The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I just went and had a look at the vote on the Queen's Speech last week. (Gov won - 310 v 294)

11 Labour MPs abstained rather than voted against - now two Tory ministers also abstained so I guess two of those could have been paired off but what were the other 9 playing at?

I suppose there could have been a fair bit of pairing going on (Ken Clarke abstained as did Rory Stewart and O'Mara) but it does look rather odd.

Chuck in the two Lib Dems who also abstained (ex-Tory Allen and Norman 'couldn't give a shit anymore' Lamb) and the Soubry mob of 5 and surely it could have been voted down?

A more organised opposition may have managed to do that.

And it’s all in the last line isn’t it, organised opposition.

The SNP have Labour as a key opposition in Scotland so they can’t help them too much, it’s suits the SNP for Labour to look like they can’t organise a piss up. LibDems, well lord knows what their agenda is, beyond hoping to pick up another one or two seats. They talk a great opposition but then their actions almost always make them look like the soft side of the Tory party.

Labour themselves, in disarray. To the point where that lightweight leadership candidate Owen Smith sounded informed, lucid and on his game on R4 earlier today, putting lots of good counter arguments to Tory policy. He sounded ten times better than any Corbyn rendorsed shadow minister.

Perhaps the DUP will be able to whip them all in to shape.

• Like 1

It's choice between two pathetic 'leaders' and pathetic cabinets, very hard to get up for. I would very, very marginally prefer a Labour government, but only just, because Corbyn is absolutely pathetic and he's the tip of the iceberg in that particular party.

The flip side is that Labour failing to win will see the end of Corbyn for good and hopefully the collection of clowns who are loyal to him, utter annihilation of these sorts will be of benefit to Labour in the long run.

Ultimately there's no way I'm voting for Labour. Lib Dems are hardly good but they have at least taken a position on the issue I care about the most.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Honest question - what's changed since 7pm last night? What conditions have been met in the meantime? 

You'd probably have to ask Corbyn or Johnson - I doubt anyone here has an inside track on what may have been discussed Yesterday evening or before parliamentary business today!

Edit: more fool me, looks like Snowy has an actual answer

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's choice between two pathetic 'leaders' and pathetic cabinets, very hard to get up for. I would very, very marginally prefer a Labour government, but only just, because Corbyn is absolutely pathetic and he's the tip of the iceberg in that particular party.

The flip side is that Labour failing to win will see the end of Corbyn for good and hopefully the collection of clowns who are loyal to him, utter annihilation of these sorts will be of benefit to Labour in the long run.

Ultimately there's no way I'm voting for Labour. Lib Dems are hardly good but they have at least taken a position on the issue I care about the most.

It'll have to be remain alliance. Vote for the best chance to beat the Tories in every seat.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Honest question - what's changed since 7pm last night? What conditions have been met in the meantime? 

Formal confirmation of the decision to extend the A50 process.

Edit: And also the Bill, if passed, fixes the date of the election.

That they will 'back the election' doesn't preclude them from trying to amend the bill.

Edited by snowychap

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Probably a discussion with the minor parties leading to a realisation that it will have the numbers to pass without them so they might as well be on the winning side and look like they wanted it as well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

But... but... buuutttt... do I really have to say that this doesn't "take No Deal off the Table"

Ha ha. No. :)

But being generous to Corbyn, he's not the only politician who has mistakenly talked of things in those terms (see all the guff about the Benn Act when passed).

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Probably a discussion with the minor parties leading to a realisation that it will have the numbers to pass without them so they might as well be on the winning side and look like they wanted it as well. 

Maybe but perhaps they've also discussed the possibility of changing the date so that the WAB can't be brought back in this Parliament or so that there's a clause in there saying that if it is then the election's off?

If the latter then it might fail because of Snell, Nandy et al.

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Ha ha. No. :)

But being generous to Corbyn, he's not the only politician who has mistakenly talked of things in those terms (see all the guff about the Benn Act when passed).

That's a generous outlook. 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's a generous outlook. 

I'm not sure it's that generous.

It's been quite apparent that a lot of politicians haven't fully understood the consequences of their actions and the legislation that they have looked at, proposed and passed.

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

taking photos of politicians on trains is a pretty low thing to do

Agreed,  let the poor man sleep and continue his magical dreams of questions about Toxteth O'Grady in PMQ's and Alexei Sayle as the train driver who should be paid a lot more.

45 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It'll have to be remain alliance. Vote for the best chance to beat the Tories in every seat.

Kind of weird to see @Dr_Pangloss liking the latter post after posting the former; in more than 80% of seats, voting for the best chance to beat the Tories *is* voting Labour (sorry). 

Â