The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was going to make some joke about picturing Ed Davey high, but to be honest I don't think I can remember what he looks like, so 🤷‍♂️

Well their new spokesbod for Wales is the MP for North East Fife so whatever they’re on I wouldn’t mind a quick toke.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm fairly sure I'll forget again in a couple of hours!

You knew what he looked like!

I only posted that pic because of his facial expression (as if he was responding to your "I don't know what he looks like" himself)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

You knew what he looked like!

I only posted that pic because of his facial expression (as if he was responding to your "I don't know what he looks like" himself)

Truthfully, I remembered that he looked like a 'generic white man', but I couldn't have picked him out of a line-up. Very forgettable man IMHO.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Truthfully, I remembered that he looked like a 'generic white man', but I couldn't have picked him out of a line-up. Very forgettable man IMHO.

Well there's been a major advance then - from generic white man to bollen swollock in just an hour or so.

Er, anyway, Labour, yes...

Yeah, back to Labour, looks like Liam Byrne is on course to lose the eminently winnable West Mids mayoralty race:

I saw some stuff online about the campaign being a complete shitshow, dunno how true it is, but this would be an abysmal result.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

What were the margins last time out when Street won?

In terms of campaigns, I had a leaflet from both, but neither of them said anything that lengthened their journey from letterbox to recycling.

The margin was about 1% last time, and the election occurred at pretty much the nadir of Corbyn's popularity as well, so this would be a significantly worse performance. Actually, it should be said that graph doesn't show second preferences, and when you do account for second preferences (18% Byrne, 14% Street per the poll) the gap narrows, but nowhere near enough.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

looks like Liam Byrne is on course to lose the eminently winnable West Mids mayoralty race:

Crap candidate apart from anything else. The Tory one hates Johnson and is basically almost standing as a semi independent from a thing I read on that internet.

Theres so many low rate people in Labour right now

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

Crap candidate apart from anything else. The Tory one hates Johnson and is basically almost standing as a semi independent from a thing I read on that internet.

Theres so many low rate people in Labour right now

I agree, both that he's a crap candidate and that Street has cannily positioned himself as a 'not-your-typical-Tory'. I also think it's pretty clear there's a long-term drift from Labour to Tory across the conurbation, so to a certain extent Byrne is swimming against the current, but a result like this would be a poor performance nevertheless.

• Like 1

Yeah but if it was Corbyn's Labour the faces would melt off anyone even thinking of voting Labour and the entire city centre would have sunken into the earth's core and been transported to the hell dimensions.

As such Byrne is positively winning here.

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I also think it's pretty clear there's a long-term drift from Labour to Tory across the conurbation

Yeah, I agree.

Some think it's because Labour is too left wing (whether it is or not), Some think it's because Labour is too right wing (whether it is or not), Some think it's because Labour "does nothing for me in my circumstances (it takes me for granted)"...and a myriad other reasons - it's too backward looking, it's too obsessed with niche stuff, it's anti-Britain (all those, again, whether it is or not). They kind of have to knock over the misconceptions, and do so without arguing amongst themselves - so if Starmer & Co. do some stuff about flags, or soldiers or whatever, they need to understand there's perceptions to be changed and look at the big picture, not cry betrayal. Ditto if they do some stuff about nationalising rail  or the environment - don't cry "not more loony left ideas"  look at the big picture. 

Labour needs, urgently, to come up with what it's for any more. Other than "better for the NHS". Tory sleaze is something of a starting point, or a differentiator, but it's not "for" something. It seems like the left side of politics is way more splintered than the right, which is essentially just the Tories, again, now. And the Tories, while they'll happily steal a Labour or whoever's policy that they decried a couple of years ago, they're still Tories and they don't actually like those policies - I mean at some point after the pandemic goes away, they'll start (internally) wanting to cut jobs and taxes and rights and stuff and y'know - Tories gonna tory. And when they do, Labour needs to be ready, to look competent, united and capable, with a set of fresh ideas for the modern world.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

decided to have a pint in a pub in Wrexham.

Not quite true though, it was the Wrexham Lager Brewery not a pub but I'd give him pelters just for drinking that muck, or even being in Wrexham at all tbh

Just now, bickster said:

Not quite true though, it was the Wrexham Lager Brewery not a pub but I'd give him pelters just for drinking that muck, or even being in Wrexham at all tbh

You can’t have a pint in a cafe, a pub, a brewery, a restaurant, a beach hut...

Whoever advised that photo op when they are losing votes because pubs are still closed and every other party wants them open, just needs sacking.

He is doing what the tory opposition have been asking to be allowed for everyone, whilst complaining Labour are out of touch..

It was stupid.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You can’t have a pint in a cafe, a pub, a brewery, a restaurant, a beach hut...

Whoever advised that photo op when they are losing votes because pubs are still closed and every other party wants them open, just needs sacking.

He is doing what the tory opposition have been asking to be allowed for everyone, whilst complaining Labour are out of touch..

It was stupid.

It's OK Plaid went there today :mrgreen: But weren't stupid enough to be seen with a pint in their hands, though apparently take away pints are perfectly legal ?

Oh and so did some other people... look they have pints

Ă—
Ă—
Ă‚