The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't take that reading of that at all.

He's saying the issue was used nefariously.

He's correct.

Yeah I think it's very possible, that it was over-exaggerated for nefarious means I mean.

And also that you're therefore correct, possibly ;)

When asked if he recognised the suggestion that Labour had a problem with anti-Semitism, he responded: “No, I’ve never recognised that. I believe it was mood music that was created by people who were trying to undermine Jeremy Corbyn.

“In 47 years of membership in the Labour Party I’ve never been at a meeting where there was any anti-Semitic language.”

Labour list

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I hear a lot of criticism of Israel in the Labour Party. But I can honestly say I have never heard any overtly anti Semitic comments. One should not be conflated with the other. I am a member of the Labour Party.

I hear a lot of antisemitic criticisms of Israel by Labour Party members. It is very often conflated

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

J-word

That would be regrettable. However I standby my observation that I have never heard either that or any other anti Semitic comment in my time in the Labour Party. As an aside, my wife’s late father was Polish, came over in the war. I have visited Poland many times to see her family, sadly I came across pretty endemic anti Semitism in the country. They didn’t even seem to regard it as unacceptable. I made a point of visiting various sites synonymous with the holocaust, including Auschwitz Birkenau, this at a time, before the end of communist rule, when such tourism was not as common as today. It truly shocked me. If I ever came across such opinions within Labour I would resign my membership . That’s not to say that I believe there are no anti Semites in Labour. Sadly no strata of society is without its misguided elements. What I don’t believe, is that anti Semitism is widespread amongst its membership. No more than any other large grouping of people. Indeed I am of the opinion that both historically and currently, intolerant views of minorities are to be found more on the Political Right.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, meregreen said:

both historically and currently, intolerant views of minorities are to be found more on the Political Right.

Left and right is meaningless in this discussion. Stalin and Hitler...

I went to communist Poland and the racism in general was just horrific. Straight after I went to the USSR, it was worse (the only place I've actually heard a black person being refereed to as Blue Boy! to their face!) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Left and right is meaningless in this discussion. Stalin and Hitler...

I went to communist Poland and the racism in general was just horrific. Straight after I went to the USSR, it was worse (the only place I've actually heard a black person being refereed to as Blue Boy! to their face!) 

Yes, my experience was a little more insidious. While watching TV with members of my wife’s family, a common thing was to see Hollywood films dubbed in Polish. Kirk Douglas was in a scene and my wife’s cousins husband immediately turned to me and pointing at the screen said Jude, Jude. I felt like my opinions were being sounded out on the subject. Suffice to say my face indicated my distaste and no such comment was made to me again.I have to say in the whole time we were there he was an absolute gentleman and showed us nothing but kindness. This kind of thing is instilled at birth in Eastern Europe. Sad.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Awol said:

Labour definitely rejecting national credibility as an electoral strategy. 

So, if Labour are in government the party members decide if we go to war... Has he had a bang on the head? Someone call him a nurse

Even the get out clause is already there, ”National Emergency”

How many UN resolutions are there about Israel?

• Like 2

I think a worthwhile goal for Labour is for this country to have fewer and shorter wars. I don't particularly think this is the best way to achieve that, but to the extent it's putting war-reduction in the conversation, I'm fine with it. 

• Like 2

I do sometimes think it's a bit rum to automatically dismiss those who propose things that don't meet with one's own preconceived ideas or what a significant proportion of the current electorate might assume to be credible as 'hard of thinking'.

Â