrook (eff knows why) and the Greens pretty much always win St Michaels.

Labour's share of the vote was 50% (usually about 60%)

Liverpool has also replaced the outgoing allegedly (ha) corrupt Mayor Joe "ChippyTits" Anderson with.... Joanne Anderson but she only got in on the second preferences, She got 38% on the first round. Her main challenger was an Indy, Steven Yip who got 21% on the first round but that does mean the LibDem leader was pushed into a convincing third place which is excellent because he's an utter arse of a man

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

This bit can't be described as anything other than delusional. All as bad as each other, always have been always will be. The only reason Blair got a free run was because Kinnock marginalised the hard left so much so that many of them left the party and didn't return until Momentum was born.

Should have said - I have always supported Labour - and am lefty - regardless of the leader, but cannot comment on Labour left before the 1990s. That said, it can't hurt to look at it all through young(ish) eyes either - just as biased as those of the old I suppose. 

Â