The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Again again again I have not said the electorate will hate any mention of LGBT rights.

So, finally, why not just be happy? If you agree with what's being said, and you don't think the electorate will hate it, and you don't know - because of course nobody knows - what issues will be important in the next general election, then why not be happy that a political party which for the majority of its history been hopeless on these issues, now isn't? 

We don't all need to be pound shop Alistair Campbells. There are about half a dozen to a dozen political communication professionals in the Labour Party who need to decide what issues to highlight or sideline, when they trade off rights against political expediency etc. The rest of us don't. We don't have to analyse every issue by 'how it's going to play in Crewe in four or five years', which is both a dismal way of looking at politics and ultimately fruitless, because people are really bad at political predictions. People should be able to advocate for what they think is right, with less of this Monday morning quarterbacking on political strategy. (This goes triple for everyone reading this who spent the last three years arguing for a second referendum, by the way) 

4 hours ago, Jon said:

Idealistic parties can and do still win elections.  Yes, it's not easy, when all the instruments of the capitalist state and the establishment are against you.  But let's not give up the good fight.  The powers that be are desperate for labour to drift back to capitalist, centrist blairesque policies.  The people and the planet need better than that.  

Sorry Jon mate, that's nonsense.

”The Powers that Be” are desperate for Labour to remain the party of Corbyn's Folly, so much so I suspect they'll embalm him when he dies and turn his mausoleum into a paying tourist attraction. He's their hero, , not the working classes.

Why on earth would they want an electable Labour Party?

The fact that the most incompetent Tory Government ever was replaced with a Tory Government with a whopping majority and not a Labour government as should have been the case in any normal scenario tells you all you need to know!

• Like 3

On 22/02/2020 at 13:14, bickster said:

”The Powers that Be” are desperate for Labour to remain the party of Corbyn's Folly, so much so I suspect they'll embalm him when he dies and turn his mausoleum into a paying tourist attraction. He's their hero, , not the working classes.

Why on earth would they want an electable Labour Party?

The activists, "intellectuals" and loud mouth left wing soldiers worshiping Corbyn's figure are probably as far detached from an average voter as the Eton going conservative idiots. 

• Like 2

For reasons I can’t fathom I’m watching Andrew Neil with the labour leader wannabes  ... can I be the first to congratulate Boris on his 2024 election victory 

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

For reasons I can’t fathom I’m watching Andrew Neil with the labour leader wannabes  ... can I be the first to congratulate Boris on his 2024 election victory 

Won’t happen. I predict Boris will be gone by then

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Won’t happen. I predict Boris will be gone by then

I might file this next to your prediction that he won’t become leader of the Conservative party :D

I’m quite enjoying all the mental right wingers on twitter losing it because Khan is polling well ahead of Bailey for London mayor.

Considering the importance they place on having ‘control’ of their little corner of the world it’s amusing how many seem to think they should have a vote.

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I’m quite enjoying all the mental right wingers on twitter losing it because Khan is polling well ahead of Bailey for London mayor.

Considering the importance they place on having ‘control’ of their little corner of the world it’s amusing how many seem to think they should have a vote.

London is a labour stronghold anyway. Miracle that Boris won there twice really.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Must have been because he had a Muslim grandad.

He obviously charmed the Islington metropolitan liberal elite with his buffoonery.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

London is a labour stronghold anyway. Miracle that Boris won there twice really.

The first sentence is true, but it's quite a recent development. The whole city was much more competitive when Boris was mayor.

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The first sentence is true, but it's quite a recent development. The whole city was much more competitive when Boris was mayor.

Define competitive  

When Johnson won in 2008  , London was 44  seats labour to 21 Tory 

when he won for the second time it was  38 labour to 28 Tory

Edited by tonyh29

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Define competitive  

When Johnson won in 2008  , London was 44  seats labour to 21 Tory 

when he won for the second time it was  38 labour to 28 Tory

Significantly more competitive than now, then, when the distribution is 49 Labour 23 Tory, despite the national environment being massively more Tory than it was in either of those years?

Not sure what you're disagreeing with?

Â